Which ECU programs pass OBD2 Readiness?

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Hi,
I am curious as to which programs (chips) would show OBD2 readiness as OK. I want to upgrade to a 22psi program, and my current RC3 program does not pass OBD2 readiness in Vag Com. My state does not do OBD2 checking (yet), but I would like to have something that wouldn't give me a problem in the future (or if I move to a state that does OBD2 tests on diesels).

Anyone who gets OBD2 checks and is chipped and passes? Let me know. Maybe we can have a list set up someday.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Yeah, I would not compromise. I know that my RC ASV tuning would not pass, but Jeff would help me out or I could just get a 2nd ECU....

Jason

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
robnitro said:
Hi,
I am curious as to which programs (chips) would show OBD2 readiness as OK. I want to upgrade to a 22psi program, and my current RC3 program does not pass OBD2 readiness in Vag Com. My state does not do OBD2 checking (yet), but I would like to have something that wouldn't give me a problem in the future (or if I move to a state that does OBD2 tests on diesels).

Anyone who gets OBD2 checks and is chipped and passes? Let me know. Maybe we can have a list set up someday.
one of my friends (LVPAJetta) has RC(I think 3) and shows OBD2 readiness as OK.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
yes if you have removed the egr guts and egr cooler like I have, getting a chip tune will stop the CEL that comes up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We have this issue here, RC2 will fail our test. It shows ALL readiness monitors as "N/A"...which means immediate failure. :(

I have asked Jeff about this, and have not really gotten much of a response. I am thinking the VAG-switchable tune is the answer, but I need one in front of me to check for certain.

VE TDIs only have 2 available monitors anyways, EGR and Comprehensive Component. PDs have some more, as they have feedback control so they add Oxygen sensor, fuel system (feedback) as well as Misfire.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
yea all mine tested failed or incompleted the first time I did it, now just the egr system failed eveything else says passed.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, failed is different than not-applicable. Right now I still am not sure what our OBD test is looking for on the diesels, as it is new to us and has been delayed until October :rolleyes:

But from what I can decipher right now, a full "N/A" across the board will be a failure for sure.:cool:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
oilhammer said:
We have this issue here, RC2 will fail our test. It shows ALL readiness monitors as "N/A"...which means immediate failure. :(

I have asked Jeff about this, and have not really gotten much of a response. I am thinking the VAG-switchable tune is the answer, but I need one in front of me to check for certain.

VE TDIs only have 2 available monitors anyways, EGR and Comprehensive Component. PDs have some more, as they have feedback control so they add Oxygen sensor, fuel system (feedback) as well as Misfire.
How are you checking readiness in VAG-COM? What version VAG-COM do you have? Older versions of VAG-COM supposedly don't know anything about a TDI's readiness monitors.

I have RC3 in my 02 Golf and RC2(PD) in my 05 PD Jetta Wagen. The readiness monitors can't be looked at via measuring blocks in the 02 Golf but can be looked at with the 05 PD JWagen. I have a recent version of VAG-COM (607.<whatever>). To look at readiness in the 02 Golf, I use the "Generic OBD" mode instead connecting to the ECU the usual way. In my 05 PD Jetta Wagen, I can look at it either way and see the readiness status.

I've never had a problem with readiness monitors in the 02 Golf and the RC3 tuning had no effect on readiness monitors. I noticed after a recent clearing of codes (weren't any at the time), the "comprehensive components" monitor took a while to reset. EGR set itself rather quickly (and I have a DG racepipe BTW). I had to drive around 50-100 miles for it to be set. In my 05 PD JWagen, it took close to 500 miles for the "comprehensive components" monitor to set.

I recently went through state safety and emissions (OBD II scan) in NH. I made absoluely sure there were no stored codes and readiness monitors were set before I went for the inspection of each car.

Good luck.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I am using the hex com with version 704 of vag com, took a while for the tests to go through the first time I tried it all 3 components failed now just the egr system does and the others are good.

oilhammer

TDI
I am using the latest Pro-version of VAG-COM, and I admit I have only looked at 2 modded cars...both are "fixed" RC2, and both showed N/A for ALL the monitors, even the ones I know should be there on these ALH cars.

Same as with the other scantools under "generic" mode, which is what SysTech will be using anyways.

I have a few customers with different software, and I will be checking them as they come in for some comparision. Seems there is a wide variety of what RC programs you can have.

This stinks because I was wanting to get reprogramming for my B5 in October, as Jeff is supposed to be nearby then. However nobody can seem to say for sure if my car will in fact still pass an OBD test or not.

