Looking for a less "mushy" brake feel...

spooality

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6MT
My brakes are ready to be replaced and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to go is. I think the current rotors and pads are the original ones (85k miles) and the front rotors are warped. I'd like to keep the total price under $500. I'm pretty easy on my Sportwagen, don't drive it fast or brake hard, but I'd like to replace the current brakes with something that feels like it has a bit more "bite", if that makes sense. I don't need anything for performance, but the brake pedal right now feels a bit mushy and I'd like to change that. Right now I'm looking at the PowerStop Z23 Evolution Geomet Coated Kit along with replacing the brake lines with ECS Tuning's stainless steel ones, or just getting the PowerStop Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Upgrade Kit (drilled and slotted) and keeping the stock brake lines. The drilled and slotted kit is a bit more and would eliminate the brake line upgrade from my budget. I'm also open to any other suggestions, and I'd definitely be happy to spend less that what I have budgeted so I can save up for some upgrades to the shifter :)

asgoodasdead

TDI
2011 Jettta Sportwagen TDI
usually a master cylinder brace eliminates that mushy feel as well

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Drilled and slotted are not going to enhance your pedal feel, they're an aesthetic mod.

Get some quality blank rotors, good fluid (I use Motul 5.1 in most vehicles... great price for a very high wet and dry boil point), new lines like you mentioned and above all some quality pads.

Next step is the TyrolSport brake bushing kit, which is next on my list. Beyond that their brake cylinder firewall brace as mentioned. Any further than that and you're getting into a full blown brake upgrade.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
And FWIW, I got much the same kit as linked above but blank rotors since I'm not tracking the car. The rotors have lasted almost a full timing belt service and plenty of life remains. The ceramic pads need a bit of heat to get to full bite but they've been sufficient and dust is minimal. I'll probably go with something like a Hawk HPS next as I can live with brake dust and like a bit more aggressive pad.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Spooality; You don't say how many miles your car has but as a 2012, I guess you are near or past 100k miles. At that mileage, you should replace your soft brake lines. As they age, they get softer and start to internally deteriorate. If this condition exists on your car, it is the most probable source of "mushy" brake feel. They swell when feeling braking pressure.

spooality

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6MT
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll go with blank rotors, good pads, and the new brake lines. What pads and rotors is everybody using? The Hawk HPS pads mentioned look promising. Anybody have experience with the PowerStop stuff?

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Be carefull buying off shore brake parts from china, mexico. rotors & pads, calipers etc... these are alot cheaper sold in North America for a reason because theres no Government regulation on brake parts here. to be certified to meet the OE spec prior to being sold. unlike in Europe brake parts have to meet a ECE R90 standard. Euro stop, Akebono are a few great ones just dont buy cheap brake rotors & pads i have heard of cheap semi-metalic brake pads braking apart soon after a brake job makes me wonder if the material used on the pad was made of mud & rice. :p lol

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I bought some amazing brakes for our MK4 with a piston count of "20"!

6 Piston Fronts and 4 Piston Rears. The car stops on a dime!

When I first got in the car drove it, I couldn't believe how responsive and powerful the brakes were. I almost went through the windshield :)

So 4 years later, we have a car with very expensive brakes that we aren't using very much. I would take the car back to stock but the car has been upgraded to VR6 subsystem components so it becomes more difficult.

I only caution you to think about the longevity of the car and if you are going to still be driving the car in the short term. Otherwise, you might be seeing a challenge if you were to try to recoup the money that you invested in the car.

Buyers don't seem to care about enhancements and they tend to lean towards comparables so whatever similar cars are going for is what they are willing to pay.