EA288 TDI engine review, real life MPG

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
OP, perhaps this owners experiences are worth following. For now, its too early to judge both FE and reliability.
Reliability: 1st 2015 Passat TDI - bad car, 2nd 2015 Passat TDI - great car without any issue.

Fuel economy: still too early to tell with conviction BUT so far, the new engine is delivering better fuel economy. Up to 2k miles, was getting very high 40s mpg (hwy) and now that I'm in the 2k handle, it's above 51 mpg. Typical trip is slightly more than 300 miles, large majority of it being interstate. For reference, with my 2012 at the same mileage, it was a struggle to get 43 mpg. When the engine is fully broken in, I'm estimating low 50s as the norm for highway fuel economy but secretly hoping for mid 50s.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'm with those who say to look at the curves on Fuelly. I haven't measure my mileage any other way, using pen and paper off the pump receipt and odometer, since the car was new (now at 21,XXX), and I'm sitting smack at the peak of the curve. Why look further, the numbers don't lie.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
I'd love to plow mileage on a new one, and perhaps expedite the learning curve on what sucks about the engine or the car. Logged 120000km last year. Gimme 2 years, I'll give you 10 years of the avg person's results :)

But I don't believe in buying new. Not for my personal situation. Not financially wise. But I'll see in 10 years how they fare out, and we'll see if I replace my 22 year old golf(then, 12 now).

You'd think manufacturers would give a guy like me a break to be a test pilot /driver/whathaveyou.

Call me Mr RnD hehehe

FJR1300

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6 Spd Manual
Anyone out there with a 2015 VW TDI:
How is the new EA288 engine? How is the MPG in real life? Is it much better than the previous models? Any downsides to the new engine? What are your thoughts?
I never trust the numbers they put on the stickers because I had a 2000 Jetta TDI that got 50+ mpg.
Hello VodkanDiesel,

I'm brand new to the forum, brand new to the TDI. I purchased a MK VII 2015 Golf TDI SE with a 6 spd manual transmission. As I have only owned the car but two weeks and only have filled it once. This is what I can tell you from personal experience; sticker says 33 mpg city 45 mpg highway

Actual experience; filled the car up taking 9.973 gallons diesel
trip meter said I had driven it 473.9 miles since picking the car up
473.9 / 9.973 = 47.518 miles to the gallon.

Hoping to see these kind of results in the future if not better?…while I have you
all on line, I remember coming across a chart that another member had put up about cetane numbers and how each provider such as shell, mobil, amoco, texaco etc., etc., compared….I've done searches, but I can't seem to relocate that information. Can anybody help redirect me?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Congrats on the new TDI!
Your computation assumes that you topped the car off at the beginning of the 474 miles.

CZguy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Congrats on the new TDI!
Your computation assumes that you topped the car off at the beginning of the 474 miles.
Good point. I always fill the car at the lowest pump setting, but I know how much diesel foams. How long should I wait in order to top off the tank?

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Vodkan... I have 9 (working on 10 consecutive 52+ MPG tanks in my 15 Golf. In addition the great mileage I love the car, it is crazy quiet, comfortable the stock radio/Bluetooth is perfect. Love it!

If you look at fuelly you will see that the 15 Golfs seem to perform better than previous years, for whatever reason I am a positive outlier.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What type of driving (speed, technique, traffic, temperature) are you doing to get 52 MPG?

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Just my commute, it is longer and slower than most. 25 miles door to door about 19 miles of country road and 6 miles of highway. The car is on Fuelly. Gretchen TDI. I drive slower now than when I started which is reflected in my mileage gain (57 last tank) I try to drive 45 on the back roads but in some spots it is not practical. The speed limit is 55 on my short but if highway and I keep it at 60. Few short trips also helps.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That makes sense. My '12 would get similar economy in that kind of driving. I get 50+ driving 65 or so. 46-48 at 75-80, more my normal speed.

FJR1300

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6 Spd Manual
Congrats on the new TDI!
Hello Diesel,

Yep, waited a bit and was able to get nearly another quart into it before the pump handle kept on clicking off, so I take it is was as full as it was going to get.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Good point. I always fill the car at the lowest pump setting, but I know how much diesel foams. How long should I wait in order to top off the tank?
What I meant was simply did you make sure this first tankful started with a full tank. If the dealer didn't fill it completely your mileage for this tank might be off a bit.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Hello Diesel,
Yep, waited a bit and was able to get nearly another quart into it before the pump handle kept on clicking off, so I take it is was as full as it was going to get.
Another approach instead of forcing the pump handle is to not press it all the way but control the flow of fuel until you see the liquid to the neck of the fuel tank. This way you are always fueling to the same level for MPG consistency.

DieselBruce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi
What I meant was simply did you make sure this first tankful started with a full tank. If the dealer didn't fill it completely your mileage for this tank might be off a bit.
Yes but that would mean that his fuel mileage was actually better in that situation.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
People need to stop relying on the computer and start hand calc'ing mileage, over full tanks. The numbers would be a lot more realistic.

