Is there a remote start system for a TDI

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI
I would like to get a remote start for my Golf TDI. I am not sure if they make them, considering in the winter you have to wait to start. Does anyone have any info about this?

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Remote starters on a TDI are of limited usefulness. Idling to get the engine and cabin temperature up is pretty much useless, not to mention unhealthy for the turbo. The fastest way to get a TDI warmed up is to simply drive it after letting it idle for 5-10 seconds to let oil pressure build up.

If keeping yourself warm is the concern, swap in some heated seats along with the wiring and switches. If you want to spend some real $, look up "webasto".

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
I talked to a stero shop owner who did instals of stero & remote starters and he didnt recommend it due to the complicated wirng system in a VW TDi .

Besides that a TDi takes forever to warm up running the engine so get a coolant heater like frostheater.com

an oil pan heater will let you get your engine started

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Get a Zerostart. It's a thermosyphon (convection) coolant heater that you plug in.

Terry Frost sells one (tdiheater) with a couple of hoses and a mount for $100, or you can get yourself some hose and just the heater and make it fit yourself. I chose the easy way and it took me about 2 minutes to get it mounted, and another 10 minutes to hook up the hoses, bleed, and top up. I lost a tiny amount of coolant and the hardest part was disconnecting the oil heat exchanger lines. If you get just the heater and appropriate hoses, it might take you an hour to get it to fit, no big deal. I recommend the 23x12 spring clamps over the supplied SAE worm gear clamps. They're $4 each (you need 4) from VW dealerships and I'm sure there are plenty of part supply companies that will give you a box full of 'em for that price.

You just plug that joker in and let it run all night, or plug it in a few hours before you leave. They're temperature controlled so they won't boil or constantly use power if you leave it plugged in to keep the motor warm.

Permanent magnets don't stick to the aluminum oil pan.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
"Waiting" to start in the winter in a TDI consists of turning the ignotion to ON (but not Start) until the glowplug light (the squiggly pigtail) goes out. In real cold, it might be a minute or two, then you engage the starter until it is going on it's own. This is why a good battery is essential - it has to have the amp-hour rating to handle the glowplugs, as well as all the other stuff that any car needs. The TDIheater is more of a personal comfort item, so you will have heat as soon as you get in.

Even after you get the car started, bear in mind that the TDI engine is so efficent that it really doesn't make alot of excess heat unless the engine is working. When it's cold enough - you will actually LOSE heat just idling at a stop light.

Last edited:

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
codylent said:
Do you know of a block heater specifically made for the TDI? Or are you talking about the magnetic type you just slap on the side of the oil pan?
On 2 the TDi's I bought new the dealer has put on the type you glue to the oil pan ,they will get you started in cold weather but it still takes awhile to get warm air from the heater .

I havent used the coolant heaters but they sound good ... if I was doing it now I would go for the coolant heater

edit: and besides the oil pan is aluminium ... magnets don't stick to non ferrous metal AND its hard to get at the oil pan with the plastic fairing AND I suggest you get a aftermarket skid plate to protect the oil pan if you don't already have one

Last edited:

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
scooperhsd said:
Even after you get the car started, bear in mind that the TDI engine is so efficent that it really doesn't make alot of excess heat unless the engine is working.
This applies, of course, to any diesel engine, and isn't so much "efficiency" as it is inherent in the design.

A gasoline engine runs at stoichiometric 15-1 air to fuel ratio at all speeds, but a diesel engine's speed is increased by increasing the ratio of fuel to air. At idle a diesel runs at perhaps 100-150 parts air to one part diesel, and obviously not much heat is generated in this condition.

Idling a diesel actually isn't very good for it, and newer engine electronics have been designed to address this. TDI doesn't have them.

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/assets/pdf/dyk168i.pdf