Is the bew a good engine?

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
I'm not in favor of the EGR system on that BEW engine, particularly the split-port butterfly valving on the intake, but for overall reliability, it has done very well. The cam seems to last longer than the BRM, but even then, I have several PD engines that we have installed replacement cams (usually swapped around 200k miles...) which have exceeded or are approaching 500,000 miles with few issues. The BEW was designed to run. If you keep these engines closer to their initial performance specs, I think even the injectors will last 1,000,000 miles.

Ioiceness, we will be in the shop, regular business hours this week. If you like, either call or email. I'd be happy to offer you an estimate.
In the pic he posted it looks to be missing the egr valve?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the BEW is a good engine. But reading here about concerns with EGR, boost hose connections, the "weak" KP39, and the cam issues, maybe it's not great. If I found a super clean Jetta Sedan with a BEW I'd buy it in a minute. However, I'd also answer the OP's question by saying the BEW is a good engine, not a great engine. It also doesn't deliver as good FE as an ALH.