No power from idle, dangerous when the light turns

manfish

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Black
Before I drop off my 03 TDI wagon at the dealer, I'd thought I'd post here and see if anyone can shed some light on this issue. Occasionally, when it's time to accelerate away from idle, (like when the signal light turns green, or shooting through a gap in traffic to make a left) I push the 'gas' pedal, and nothing. No RPM's above idle speed, no power. (Yes, I'm sure my left foot is not still on the brake /images/graemlins/wink.gif) This is downright dangerous at times! This has happened maybe 5 times over the last 6 months. Any ideas or experience that I can add to my story when I go to the local VW dealer?
-fish

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Make sure the brake light switch isn't sticking and thus causing the ECU to reject your accelerator input because it thinks the brake is on.

If the EGR valve sticks open, or the EGR solenoid valve sticks open, it can also cause a loss-of-power situation until it unsticks. (I've had the EGR solenoid valve freeze open on a bitter-cold day in winter.)

manfish

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Black
"Make sure the brake light switch isn't sticking and thus causing the ECU to reject your accelerator input because it thinks the brake is on."

Excellent suggestion GF, I'll check that out tonight, thanks!

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Gray
I have on 03 Jetta w/auto and I have had the same experience. It only really occurs when doing a low speed left turn. As soon as I apply light throttle, the engine rpm's drop to near zero. The engine does respond after about 1/2 to 1 second. I can not readily reproduce the problem however. This has occured when the temperature outside was over 85 F and the engine is fully warm.

julesjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2015Golf Wagon DSG TDI, 2005 TDI Silver Jetta stick daughter #1,2013 TDI Jetta daughter#2, 2015Tiguan, 2015 Jetta TDI stick
My Jetta 2001 had similiar hiccups. Then my MAF failed. I am waiting a new MB Pierburg to install. With the MAF disconnected from idle it is slow, hi speed is OK. No hiccups at all. Do a vag-com on the MAF also.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I had the same problem. I checked w/local dealer who took it with me for a drive and siad that he had replaced several MAF's and they were expensive. He checked for koking?, and some other things and the total bill was 350.00. I had called Euclid (the local foreign parts place) and they quoted 250.00 for the MAF. I hadn't gotten to this website yet so didn't know about the alternative.
He infered that it may of had something to do with the K&N. I've run a lot of K&N's - they have typically eliminated problems, provided superior service, better performance & mileage, etc. - never had them be a potential problem.

Dave