Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
And yes I saw the article and comments about the software changes and the changed dipsticks. I thought Mazda's response was about as lame as VW blaming the hpfp failures all on misfuels.
I hear you loud and clear. One of the things keeping me from pulling the trigger on the new passat if the pump issue.

Here is some info on the fix. Nothing specific. In sure the Mazda sites have better info.
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012/medium-4x4/mazda/mazda-announces-fix-for-cx-5-oil-problem-34231

This was a year ago this month. Most of the complaints died down after this point.

All new diesels have issues it seems. I just read about the the Jeep gc diesel and it comes with a warning that the longer you drive it the longer you are required to let it idle to cool down (up to five minutes! ).

How many people are going to follow that? What happens if you don't?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Agreed. I just thought diesel fans were better read than gas loving folk. Lol. No worries people. I'm a tdi fan nearing 300k on my nb tdi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD
You and Brussels don't have to be so defensive about this haha. All I was saying is that the dispstick change itself did not fix anything -- based on your post here: "The oil dilution issue was fixed a year ago with a new dipstick and new software." I was not saying that the new software didn't work.

Oh, and you cannot say that it was a little ridiculous that they changed the OCI to what, 2000 KM at one point before the software fix? I don't care what car you're talking about, that's silly. I have no problems with Mazda btw, had a Mazda 3 for a bit, my friend drives a Mazda 6, and both are great, low maintenance cars with good efficiency. Just mentioning that the solutions proposed were a little silly. So please relax -- no need to attack me for citing something that Mazda did!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I thought the OCI wasn't 2000 km, it was more that it was, "check oil level at 2000 km and change if it's too high".

Which wasn't much different, but hey.

mcH

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
Has anyone heard an updated time / date when the Mazda diesel will actually be for sale?

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I hear the NSA might know? Everyone else is guessing...
The NSA doesn go that far, unless they happen to know before hand that you are particularly connected to Al Qaeda.

But, as to the Software Requirements of the Mazda SkyActive diesel engine, that is a private matter between Mazda and the EPA. Mazda has to "grease the wheels". As we say here, MONEY TALKS, ALL ELSE WALKS.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
2015 Mazda 6 EPA MPG and no diesel

EPA updated website today. 2015 Mazda 6 is now listed. To no ones surprise still no diesel.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
The NSA doesn go that far, unless they happen to know before hand that you are particularly connected to Al Qaeda.

But, as to the Software Requirements of the Mazda SkyActive diesel engine, that is a private matter between Mazda and the EPA. Mazda has to "grease the wheels". As we say here, MONEY TALKS, ALL ELSE WALKS.
Uhhhh...it was a joke?

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You do realize that if Mazda does their homework to make sure everything is right and if this engine proves to be ultra-reliable and issue-free as a gas engine, that used TDI prices may drop like a rock. ;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You do realize that if Mazda does their homework to make sure everything is right and if this engine proves to be ultra-reliable and issue-free as a gas engine, that used TDI prices may drop like a rock. ;)

Here's hoping!

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
2009 Mazda Sky

After reading the article from Mazda, I am convinced that this is Mazda's unofficial announcement that the diesel isn't coming to the U.S. after all. In all the previous delays, they at least made an effort to estimate the revised intro date, but this time around, they are silent.
In its statement, Mazda said a launch timeline for its Skyactiv diesel engine would be announced at a later date closer to launch.
Yep, I understand it as "If it EVER happens we'll let you know after it happens

Mazda fell on it's face in it's handling of this program.
Mazda SkyActiv-D was introduced in 2009 http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2009/200909/090929a.html at 41st Tokyo Motor Show and if my memory serves the hype of Mazda offering diesel in U.S.A. started around 2011 when Mazda was testing the engine in previous generation Mazda6 chassis and circulating it around to test the waters for a diesel Mazda.
2015 Mazda6 is now available at dealers and Mazda still has no diesel.:eek:
Mazda should have kept quiet about this until after the NAIAS and until they had definitive direction on the future of this program.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebus...diesel-again-as-it-cant-get-the-engine-right/

