HELP:Car won't start or even crank

Homebrewer

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS White
HELP:Car won\'t start or even crank

Got in car today and it won't start or crank over, nothing. all lights and buzzers and radio work but engine doesn't crank. No previous problems like this. Where do I start?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL

I would start with the battery. Hopefully you have a multimeter that an assistant can put on the battery terminals when you try to crank. First read the resting battery voltage: it should be 12.something. Not 12 something, battery is bad or needs charging. Is 12+, then get in the car with fearless assistant watching the multimeter, I am guessing the voltage will drop below 8 myself. Dropped below 8? Most likely battery. Stayed at 12+, hmmm starter solenoid or ignition switch.

This is my first high probability guess. But as you have a 2001, I bet it is related to the battery. Hmmm, maybe second I would disconnect the battery connections and clean them.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Manual tranny? Clutch pushed in? If so, possibly a bad switch there.
Auto tranny? Selector completely in park or neutral? Put foot on brake and move selector through the positions and then into park and try again.

Relay 109 failure does not prevent it from cranking.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle

Does your keyless entry work?
I recently had a similar problem because of a blown fuse(#6 in my box-- 99.5 GLS) that powers the "comfort system control module"
What was the cause? My dome light switch fell apart and a spring rolled around and welded itself into a short circuit. It affected the anti- theft circuitry. See if it will push start. Mine did. That comfort module may be exclusive to the GLS model. I don't have the info in front of me.
Pretty bad to think you could be stranded by your dome light!
Check it out.

SilverThunder

Veteran Member

Here's a few options

->Battery dead
->Bad Ground (check under the battery tray)
->Relay 109
->ECU as now power or dead
->anothe module is dead or some wires a shorted

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

'01 Jetta manual.

If the starter doesn't turn over or engage (lights dim), then I would look for a problem with:
a. clutch switch
b. ignition switch
c. alarm module
d. the starter solenoid.

Kspeedy

TDI
Beetle 1999 Red

Always start at the battery terminals. Take them off and clean the oxidation off of them if they look at all suspect.
I don't know if your Jetta has this, but my bugs battery is packed in some kind of fabric with velcro that tends to sponge up all the acid, rub on the positive terminal and corrode through the wire.

Homebrewer

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS White

Thanks for the suggestions. Checked battery with an OTC Accuracy Plus tester and it was good.Checked the other items you suggested as best I could with equipment I have and couldn't fix the problem. Car now sits at dealer awaiting Monday morning and hopefully a quick and not too expensive fix.