CZguy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Another approach instead of forcing the pump handle is to not press it all the way but control the flow of fuel until you see the liquid to the neck of the fuel tank. This way you are always fueling to the same level for MPG consistency.
I tried that yesterday, and it worked great. Thanks.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
People need to stop relying on the computer and start hand calc'ing mileage, over full tanks. The numbers would be a lot more realistic.
Ditto.

Side question regarding Odo reading. Logged 1500km yesterday, in lovely weather too... Was fun.. We all know VW speedometer reads more than actual.. But I noticed yesterday, that my cluster trip meter was bang on with the GPS trip meter on the one 600km leg of my drive.

The Odo reads true actual mileage, but the speedo reads more? This is on my jetta. I don't think my golf has equal trip mileage readings to my GPS's... Not that I can remember.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
No car manufacturer wants to pay for speeding tickets

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
I know about the accuracy thing for VWs, if not all cars. Can't read UNDER, but can read over. 5% is a bit much.. hehehe.

So speedo needle is 5% above, but odo is actual bang on KMs. Hmm. I'm just second guessing my Golf, because I swear the odo numbers never matched the 2 GPS units I run. We'll see next spring.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
German law requires speedometers not read low. So VWs read high, usually about 5%, although some cars (MKV Jetta, for example) read higher. Most odometers are spot on.

Mechnurse

Veteran Member
TDI
97/2K/05/15 Passat 06 Jetta TDI
I just bought a 2015 Passat TDI

drove it home only have 280 miles on it. Time will tell and I don't know how well the dealer filled the car up to, so I still have 500 miles until empty.

Last edited:

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
Our new 14 Jetta is returning a pretty consistent 43 USmpg (51-52 Imp) over the first 10000 miles. With the onset of winter fuel and cooler temps the avg in this weather is a consistent 40-41 US(48-49 imp).
Mileage is all 2lane rural 60% and 40% light city.
( I am using full winter front and difference in warm up and heater output at low load is VERY much improved, and would show less economy drop also I would think but have no data)

My SIL has about 3K miles on a 15Jetta 6man and doesn't drive much for mileage. His commute is 150miles return 4days a week. It is costing him 1/2 of same commute in GLI turbo (premium gas) that he had before.

I have not checked his car yet but from questions asked/answered he is getting 42-45 US/ 52-55 Imp in this cold weather on winter fuel and hiway speeds of 70-80 mph. It will run up some serious commute mileage annually so will get some better numbers as time goes on.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
As I understand it (keep in mind, I am a dang furriner) the EPA drive cycle and/or computation standards have changed. Going back a way, my 1997 GMC 6.5 was rated as 24 mpg(!?!?) and the very best I have ever managed on a highway trip is 18.4 (USmpg) - about what the enthusiast website average is. Fast forward to today, and in some kind of twisted effort to promote their anti-diesel, pro-gasser hybrid agenda, the EPA numbers are horrid for diesel and ridiculous for hybrids. My youngest daughter has a 288 in Passat, and similarly exceeds the EPA ratings by quite a bit - and she definitely makes no effort to conserve fuel, just time.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
When I look at the title of this thread, and then on skimming the posts see that a lot of threads are about the eternal issue of topping off the tank......which has nothing to do with getting good mpg readings in any case. I fill until cutoff, then click 3X, and hang the nozzle up. I know I've posted this elsewhere before, but when the tanks form an average, all the variations in "fullness" average out. The arithmetic is completely accurate when I take the pump receipt and write down the odometer reading, then enter that info into Fuelly at some future time. My Fuelly average is just as valid as for anyone who stands there trickling fuel in until it's ready to overflow the filler neck.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you fill up at the same station, with the same nozzle, every time? You might be pretty accurate.. But not as accurate as a vented fill, diesel right up to the brim, with no foam.

We're almost nickle and diming here... Hehehe

DieselRocks

TDI
Passat 2005
Don't know where you getting numbers but I have 2005 Passat and my average fuel is 33MPG. Most of it is highway 65-70MPH. I fill my tank and at the same station and count my MPG. Did some oil/gas filter maintenance, did I missed something, why it is so low?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Thank you. Filling until you see the fuel does make the MPG more consistent regardless of the pump/station/time of the day, etc.

I also agree that having many fill ups helps average out the potential inconsistencies.

Do you fill up at the same station, with the same nozzle, every time? You might be pretty accurate.. But not as accurate as a vented fill, diesel right up to the brim, with no foam.
We're almost nickle and diming here... Hehehe

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Rico657 is right. Over time, it doesn't matter how you fill your tank, your averages will be the same. I like to fill until I see clear fuel so there's less variation between fills, but my FE isn't going to be affected.

And DieselRocks, your MPG is a bit low for your car, but not unusual. B5.5 Passats are heavy cars with a not so efficient (relatively) engine and inefficient automatic transmission. FE suffers compared to other TDIs.