Found the 200 Ebay FMIC for 155 shipped.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Wait wait, the cheaper kit is 2.225 and the other one is 2.5 and I notice it comes with two rubbber 90 degree hoses that the first does not.

dylanispro

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
few questions..has anyone ever tested the efficiency on these ebay IC's? e.g. flow rate, iat's temperature drop? and regarding the map sensor, how does that work?

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
dylanispro said:
few questions..has anyone ever tested the efficiency on these ebay IC's? e.g. flow rate, iat's temperature drop? and regarding the map sensor, how does that work?
Yes... IATs dropped significantly. As far the MAP sensor, add a flange to the pipe.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
and as being someone who has a 2.5" DEEP FMIC and totally destroyed his front bumper getting it to fit, I recommend a slimmer depth IC, 2" max.

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
TDikook said:
and as being someone who has a 2.5" DEEP FMIC and totally destroyed his front bumper getting it to fit, I recommend a slimmer depth IC, 2" max.
I would definitely have to agree. Deep FMICs are a royal pain to fit and the bumper is pretty much destroyed when you get done... or at least mine was :(

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
My 2.5" thick intercooler fit just fine with only minor trimming.. Joe's fit even better, almost no bumper trimming... The one I have on there now is 3", and it didn't fit so easily..

The cheaper kits don't have the silicone 90* elbows... You pretty much need both of those to do the project, and purchasing them separately will probably cost the extra 30-40 anyway..

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Yea, i noticed the cheaper kits didn't have the elbows.

I need a new front bumper anyway, so I'll use my old one as a prototype.

I'm excited about the FMIC for the price and even if it takes a day to put it on it's worth the extra performance and money saved.

I'm glad ya'll turned me on to it.

TDIJetta99 said:
My 2.5" thick intercooler fit just fine with only minor trimming.. Joe's fit even better, almost no bumper trimming... The one I have on there now is 3", and it didn't fit so easily..

The cheaper kits don't have the silicone 90* elbows... You pretty much need both of those to do the project, and purchasing them separately will probably cost the extra 30-40 anyway..

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
The 'deep' intercooler I was referring to was 3.5" thick. Needless to say both the bumper and radiator support required trimming :eek:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Problem is the intercooler has 2.25 inlet/outlet.. so best to get the 2.25 piping kit :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110519553820&viewitem=
I bought a whole kit for 145 shipped.. it was the same IC but 2.5 pipes. Complained... they are taking back the pipes and I bought that 2.25 piping kit. The fit looks great.. and the IC is bar and plate.
Cleaner13 said:

Cleaner13

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
robnitro said:
Problem is the intercooler has 2.25 inlet/outlet.. so best to get the 2.25 piping kit :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110519553820&viewitem=
I bought a whole kit for 145 shipped.. it was the same IC but 2.5 pipes. Complained... they are taking back the pipes and I bought that 2.25 piping kit. The fit looks great.. and the IC is bar and plate.

your right, I completely missed the 2.25 and thought the 2.5 referred to the tube diameter, good thing you picked up on that

xiledsavior

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
does anywhere carry something like this except black powder coated? I don't want a big silver grin.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
It's better not to skimp $50-60 and get the tougher to fit IC. If you search around you can find a good match and all hardware <$300 and it is still less than $900 etc.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Problem, it has the 2.5 pipes but the IC uses 2.25. Get the 2.25 IC alone, and the 2.25 piping kit separately. Or if you want to get a bigger intercooler, get the kit with the 2.5

I have this IC and it looks like it will fit without trimming.. I will know tomorrow. The only thing I had to prepare was to use PVC couplings to convert the turbo outlet from its size to 2.25 , where the silicone coupler can clamp on to. If you don't want to do that, you can use the stock pancake pipe, which has a 2.25 outlet.

TimDI said:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/VW-BEETLE-PASSAT-27-INTERCOOLER-2-5-PIPING-KIT-/320522112476?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa09b4ddc

This is the cheapest one I could find for Canada. Anyone find anything better any thoughts input on this one?

Roughly $250.00 CAD shipped.

