wondering if this is good fuel economy

Srider

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Hi,
I'm new to TDI's, just got a used 2002 Golf TDI (stock) 5 spd wondering if this is good fuel economy.

95% highway @ 70 to 75 mph aprox. 44.5 mpg

thanks for any comments

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
It's down a tad, say between 2 and 6 mpg, depending on terrain and wind. Pump up your tires to 38+ lbs. Replace air and fuel filters (never check the af because of risk of breaking the seal; simply replace it). Make sure the timing belt is current (timing toward high, or advanced, end of register, on Vagcom). Refill to the filler neck every time for accurate mpg readings and an extra two gallons of fuel (search for vent trick, or ventectomy). Above all: have fun -- and don't worry about an mpg or two.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Srider said:
Hi,
I'm new to TDI's, just got a used 2002 Golf TDI (stock) 5 spd wondering if this is good fuel economy.

thanks for any comments
That does seem a little low. All highway in my PD at about 75 MPH, fuly loaded, I get about 48 MPGs. The PDs get 3 or so MPGs worse than the ALH TDIs.

--Nate

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Road conditions and tires can greatly effect this. I would wager you are doing just fine.

tgiaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5s
Srider said:
Seems to me like a good average. I'd love to see those numbers on mine but with a heavy foot and short commutes in all city driving, I shouldn't complain about my 35mpg average...

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Joe_Meehan said:
It is not bad for 75 mph. Drop dpwn to 60-65 mph and you should be in the 50's
I got 50 with the cruise control set at 75-78 MPH with 98% highway... and even some sprints over 100 mph and a few hill climbs and 7000' moutain pass. I do have RC3 though.. but I doubt that would make a 5 MPG difference.

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
Got Bearings? said:
I got 50 with the cruise control set at 75-78 MPH with 98% highway... and even some sprints over 100 mph and a few hill climbs and 7000' moutain pass. I do have RC3 though.. but I doubt that would make a 5 MPG difference.
I love that .658 gear;) . I'm getting 62mpg @72mph but whose counting anyway. Where can you find a vehicle that makes high performance car owners cringe in their seat, look for gears, see through smoke, and still get over 40 mpg.:cool:

tgiaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5s
dok said:
Where can you find a vehicle that makes high performance car owners cringe in their seat, look for gears, see through smoke, and still get over 40 mpg.:cool:
In Europe :D
Edit: Ok, ok, we have a few of those here too...

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Srider said:
Hi,

thanks for any comments
Seems low. I get about 43 mpg doing mostly city. Check your tire pressure, and oil - I noticed lower mileage once, and I was down almost a quart. As a reference point, I drove 650 miles doing mostly 70 mph (indicated) through New England mountain highways, and got 51 mpg.