cup holder replacement - '01 Jetta

TIDITDI

TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2001
It's cute - but broken. Came right out of the dash. How difficult would it be to remove from a scrapped vehicle and install in mine ?

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Press in the little tabs on each side and slide it out nice and simple.
I think they updated the cupholder design in the 2002 or something so you might want to look into that.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
To remove it you will need to remove the driver's side dash as well as the glovebox, but both of those are easy.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Originally Posted by puter
To remove it you will need to remove the driver's side dash as well as the glovebox, but both of those are easy.

puter said:
It's easy. I think it's a total of like 9 screws. Take you ten minutes.
__. Hey, Poot, have you found a way to get around the "hidden screw" on the glove box that requires pulling the center console? I did my blower motor a few months ago and it was pretty straightforward but it took a good hour or so. And that doesn't include the driver's side dash.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I never ran across a hidden screw. I had three screws up top in the middle, two screws on the left and right that acted as bumper pads and three on the bottom. After I undid them the glovebox came right off.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
puter's advice is not necessary for the cupholder. 4Gman's advice is better.

With the cupholder in the pushed in position, there are two small tabs on the either side of the opening. Use a pick tool, or small blade screwdriver, to pull/push those tabs towards the center of the opening. The cupholder slides out.

puter's glovebox must be in a used TDI (his profile at present says he doesn't have a TDI) that someone previously removed without knowing about the hidden screw. mrG is correct that the center console must be loosened and pulled back to reveal the screw. But as I said, totally unnecessary for a cupholder replacement in the OP's car.

mechanicalbrew

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL Manual Tranny
FYI, i "upgraded" mine with the newer version a few months back. The new style is about 1/4" longer than the old one. I ended up heating a thin piece of metal and melting through the back of the cage in order to slide it all the way back into the locked position.

this may only have been an issue on early 99.5s maybe due to transition from A3 to A4. i dunno. my experience anyway

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
MOGolf said:
puter's advice is not necessary for the cupholder. 4Gman's advice is better.

With the cupholder in the pushed in position, there are two small tabs on the either side of the opening. Use a pick tool, or small blade screwdriver, to pull/push those tabs towards the center of the opening. The cupholder slides out.

puter's glovebox must be in a used TDI (his profile at present says he doesn't have a TDI) that someone previously removed without knowing about the hidden screw. mrG is correct that the center console must be loosened and pulled back to reveal the screw. But as I said, totally unnecessary for a cupholder replacement in the OP's car.
I have no idea about the screw but I see now that the release tabs are accesible from the front, I had not realized that. I only knew you could pop it by removing the paneling because I had to a while back while I was fixing my stereo (one of the release tabs was broken...that was a bear to deal with).

Thanks for the correction mo.