I actually was thinking about starting a thread like this, and am glad someone did. It would be nice for EVERYONE that can to check the readiness on their modded cars and report here...itemized, what is N/A, and what is passed. We all know the Evap monitor will always be N/A on a TDI, as would SAI, etc.

n1das

TDI
oilhammer said:
Yeah, failed is different than not-applicable. Right now I still am not sure what our OBD test is looking for on the diesels, as it is new to us and has been delayed until October :rolleyes:

But from what I can decipher right now, a full "N/A" across the board will be a failure for sure.:cool:
After clearing DTCs in the ECU in my 02 Golf, all readiness monitors showed "Failed or incomplete." After a while, they changed to "Passed." I looked at them in Generic OBD-II mode. Generic OBD-II mode is for scanning non-VW group cars. I haven't tried it yet on a non-VW car yet. I used this mode because it's the only way to look at readiness in my 02 Golf and I believe that whatever information can be seen in this mode is what will be seen during my inspection.

When I looked at readiness monitors in Generic OBD-II mode, none of them showed "N/A" at all. Instead of N/A, several systems showed "Not installed" and is not considered a fail. If you're looking at readiness by logging into the ECU and looking at measuring blocks or hitting the "readiness" function button, they may show N/A status because they don't exist. Looking at them in Generic OBD-II mode instead may show them as "not installed."

I recently went through this in NH during my annual inspection and didn't have a problem at all.

Good luck.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, what does the OBD test specifically in your area? Some OBD tests are just for DTCs and proper MIL function, and they do not check readiness. Do you have a list of what is checked?

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Some States will simply ignore unsupported monitors while others will compare your OBD fingerprint against what should be supported as well as PCM ID and other specific fields, if the fingerprint data doesn't match their "gold" data it's either failed or referred to a referee system, this is primarily used to catch folks who connect the workstation OBD port to a known good car ( clean piping ).

Every State does it a little differently... newer programs will always have more powerful fraud detection as EPA and thus each individual States are pushing for it.

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
oilhammer said:
I am using the latest Pro-version of VAG-COM, and I admit I have only looked at 2 modded cars...both are "fixed" RC2, and both showed N/A for ALL the monitors, even the ones I know should be there on these ALH cars.

Same as with the other scantools under "generic" mode, which is what SysTech will be using anyways.

I have a few customers with different software, and I will be checking them as they come in for some comparision. Seems there is a wide variety of what RC programs you can have.

This stinks because I was wanting to get reprogramming for my B5 in October, as Jeff is supposed to be nearby then. However nobody can seem to say for sure if my car will in fact still pass an OBD test or not.

I actually was thinking about starting a thread like this, and am glad someone did. It would be nice for EVERYONE that can to check the readiness on their modded cars and report here...itemized, what is N/A, and what is passed. We all know the Evap monitor will always be N/A on a TDI, as would SAI, etc.
Wow, strange....maybe different versions of tuning exist for a particular RC stage. Jeff's tweaking probably evolved over time as he does his R&D work. A newly chipped car probably got whatever his lastest version was for a particular RC stage.

Now that I'm passed my inpection in NH, I can grab some screenshots of what I got and post them.

02 Golf TDI: Chipped by Jeff w/RC3 3/4/2005 at 1st HO5G GTG in NH (Saturday after Peter and Julie's wedding).

05 PD JWagen TDI: Chipped by Jeff w/PD-RC2 on 4/1/2006 at HO5G GTG in NH.

It's worthwhile to list WHEN chipping took place to get an idea of different versions of tuning might exist.

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
oilhammer said:
OK, what does the OBD test specifically in your area? Some OBD tests are just for DTCs and proper MIL function, and they do not check readiness. Do you have a list of what is checked?
I have it on the NH emissions inspection report. It DID show readiness status reported PASSED but didn't specifically list which monitors were looked at. Testing was done with key in "ignition" and ON but engine not running. NH doesn't check for codes while the engine is running.

AFAIK, NH checks for DTCs, proper MIL function, and readiness. My report showed a clean pass everywhere. I'll work on scanning in the document to post (with personal info blocked out).

oilhammer

TDI
Sounds good. And it would be great if some others with non-stock programming could check for readiness as well.

n1das

TDI
OK here's my readiness data from VAG-COM on my 02 Golf....

Car: 02 VE Golf TDI, "only" 252k miles on it now, chipped at 147k miles w/RC3 3/4/2005 at 1st HO5G GTG in NH.

Here's what comes up when accessing the ECU in VAG-COM:

I then clicked on the "Readiness" button and here's what I got:

I dunno why this feature doesn't work on my 02 Golf. It works on my 05 PD JWagen though.

I found the readiness bits can be looked at by looking at Measuring Block Group 017:

I then closed access to the ECU (clicked "Done, Go Back" and then clicked "Close controller, Go Back") and then looked at readiness in Generic OBD-II mode. Everything valid showed PASSED and checks with the readiness status in Measuring Block Group 017.

