fuel lubricity data- with and without additives.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
tditom said:
I get the sense that you are arguing for argument's sake, TM.
** BING BING BING BING ** !!! We have a winner!

I'd like to see one, just one instance of TM doing the slightest bit of his own research on the matter to prove his position using his required bulletproof, clinical, scientific method instead of flippantly dismissing everyone else's absolutely in lord knows how many threads on these boards. Instead, perpetuating an additive thread legacy of arguing from a detracters point of view no matter what information is provided, posting silly lyrics to songs, questioning the sanity, intelligence and assumed over-active imaginations of those who chose to use additives.

Best strategy you say, a barrel of b100 additives added..? LMFAO, there's some much needed realism for the average person using additives. Personally I can't take that statement as anything but ridiculous (aside from obvious lubricity benefits) in comparison to just using a good, conventional bottled additive.

If someone is that skeptical that supplementary additives have no benefit and do absolutely nothing then prove it FFS!

Sorry Tom but that one sentence is gold as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
More personal attacks.

If you can't present a good argument, attack personally. What? No smear of my personal choices of vehicle this time, WDM???

I have plenty of references in many posts on this board. Trouble is, when it comes to lubricity, not many are available and those that are have been discussed.

TM

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
Personal attacks? More like calling a spade a spade... You can question others' sanity, intelligence, comment on their over-active imaginations and ignorant use of expensive "snake oil" but when you're criticized it's personal attacks? That is ****ing hilarious.

Why do I need to present a good argument and about what? I use a good additive made by a very reputable company well steeped in diesel technology, it makes a perceptable difference in my car's performance, I like to use it and continue to do so? You'll certainly never prove to me that I'm wasting my time and change using some in every tank. It's a choice I make and costs pennies.

Other people posting on the subject have nothing to prove to you either although there has been plenty of data presented that indicate some good additives on the market will benefit the user to one degree or another.

Some of you guys in the States are dealing with substandard or borderline lubricity in your fuel apparently and you're more skeptical about how wear scar data was derived rather than anything else so who posting here is going to prove anything to you at the end of the day really? Just post after post after post that only serve to upset your obstinate, pig-headed concept of sensibility. Evidently any and all sensibility evaporates when one "needs" a third vehicle that happens to be a gas-guzzling monster. I'm sure it makes perfect sense to you somehow though, doesn't it? People make choices and perception is everything. You have no trouble questioning others' choice to pour a few ounces of extra fluid into their fuel (or their character and intellect in doing so on occasion) so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Some additives' abilities to add lubricity, raise cetane and/or emulsify water is pretty much common knowledge by now. Nobody is going to prove to you that you should use them, you don't use them and probably never will. You dismiss any data that would point to a benefit in using any given brand for any reason and have no need for them in the first place ultimately so carry-on with your additive thread induced circle-jerk in a starring roll as the devil's advocate.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unfortunately, WDM, I can't re-read my posts for you, you need to.

Sorry to offend your sensibilities, but I missed out on that 8 passenger 45 mpg vehicle for sale in the US. Must be my devil's advocacy that blinded me.

And don't forget to skip over my earlier discussion of ASTM guidelines in another thread, nor my pointing out that one of only two data sets shows a DECREASE in lubricity by Power Service additive.

But who cares, you certainly don't. What does data have to do with the truth anyway, eh?

TM

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
It's unfortunate that this thread is getting off track because of personal conflicts. I would like to summarize the pertinent FACTS from post #1 and try to keep this thread on course. There is important info here!
  1. FACT: The process to refine ULSD lowers the "natural" lubricity of the fuel.
  2. FACT: The pump components that create high pressures in a diesel FI system are only lubricated by the fuel that runs inside them.
  3. FACT: Bosch recommends a lubricity protection level of a MAXIMUM 460 micron wear scar for their diesel FI equipment.
  4. FACT: Europe and Canada have adopted this standard suggested by Bosch and other FIE manufacturers.
  5. FACT: The wear standard adopted by ASTM for U.S. diesel is 520, and according to one fuel additive manufacturer a fuel can test as high as 560 and still "pass" the ASTM standard. (Due to testing variability)
  6. FACT: Some fuel additive manufacturers have provided test results that appear to show lubricity improvement with their product.
I guess it comes down to deciding if you want to follow the advice of the people who designed the FI system, or not.
-OR-
Assume that the fuel distributors will provide more than "enough" (according to ASTM) protection. (If I were in charge of a fuel distribution terminal, and could save my company $$$ on additives by just meeting the standard, that's exactly what I'd do.)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dieseldorf said:
...T, just how much does it cost to have fuel tested at this level? :(...
PS got back to me and said they do not offer testing for the general public at this time. They may be able to do that in the future.

