Easiest way to R&R 2006 BRM Jetta Turbo

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
What is the simplest procedure to R&R the turbo on a 2006 Jetta?
Can it be done w/o removing the egr?

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
EGR doesn't have to come out but the EGR cooler does.

Turbo will come out the bottom of the car with the cooler pulled. IIRC pulling the passenger side axle might be necessary too. It has been awhile but you may be able to get away with just unbolting the inner flange of the axle and it might swing out of the way enough to slide the turbo past.

Some will say to replace the oils supply hard line with a catastrophic turbo failure like yours. It is a super pain to do on a BRM. I would at least unbolt it at both ends and blow back through it with compressed air to make sure it is clear, if not just going ahead and replacing it anyway.

bquick

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MT
I dropped the passenger side axle completely. It was definitely easier that way.

I was able to reuse my oil supply line; I didn't frag or seize my turbo. If I were in your shoes, I would drain the oil before turning the motor over and replace the supply line in case anything made it into the sump. I was going to replace mine, but due to the amount of things it looked like I'd have to remove to get to where it bolts to the block, I decided not to. I turned the engine over to verify the the supply line wasn't blocked prior to installing the new turbo.

IIRC, to remove the turbo from the bottom, you'll have to remove:
- Intercooler output to ASV pipe
- Intake adapter to the turbo
- VNT harness
- O2 sensor - I would cut a wrench short or get the VW tool
- Exhaust
- Oil return tube
- EGR cooler to EGR manifold
- EGR cooler; I left the coolant hoses attached so I didn't have to drain my coolant.

Wrestling the turbo out the bottom of the car was fun. Getting it around the EGR cooler was difficult. I reused the exhaust manifold gasket, just cleaned it up. The kit I got also had an intake manifold gasket, so I'm thinking that pulling the plenum bulkhead would allow you to pull the ASV valve, EGR and intake which would allow you to pull the turbo out the top.

Your choice, spend 6 hours on your back under the car, or ? hours leaning over the engine compartment.

Cheers,

Bryan

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We take them out the bottom, with the right axle removed. Axles come out really easy on the A5, because you don't need to unbolt/remove anything from the suspension. It just comes out.

Hardest part for me on the BRM turbo is getting the charge air hose to let go, and keeping it sort of out of the way while you actually R&R the turbo off the studs on the head.

Also, I remove the throttle flap and EGR valve just to make it a bit easier to get back in there and mess with the downpipe/catalyst clamp. You can also remove the firewall section from the body if you think you need more room... that requires removal of the wiper arms and cowl trim, but is pretty easy to do.

I leave the oxygen sensor on the catalyst, just unplug it and take the whole assembly down and out of the car.

Consider a new EGR cooler... if yours is not leaking yet it will be soon, and now is the time to replace it.

bcdiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta
What is the simplest procedure to R&R the turbo on a 2006 Jetta?
Can it be done w/o removing the egr?
I'm currently attempting to remove and then replace my turbo with a pd140, how ever this is my first time ever doing anything like this. Would you guys have any pictures or links to a video for a diy guide? Thanks it would be super helpful.

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold
I'm currently attempting to remove and then replace my turbo with a pd140, how ever this is my first time ever doing anything like this. Would you guys have any pictures or links to a video for a diy guide? Thanks it would be super helpful.
I should be putting mine in this weekend w/ a brand new EGR cooler. I'll take pics. Did you ever get your car back online?

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
EGR delete it do your self a big favor if you intend to keep it long term . JMO

atikovi

Veteran Member
We take them out the bottom, with the right axle removed. Axles come out really easy on the A5, because you don't need to unbolt/remove anything from the suspension. It just comes out.
Can you elaborate on that? Just remove the center bolt at the wheel hub and bolts at the transmission flange and the axle comes out? No need to separate the tie rod end or the ball joint or the knuckle from the strut?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Can you elaborate on that? Just remove the center bolt at the wheel hub and bolts at the transmission flange and the axle comes out? No need to separate the tie rod end or the ball joint or the knuckle from the strut?
That is the way I remember it. Once removed, the inner axle side can be dropped down such that it is easily removed once the axle nut is removed. Very easy indeed. However, be very careful to insure no load stress is on the hub, as unlike many cars I have seen, the VW wheel bearing can be damaged if there is stress on it without the axle and nut correctly installed beforehand.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I got the axle bolt out but can't seem to drive the axle out.
I think the axle should not be removed from the car. The 6 bolts holding the axle connected to the DSG should be removed and the axle be moved out of the way to make room for the turbo removal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Shockj2000

TDI
99 jetta
2006 brm turbo swap

Hi
I just picked up an 06 from a friend he said one day he was down the street from his house and he heard a loud noise followed by tons of smoke and no power. He limped it back and started it once or twice since then with it smoking real bad. I haven’t fully inspected the turbo but it seems to be very loose and doesn’t spin easy with my finger. I don’t think it Grenaded completely but it was leaking oil I’m sure which was causing the smoke

I located a used one at the junkyard clean with low miles 145k and it spins easily. It’s tight as well.

My question is. Me and another guy were pulling the junk yard one and man it’s a pain. So can I just use the intake side of the turbo as well and the cartridge and just clean the manifold side with it upright in the car and line it all up to cut corners?

Last edited:

ed cas

TDI
mk 5 1.9l
i needed a clutch on my auto/manuel trans, on a 06 jetta tdi, so i tried to pull eng and tranny out from top and did not fit so i had to take the front clip off and it so much easier to work on it outside of the car.. was pretty easy..
i got a stage 3 clutch and plan on assembling it back with old turbo. cleaned actuator and backdraft valve also the egr valve got a good cleaning with the cooler.. since front end was off got new struts, cv joints and disc/brake kit, new sway bars mounts.. 112k miles on figured worth the effort..