R5 TDI engine judder missfire problem

TOUAREG_TDI

TDI
TOUAREG 2.5 TDI,GOLF 1.9TDI
Hey,

Wanted to share a problem I have lately with my Touareg R5 TDI and ask for possible solutions or ideas and eventual similar experiences.

The car is T1, 2005, 2.5 TDi, 128kw, PD engine with 220k kilometers on the odo, manual transmission. I bought it in 2007, amd since never had any truobles with it...

Lately however, in the last 4 months, I've noticed some issues which are becoming concerning since it started to appear more often.

While accelerating above 2k rpm's, i occasionally experience something like a missfire, judder amd sudden drop of rpms. If i take my foot of the gas pedal immidiately everything goes back to normal. If I however ignore it, I get the esp light on.

Firstly I thought it was the turbo, but when this happens, while revving when the car is stopped and in neutral i still get missfires and engine judders very hard on idle. Today i got an Engine Fault workshop in a middle of the highway and the enigne stopped. This was frustrating, but after two key turns, the engine started and no problems occured again.

It happens sometimes and never when the mechanic is in the car, and I don't want to go trough a procedure 'it might be this, or that...' and change every single bit unnecessary only because the mechanic suspects that something might be the cause...

So please, if anyone had any similar problems with a r5 or any other pd tdi engines please share your experiences. Also any ideas on what might be happening would be very apreciated,

Thanks

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Best bet is, if possible, get a full scan with a VCDS. That will give you any codes, and then you can move forwards with troubleshooting.

TOUAREG_TDI

TDI
TOUAREG 2.5 TDI,GOLF 1.9TDI
Best bet is, if possible, get a full scan with a VCDS. That will give you any codes, and then you can move forwards with troubleshooting.
I will certainly get on that today... i thought i won't get any errors when it doesn't happen at the moment..