Did you check with George Morrison?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
U.S. Patent #5,431,830 Owned by ARCH Development Corporation, Argonne, Illinois U.S.A.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Lubricity (Falex B.O.T.D.) 195) — <.300
Lubricity (SL BOCLE) 5800 grams
Lubricity (HFRR at 60°) 0.165mm
Wear scar before 0.34 after treatment 0.165 (scar width cut in half)

Motor Silk

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks! I had forgotten about that one.
link to data sheet.

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the other patent out there that holds water is used by a company named Vanderbilt. I do not know personally although a guy named molecule mentioned it. There is one Japanese patent that sounded very similar. I got 12 bottles of the Diesel treatment half price and all I can tell you is my soot numbers are low. When I did my LM purge I got four or five small puffs of black smoke and then nothing - just clean. You could smell the LM purge burning but no matter how much I reved the engine I could not create any smoke. I was expecting lots of smoke as everyone described when doing a purge,

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
interesting tidbit from twigless
...The big thing for me was the explanation of the delay in the TDIs for the US. Of course, we were supposed to have them in March '08, but in November the dealers got a notice that it would be delayed until "late summer '08". Basically, we get to blame Exxon/Mobil. During VW's field tests of the Jetta TDI in SoCal, they were having trouble with the engines' performance, economy, and most of all, roughness. The engineers dipped into the fuel tank, did some chemistry, and it came out as 100 ppm. This was from local public Exxon/Mobil stations with a green "15 ppm" sticker on the pump! Basically, E/M has simply not been compliant. It was even common to see 30 or 50 ppm at other retailers. Well, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The problem (as it was explained to us) was that the NOx trap burnoff was supposed to happen about every 50k (though it would be clean and effective to happen every 90k). With the high-sulphur fuel, it would clog it up and require a burn-off every 15k-20k. This excess burnoff would prematurely wear the exhaust system... soooooooo, we're getting heavy-duty extra-thick supercalifradulous exhaust systems for the States.
VW did say that their testing of BP ("British Petrolium") and "Royal" Shell corp fuels tended to have the lowest sulphur content; the common thread being that they're British, and they've had tighter sulphur ppm regulations for a few years now (they're still 50 ppm though, right?). However, Shell seems to be a major middle-eastern importer, so does that mean that we should all shop at BP only? Well, BP didn't even exist in CA at least through 2004. Don't know if they're a national company.
seems to me that if they can't consistently make the sulfur requirement, then lubricity would definitely be overlooked.

be safe: use a lubricity additive.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
interesting tidbit from twigless

seems to me that if they can't consistently make the sulfur requirement, then lubricity would definitely be overlooked.

be safe: use a lubricity additive.
Nothing here to correlate with aftermarket additives, which themselves have dubious claims and variable performance.

Better to get the fuel brand names with the best additives already in the fuel. Period.

TM

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just when you think you got it - maybe you don't. I have had three fuel distributors tell me the additives they add for brands is a joke - better to add your own. Who knows.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Changeover to ULSD is not complete until 2010 I believe. The fuel suppliers can still have a percentage of the higher sulfur stuff. Besides, does the higher sulfur mean more or less lubricity?

The ASTM 560 micron limit is supposed to be better than before ULSD, when lubricity was apparently more variable. Also, there is only data from the fuel pump manufacturers to make it less than that which is understandable. Just like VW has to make better exhaust systems for our market, fuel pump manufacturers would need to make better fuel pumps.

ASTM discussions seemed to imply that because most of the fuel in the US gets delivered by pipeline, its more difficult to keep the lubricity much less, compared to transporting it mostly by truck in Europe. Methinks the difference is not statistically significant since data on lubricity related fuel pump failures is exceedingly rare, and we haven't found major fleet operators using aftermarket additives routinely either, to protect their million mile machines.

Who knows? Apparently the fuel manufacturers do. Wish we knew more.

TM

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
Tin Man said:
ASTM discussions seemed to imply that because most of the fuel in the US gets delivered by pipeline, its more difficult to keep the lubricity much less, compared to transporting it mostly by truck in Europe. Methinks the difference is not statistically significant since data on lubricity related fuel pump failures is exceedingly rare, and we haven't found major fleet operators using aftermarket additives routinely either, to protect their million mile machines.

Who knows? Apparently the fuel manufacturers do. Wish we knew more.

TM
I hadn't realised there was a significant difference in distribution methods, but when I checked on the UKPIA site they have the following:
"Pipelines usually transport petrol, diesel and jet fuel. Each year 30 million tonnes are moved in this way in the UK, equivalent to about 1,000,000 road tanker journeys. Pipelines are controlled through sophisticated computer systems linked to sensors and automated valves, which enables an operator to optimise speed of flow and limit mixing of different products within the line."

