Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Stories when filling up at \"gasoline station\"

Didn't happen at a gasoline station (saw it on the road in Markham, Ontario), but someone is asking for trouble.

A yellow Nissan Xterra had quite a few "decorative" stickers (my favourite was one on the bumper, with upside-down writing "If you can read this, roll me over"). The relevant one was on his fuel filler door - a radiation symbol, along with the wording "Jet fuel only".

I can just imagine him taking a trip through New Jersey (Oregon is a bit too far), and having one of the following happen to him:

1. Attendant refuses to fill his vehicle, since it's clearly labelled as needing a grade of fuel the station doesn't sell.

2. Attendant knows a bit about fuel chemistry, and figures "K1 kerosene is pretty much the same thing as Jet A" (or, if the station doesn't have kerosene) "It's not going to get cold enough for the higher gel point of #2 diesel to matter, and it's the closest we've got".

3. Attendant (off-brand station only) has heard his boss gloating over getting a good deal on the latest batch of kerosene because it was Jet A that, being "sump fuel", would ordinarily have to be disposed of as hazardous waste. Knowing this, he dutifully fills the Xterra with kerosene, since the "kerosene" the station has in its tanks is actually jet fuel - what the label on the fuel door says the vehicle needs.

dicers

TDI
2005 Golf
Re: Stories when filling up at \"gasoline station\"

I have one where I pulled up to a pump (it was full-serve only) and about 15 seconds later a cube van pulled up to the same pump on the opposite side. The attendant went to the cube van first, then proceeded to take the only two nozzles in the entire station and fill both his 100L tanks
. I was there for probably 15-20 mins for him to fill up and pay, and I had somewhere I had to be (aka MY JOB!).

Another story is from my uncle who had a '94 Jetta Turbo Diesel. He filled up at the same gas station at the same pump for a year. One day after they did renovations and moved things around, he filled his tank up and looked at the total and it was about 8 dollars higher than normal. He then looked at the pump, and it said "Unleaded". He had it towed to a garage so he could drain the GAS out of it!

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI

Well on my way to, and from the TDI Fest last month I would stop at gas stations, like the high volume service plazas and park right at the front entrance door where everyone can see the back bumper of the wagon "Powered By Recycled Vegitable Oil" I would open the back of the wagon and pull out my 5 gal containers of veggie and start filling my car. Needless to say I would get crouds of people swarming around me wondering how all this works. When I was done filling the car with veggie, I would go inside and buy a diet pepsi and get in my car and drive off. I would do the same thing at rest stops too. Damned if I didnt get some strange looks though. Can be a lot of fun.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI

Now a story about the CDI when filling with diesel.... As I pulled up to the only diesel pump at the gas station, I got out and another guy pulled up behind me and blew his horn at me and yelled at me to move my car up to the other end of the pumps so he could get some diesel. I told him that I was getting diesel too, as I was inserting the nozzle by that time, then he got a little pissed and yelled at me, "look dude, move your car up I need to get to the diesel pump, there are other people trying to get fuel here". I said, I was here first and this is the only diesel pump! Then he got out of his Dodge 2500 and started to walk over to my CDI and looked pissed big time, and then he seen the TDIClub Yes its a diesel wrapped around my plate and stopped in his tracks and said, Is that a diesel? I said yes, thats why I stop here to fill up. Then he was very nice and apologized about yelling at me to move my car. I guess he couldnt here me yell back for that very loud dodge diesel he was driving.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI

One last story for now, Today I was getting some unleaded gas for my toyota truck (ugh) and seen a guy from the state testing fuel there. I asked him if there was anywhere in the Tampa Bay area that sold biodiesel. He said, iduno, never heard of it.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

Now a story about the CDI when filling with diesel.... As I pulled up to the only diesel pump at the gas station, I got out and another guy pulled up behind me and blew his horn at me and yelled at me to move my car up to the other end of the pumps so he could get some diesel. I told him that I was getting diesel too, as I was inserting the nozzle by that time, then he got a little pissed and yelled at me, "look dude, move your car up I need to get to the diesel pump, there are other people trying to get fuel here". I said, I was here first and this is the only diesel pump! Then he got out of his Dodge 2500 and started to walk over to my CDI and looked pissed big time, and then he seen the TDIClub Yes its a diesel wrapped around my plate and stopped in his tracks and said, Is that a diesel? I said yes, thats why I stop here to fill up. Then he was very nice and apologized about yelling at me to move my car. I guess he couldnt here me yell back for that very loud dodge diesel he was driving.
Viesel, how can this happen?

The filler door on your MB is on passenger side and the filler door on a Dodge Ram is on driver side.

He did not pull behind you or he was one of those idiots not knowing "on which side it is".

I worked for gas stations for 5 years, I know that kind of stuff...

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI

I dont know which side his filler tank was but he pull right up behind me and started his temper tantrum. Maybe he was going to stretch the hose over, I dont know but he was ready to filler up. As soon as I pulled away he pull right up to the pump and got out. By then I was on my way out and didnt pay any attention what he was doing in regards to his fueling procedures.

schultzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI PD, 2004, Reflex Silver/Grey Velour

He could've had a duel tank setup. ???