Then I cleared all DTCs in the ECU (even though there weren't any) and this reset all readiness bits to "Failed or Incomplete" status. Here's what VAG-COM shows in Generic OBD-II mode:

Finally, I looked at the readiness bits again via Measuring Block 017:

Notice the 3 bits of interest have changed from 000 to 111, indicating "not yet ready" status.

Eventually the "Failed or Incomplete" status of each will change to "Passed" after driving the vehicle for a period of time. Driving should include at least one highway trip and getting on WOT a couple of times. Mine had all changed to Passed status after at least 100 miles of driving. I drive a minimum of 106 miles/day with my daily work commute, so driving enough to get everything to change to Passed status wasn't hard. OTOH, my 05 PD Jetta Wagen took a bit longer for everything to change to Passed status...around 500 miles! :mad:

Hope this information helps. :cool:

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Excellent work Dave!:D Couldnt have done it better myself! I seem to remeber Jeff saying the Euro programming is the OBD difficut one. The other programming worked fine. I overheard someone ask him just recently. To be absolutely certain, I'd ask him.

n1das

TDI
This thread is very timely for me because I just went through this last week with my annual NH safety+emissions inspection. The emissions part of the inspection is an OBD scan. I'm glad NH chose to do OBD scans instead of tailpipe testing. ;) I scanned both cars w/VAG-COM to make sure everything was OK before going for my inspection on each car. :cool:

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
See where yours says "passed" in the generic OBD2 screen? The RC2 ones I have scanned say "N/A" and they ALWAYS show that, no matter what. I also double checked it with both my cheapo generic Actron scantool and our Toyota Vetronix Mastertech on the generic OBD2 side. Both those said the same thing as well. So it seems like there must be some variance in software for the RC programs.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
oilhammer said:

I need to know the answer to this too, because Virginia (Northern VA only), where I live, just instituted OBD II testing for diesel passenger cars. Does my VAG-COM indicate the "readiness code" status?

Never mind, I should have read further down in the posts before asking.

Tx.

--Nate

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi,
I've posted this before. The 1z, AHU, ALH, BEW, etc USA ecu's have no problems with obd2 readiness and standard RC tunings.

It's the custom euro tunes AFN/AHF/ASV110 tunes that don't support readiness - period! I'm working on resolving this, but its a low priority for offroad high performance tunings.

If you are an RC customer with obd2 readiness required in your state, please contact me and I'll be glad to either reprogram your ecu to an obd2 complient firmware, or give loaner ecu.

Please don't bug Ross-tech with obd2 questions if you are running RC euro110 high performance firmware in your ecu. Bug me please.
sorry uwe :-(

Jeff

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Hey, Jeff, thanks for the clarification. I will have these folks contact you if the issue comes up. We are STILL not 100% certain on what our new OBD testing is actually looking for on the diesels. But if it is anything like the gassers (which I suspect it will be) they will want readiness.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Here is Virginia's program (Diesel cars were added this July):

https://www.deq.virginia.gov/mobile/mobobd.html

AND

http://www.deq.virginia.gov/mobile/mobobdm.html

The car will be rejected from testing if the "readiness codes" are not set. In other words, the owner will be asked to come back later to see if the rediness is reset, and if so, then the car will be tested for stored codes. Also, the CEL has to be functional (comes on with key on and goes off after the engine starts).

Diesels are tested in exactly the same way as gas cars for OBD II.

"During the OBDII inspection process, the emissions inspection analyzer asks the vehicle’s OBDII system to provide the status of all of its OBDII monitors. If there are too many monitors that indicate “Not Ready,” the analyzer will reject the vehicle from testing. For most 1996 to 2000 model year vehicles, up to two (2) monitors are allowed to be in a “Not Ready” condition. For most 2001 and newer model year vehicles, only one monitor is allowed to be in a “Not Ready” condition. If more than the allowed number of monitors are “not ready,” the vehicle will be rejected from testing. In addition, if the vehicle failed the initial emissions inspection for a “catalyst related” diagnostic trouble code, then the catalyst monitor must be “ready” in order to complete the re-test, regardless of the normal allowance of not-ready monitors.

If the vehicle is not ready to be tested – that is, if it has been rejected from testing due to more than the allowed number of monitors being “not ready” – it will need to be driven in order to meet the necessary Drive Cycle(s) for the monitors that are reported as “Not Ready.” Information regarding specific Drive Cycles and what conditions are needed to meet the requirements of certain monitors may be available from your vehicle manufacturer, repair shops, aftermarket publications or the internet."

I do not think the catalysts test referred to above applies to diesels in VA. The emissions out the tailpipe ARE NOT checked.

:mad:

--Nate

Last edited: