Oil pump to remove oil via dipstick?

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Has anyone tried removing the oil for a change out by using one of those oil pumps for removing oil through the dipstick?

It sure is a hassle raising the car to put it up on jackstands just to get at all of the torx screws so you can then remove the drain plug. I notice in the Bently manual that they mention that VW uses a tool to remove the oil by some other means?

tommy37

Veteran Member
I can't point you to a specific post, but try a search using oil pump or something similar. There have been quite a few posts about it. I am probably going to get a pump myself--it would quickly pay for itself since the dealer charges $65 for a change.

M

mickey

Mercedes has designed their engines for this method of oil changing since the '70s. I do it all the time, using a "Topsider" vacuum...tank...thingie...that I bought at a marine supply store. (You can't drain oil out the bottom of your boat, so these kind of things are important to boat owners.)

As for a TDI: It's possible, but not easy. First of all, there is a plastic oil baffle in the pan that gets in the way. Assuming you get the hose past the baffle, though the opening for the dipstick, you'd need to ensure that the hose curves as it hits the bottom and works its way back toward the rear, because the front part of the pan is angled upward.

Realistically, you'll be better off just draining it. When I put my old engine back together I intend to rig up a little pipe of some kind inside the pan, just for this purpose.

-mickey

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Griot's has one of these Oil/liquid extractor. Anyone have one?

I too am interested in this.

thanks,

Lito

TVA

I brought my car to the dealership yesterday for it's 5k service. Guess what? They over filled it. I used a hand vaccuum pump (like one used to power bleed brakes) to extract the excess oil through the dip stick tube.
It worked great. Cheap too.

StuFeddersen

TDI
Jetta TDI
I just changed my oil with an oil extractor and it worked great. The guy I bought my TDI from bought it from VW so they don't have a problem with it. It is an HT Moto. Round white orb with a pump on the top. Only problem is it doesn't work on cold oil. have to warm up the engine first to get the oil to flow through the small dipstick tube. Took about 20-25 minutes start to finish and no ramps or getting on the ground.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
It sure is a hassle raising the car to put it up on jackstands just to get at all of the torx screws so you can then remove the drain plug.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It sure is a PITA removing oil thru the dipstick! It is the only way I can get old oil out with my Smart car, and I wish it had a drain plug!!! :mad::mad::mad:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I just changed my oil with an oil extractor and it worked great. The guy I bought my TDI from bought it from VW so they don't have a problem with it. It is an HT Moto. Round white orb with a pump on the top. Only problem is it doesn't work on cold oil. have to warm up the engine first to get the oil to flow through the small dipstick tube. Took about 20-25 minutes start to finish and no ramps or getting on the ground.
...uhhh...you wouldn't WANT it to work on cold oil. Oil should always be warm when changed...

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
Asked for and got a Mytivac 7201 extractor for Christmas from my wife. Thank you sweetie. Am about 3.5k out of my 40k service (that's the first "you gotta pay for it") so it will be a bit BUT am going to use it on my 99 Accord tomorrow. Fingers Crossed! Yes, there is a fair amount of discussion on those "other" boards (VORTEX).

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
You can't drain oil out the bottom of your boat, so these kind of things are important to boat owners
Actually, you can, and I have. For my 19' Bayliner w/ Volvo engine, I'd put a pan in the bilge with a trash bag lining it. Then drain oil into pan/bag combo. Then slide pan to the side, and then pull trash bag of oil out of pan. :D

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
Actually posted this in the Pella or Mytivac thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=403784

Got it done this am. Changed the oil in my 99 Accord using the Mytivac. Worked like a charm! Ten pumps and the oil started moving. Once the oil was out I disconnected the two hoses and put them in the PVC pipe carrier I made, dumped the oil in a drain pain for taking to the auto parts store and disposal. Fortunately the Accord's oil filter is right next to the passenger front tire so I just cranked the wheel over and was able to access it. That was a bit messy but still, no ramps, no jacks, no jack stands and NO crawling under the car. FYI, I did not try the "disbursing" valve on the Mytivac, so can't report on that. Maybe next time. Can't wait to try it on my JSW. Cheers