Blue_Thunder

Veteran Member

I pulled up at a Diesel #2 pump recently, and had one large diesel pick-up on my left, and one on the right, both filling up with diesel. In each case, the drivers were absolutely fascinated by the Beetle diesel, could not believe it. You should have seen their faces when I told them about my mileage, 800 miles on one tank of fuel!

I find that when people ask about putting diesel in the bug a friendly answer so far has always resulted in a nice conversation about diesel, about fuel, about additives, about mileage, etc.

knarfy

TDI
2004 silver
Stories when filling up at \"gasoline station\"

last time i had to fill i was going out for the night and didnt want to risk getting the fuel smell with my aftershave (cough) so i waited for the attendand while i chose a cd... and waited and waited. i looked over and he was just staring at me with that look we all know..so i just gave him the "duh??" that inspired him to come over and tell me..."thats diesel you know." so i replied....."duuuh!!" basic stoneage comunication works best sometimes.

svanmatr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 04 PD wagon. beige, tiptronic

In the past month I've seen four VW TDI's fueling that were de-badged (no TDI emblem). Some people are ashamed to drive "the dirty diesel".
How sad to lead a secret double life like that.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

In the past month I've seen four VW TDI's fueling that were de-badged (no TDI emblem). Some people are ashamed to drive "the dirty diesel".
How sad to lead a secret double life like that.
I heard the new NB and Jetta TDIs don't have the TDI badge, at least in North America.

Might have been one of them.

twob4s

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Blue

The very first time I filled by B4, I pulled into a truck stop to fill up. Of course I wanted a complete vented fill so I could start checking mileage. After the pump clicked, I proceeded to trickling the fuel in. As I was watching the pump, the pump display was racking up gallons and $$$'s very quickly despite the fact that I was barely trickling in fuel. In panick because the pump said I put 30+ gallons in, I shut off the pump. Come to find out, somebody pulled their Powerstroke up to my pumps satellite and started filling up. Not left with much choice, I paid for the fuel I estimated to have put in and the other guy paid the rest.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V

New Beetles have not carried the TDI emblem in the USA since the 1999 model year. So I bought mine a custom plate that said: "TDI BUG."

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE

My wife got the ones for a Jetta and we put it right in the center of the hatchback (2000 NB TDI Automatic). The car is also wearing a "TDIClub.Com" license plate frame

skinz2k5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005, silver/blk

what year jetta tdi?? my '05 says tdi on it...

Oryx

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a 2003 Golf TDI.

New Beetles have not carried the TDI emblem in the USA since the 1999 model year. So I bought mine a custom plate that said: "TDI BUG."
All TDI VW's in Québec have the TDI emblem(I've seen new Jetta's, NB and Passat's with the emblem too). If it'd be up to me i'd offer to have the emblem on or off during the purchase of the car.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP

[quoteI heard the new NB and Jetta TDIs don't have the TDI badge, at least in North America.

[/QUOTE]

The Jettas in North America do have the rear TDI badge.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI

[quoteI heard the new NB and Jetta TDIs don't have the TDI badge, at least in North America.
The Jettas in North America do have the rear TDI badge.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just the NBs then, who knows.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

All TDI VW's in Québec have the TDI emblem(I've seen new Jetta's, NB and Passat's with the emblem too). If it'd be up to me i'd offer to have the emblem on or off during the purchase of the car.
Wrong, not NB have TDI tags here either.

All those you saw were added by the owners.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI

Where do you get these gloves from?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus

Where do you get these gloves from?

FYI--that post was posted 20-months ago...you would probably do better to PM the person. (And check the date before you reply) Not trying to be harsh--just informing.
Try going to a paint store and getting painters gloves--they last awhile and are almost indestructible.
Cheers,
-BB

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP

Some stations have little disposable gloves next to the pumps for free. I know most Meijers pumps do so every time I drive back to Michigan, I stop off and grab a 'few' and just keep them in the trunk.

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI

Sure thing. I am sorry, I did not know it would be an issue to post a question even if was that old...just was researching, trying to come up to speed on this stuff and thought these gloves would be a good ides. Thanks for the heads up and I hope to find them where you suggest.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)

Welcome to the club! I wish I had some stories to tell, but at the fleet fueling station I get my B20 from, nobody bats an EYE when I pull up in my Jetta and tie, next to armored trucks and big diesels. They're all great, and smile like grandparents at my TDI.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP

I dont really have a story, but when I filled up today I looked at the pump to see what the last person pumped. They took 100 gallons for a total of $221. Thats a lot of diesel at one fill up. What has a 100 gal tank?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI

I dont really have a story, but when I filled up today I looked at the pump to see what the last person pumped. They took 100 gallons for a total of $221. Thats a lot of diesel at one fill up. What has a 100 gal tank?
Coulda been a semi-truck, box truck, or other large truck, or someone who has a diesel generator.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)

A Bus or commercial truck with dual tanks or a Pickup with a pumper tank in the bed. Maybe it was 8 or 9 TDI's having a fillup on a stollen Credit Card

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

Don't know what the tank size on those large RVs are (some run on diesel). I would say probably a pickup with one of those bed tanks. Those extra tanks can hold quite a bit.