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I suspect Mazda sees no compelling need to bring the diesel to market. Their current models appear to be doing well. D2/RUG differential is not helping either.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
I just read the delay news. They appear to have been working on it, but, can't get it right. Which probably means no diesel for us. I agree the differential between diesel and RUG is so high in my area now that it is cheaper to drive my BMW on premium. Which makes little sense, but, it is what it is...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Well better that than to rush to market like Microsoft with their crap software and countless fixes. Why does MS rush to market - its not like anybody else is out there.
Got to continually roll out the newest, greatest, bestest thingys ever to keep people enthralled with your name, not necessarily the product. And then just to push matters, stop supporting the older programs.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
Here is another article on the Skyactiv diesel delay: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ctiv-diesel-launch-in-u-s-again#axzz2pv9UTdoo
Note Mazda may be forced to use a urea based emission treatment system. If this is true we won't br seeing this engine in North America for quite sometime.
I also hope they solve their engine oil diesel fuel contamination issues or even with a urea based emissions system Skyactiv diesels are a non starter.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've said all along that Mazda's claims meant nothing until they had EPA approval.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is another article on the Skyactiv diesel delay: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ctiv-diesel-launch-in-u-s-again#axzz2pv9UTdoo
Note Mazda may be forced to use a urea based emission treatment system. If this is true we won't br seeing this engine in North America for quite sometime.
I also hope they solve their engine oil diesel fuel contamination issues or even with a urea based emissions system Skyactiv diesels are a non starter.
Adding a Urea-based emissions system (AdBlue) is probably going to involve sacrificing trunk space, and add a source of confusion to the current Mazda owners base who are the potential first buyers.

On the upside, a Mazda 6 diesel would result in a Fusion diesel...

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
Adding a Urea-based emissions system (AdBlue) is probably going to involve sacrificing trunk space, and add a source of confusion to the current Mazda owners base who are the potential first buyers.

On the upside, a Mazda 6 diesel would result in a Fusion diesel...
Not so much anymore. Ford sold most of their Mazda shares, I think they may still have 5%? Maybe less? They do not cooperate like they used to, those days are gone.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably due to the development cycle. Crossover is sure to continue for at least the next five years unless Ford takes a radical move in styling.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
At 94 pages of threads on the subject, I have to admit I haven't read them.

So the question is, what is the issue?

The Mazda 6 diesel is available in Europe and Japan to mention a few.

Or is it politics to keep more diesels out of the North American continent because the big three are not up to speed on them? I have yet to see a GM Cruze Diesel on the road or the showroom; they said they aren't getting them in when I stopped in to get a part for a neighbor's car.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Got to continually roll out the newest, greatest, bestest thingys ever to keep people enthralled with your name, not necessarily the product. And then just to push matters, stop supporting the older programs.
My IT neighbor has a theory that Microsoft sends out fixes for older operating systems to make them slower which then has you wanting their newer operating system.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
At 94 pages of threads on the subject, I have to admit I haven't read them.

So the question is, what is the issue?

The Mazda 6 diesel is available in Europe and Japan to mention a few.

Or is it politics to keep more diesels out of the North American continent because the big three are not up to speed on them? I have yet to see a GM Cruze Diesel on the road or the showroom; they said they aren't getting them in when I stopped in to get a part for a neighbor's car.
Not many Americans like the sound of a diesel car (at least until the appearance of CR engines recently). In fact, most people think of soot and smelly exhaust from diesel trucks and buses when they hear "diesel engine". That is one marketing factor against diesel cars.

The other one is the cost of production. Diesel engine parts cost twice as much to produce than gas engine parts because of the hefty compression associated with diesel combustion. That high cost of manufacturing is either passed to the buyer (it makes our cars as expensive as MUSCLE CARS), or the vendor has to absorb thru a reduced profit margin.

Another factor against diesel cars is all the EPA requirements, which have doubled the amount of pollution control equipment in our cars. Whereas a 2000 VW TDi only had a pair of catalytic converters, our cars have an additional soot reduction equipment, and NOx reducing equipment, making our cars the most complicated engines in the market for pollution control alone.

Finally, there is some desire in the oil industry for keeping our cars off the road, since our fuel economy would hurt their bottom line (and that is not imaginary). In Europe 40% of cars are diesel, and in America it is less than 5%; an increase to 40% would hurt the oil industry of North America for at least 10 years.

The only thing helping us at this moment is the CAFE 2016 Goal of 38.5 MPG, and perhaps not much in view of HYBRID MARKETING...