So in the UK fuel is delivered by truck as you say, but the pipeline to the local distribution terminal does the donkey-work. The distribution terminal is where the additisation of proprietary bits and pieces takes place, into the, usually several, tanks on board the truck. They can carry a variety of products. Which is where the occasional error occurs.....

I'd have expected something similar in NA?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The UK may distrubute by pipeline, which may make sense, but in Europe the mode is by truck so it is said.

The additives are added at the end point, but their cost is too high to bring the lubricity up to the high bar set by the pump manufacturers as I recall.

Again, statistics can tell you anything you want to hear if they are used for that purpose. Until we have a rash of pump failures, the lubricity argument will just be a theoretical one.

My CDI never ran better and it has 138,500 miles on it. It ran worse when I tried additive for a short while (PS). I only use Chevron, Shell, BP/Amoco and rarely Exxon diesel and am very happy. Recent trip to NJ from GA at 75 mph yielded an overall 35.2 mpg. No other fuel related problems either s.a. glowplugs or injector difficulties (knock on wood).

Cheers,

TM

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
I have loved reading this thread. I especially love the (interpolated)statement that we can't jump to experienced engineering conclusions until we have the SPC data to support our position.
I am going to throw in a "hypothetical bit of personal anecdotal trivia" to put the importance of data points and statistics into perspective.

It is a known fact that several million airbag propellant devices on cars built in the US and Europe since 1996 are defective, and after approximately 10 years in service, they will not function at all in a collision. The reason they are defective is that they were knowingly produced from materials, out of product specification, with an obvious (under significant magnification) visible defect and shipped to the end user.
The DOHS was contacted, and eventually a committee chairman was talked to directly by telephone. (Additionally John McCain was written a personal land letter, fully explaining the situation, sent priority mail, with no reply to date). The DOHS representative stated that even though, to it was factual knowledge that the airbag devices were not produced to specification, nothing could be done until a statistically significant number of deaths occurred due to non-deploying airbags.
Facts mean nothing without the accompanying average, +2 sigma deviation variation to support it. I'm sure all traffic accidents in this country are thoroughly and technically researched and there is a uniform data base compiling this information so that when we reach this alarm threshold, we can take the appropriate corrective actions.

Regarding ASTM, I have served on two committees in my career. Unfortunately for the most part, the committees are composed of producers, few end users or general public types generally even aware of the ASTM or their meetings or the ability to sit in on particular meetings. The specification creations are usually done by the raw material suppliers in a majority of the instances, so I can understand how the BOSCH group had their specification basterdized as it was.

I sat in on a roof mining bolt (the contraptions that hold the roof up in a coal or other underground mine) committee meeting in DC one afternoon. We were discussing the minimum strength requirements for a roof support mining bolt. There was no problem with the discussion of the strength of the bolt, but the problem arose when it was suggested that the strength of any coupling needed to be of the same minimum strength tolerance if two or more bolts were required to be threaded together to reach an adequate stable base material. No one on the committee (no engineers in the room other than myself) could understand why the coupling should be required to meet any strength standards.

I understand that this post has nothing directly to do with the USLD subject, but with regard to specifications and the people who create them, it has everyrthing to do with it.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Looks like "good stuff" as far as lube. No mention of how much of a cetane boost it can give though.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
tditom said:
Alterra DieselMaxx:
decreases wear scar from 636 micron (untreated ULSD) to 270.

Apparently made from/with Biodiesel?? (SME based= soy)

I've been waiting for someone to use Bio as a base to build a fuel treatment package upon, and this might be it.

Bill

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The CDI has 161,000 miles of daily driving/long trips no additives, mostly branded diesel. No pump failure etc. yet. I'm taking donations for when my ULSD poor lubricity finally causes pump failure.

Cheers

TM

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tin Man said:
The CDI has 161,000 miles of daily driving/long trips no additives, mostly branded diesel. No pump failure etc. yet. I'm taking donations for when my ULSD poor lubricity finally causes pump failure.

Cheers

TM
have you been able to perform an internal inspection of the components? I've read about how one tank of bad fuel can ruin a pump. Maybe you are right and we won't know how bad the extra wear is for 100K mi. To me, its cheap insurance (and peace of mind) to use an additive that helps with lubricity.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
have you been able to perform an internal inspection of the components? I've read about how one tank of bad fuel can ruin a pump. Maybe you are right and we won't know how bad the extra wear is for 100K mi. To me, its cheap insurance (and peace of mind) to use an additive that helps with lubricity.
The fuel pump is very easy to get at on a CDI. Its right at the front of the crankshaft, staring at you. It costs $800 to replace (parts). I will ask the mechanic if this is a good idea to do at the next service.

Insurance? At least normal insurance is proven to pay. Additives? Not.

TM