Last edited:

Richptl

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI automatic 305,000 miles
I just bought a 2004 Jetta Wagon and the tubing leaks at the throttle inlet (KermaTDI has a dog collar nice fix for that) and the rest of the piping, side intercooler isn't so great either. It's easy to spend $1,000+ on a 2.5" exhaust upgrade with new pipe, cat, and downpipe. Seems that there might be more "bang for the buck" from a front mount intercooler and larger tubes. Saving on pumping losses (and air leaks) on the intake does as much for efficiency as less pressure drop on the exhaust. I can't afford the $1,000 for the exhaust (make that 2K+ plus with a new turbo). Seems like these FMIC kits are a commodity and competitively priced. Trick is getting one to fit nicely.

This thread is a few months old now. Anyone care to offer me some advice on the best FMIC to get along with pipes? Ebay has a ton of "universal fit" options.

Thanks.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
mine is great quality it was made by cx racinig, make sure it is bar and plate...happy hunting.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
My 3" deep intercooler wasn't very fun, but it fit, and I wanted the same side inlet outlet.

I've been inside CX Racings warehouse =) So many pipes n silicone adapters!

I've moved on from my CX Racing pipes (they worked out fine considering I did the fabbing) to Whitbread 2" or 2.25" pipes. Fit is much better, and the difference is negligible with the smaller pipes.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the job if you have any skill at all, and I'm a chef.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Just did mine. CX Racing 28x5.5x2.5" core 2.25" pipe. $135 + 20 shipping. $70 17/22 rubber hose from IDparts, $25 shipped for 45* silicone hose. Had to do some trimming on bumper cover but not to much, and had to notch the skid plate on the driver side for the tubing to clear (about 4"x9")... Looks and works great :D IATs are lower and it pulls harder and longer in the rpm range :D Took the better half of the day to get-er-done...

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My 3" deep intercooler wasn't very fun, but it fit, and I wanted the same side inlet outlet.

I've been inside CX Racings warehouse =) So many pipes n silicone adapters!

I've moved on from my CX Racing pipes (they worked out fine considering I did the fabbing) to Whitbread 2" or 2.25" pipes. Fit is much better, and the difference is negligible with the smaller pipes.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the job if you have any skill at all, and I'm a chef.
So is Scuba - just look at that rig and you know it's no mechanics car. JK Scuba you know I'm secretly lusting after that wicked ratrod of yours.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I have a 2004 wagon also.

Here is my FMIC

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=300211

$1000 is way too much for an exhaust. You can get a local muffler shop to fab up one cheaper, i got a 2.5 system for $200 installed plus $300 for the DP.

if your not changing the turbo, I would not change the exhaust.

I just bought a 2004 Jetta Wagon and the tubing leaks at the throttle inlet (KermaTDI has a dog collar nice fix for that) and the rest of the piping, side intercooler isn't so great either. It's easy to spend $1,000+ on a 2.5" exhaust upgrade with new pipe, cat, and downpipe. Seems that there might be more "bang for the buck" from a front mount intercooler and larger tubes. Saving on pumping losses (and air leaks) on the intake does as much for efficiency as less pressure drop on the exhaust. I can't afford the $1,000 for the exhaust (make that 2K+ plus with a new turbo). Seems like these FMIC kits are a commodity and competitively priced. Trick is getting one to fit nicely.

This thread is a few months old now. Anyone care to offer me some advice on the best FMIC to get along with pipes? Ebay has a ton of "universal fit" options.

Thanks.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
on a side note on PD intercooler pipework leaks... On the snap lock fittings (where the dog collar goes) and the intercooler connections, you can use a thermostat seal for a 12 valve Cummins (NAPA# THM-1108) instead of the chincy o-rings.. It's a thick, square cut o-ring that's a little tough to get together, but once you get it in there it will not leak or rattle apart..

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
mine is great quality it was made by cx racinig, make sure it is bar and plate...happy hunting.
same here....i used cx racing intercooler and piping. The piping is nice and thick so it doesn't deform when you clamp down hard on it. The clamps and couplers that came with the piping were good quality.