Often wonders why diesel price doesn't fluctuate like gas?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I know the prices are caused by demand, weather and the time of year. I have a few friends in the trucking industry and they also believe there is some kind of industry involvement to hold the prices steady to keep the trucking companies fees for delivery more steady. Conspiracy? Just saying.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Here in the UK Diesel is taxed around $0.50 Gal US more than gas, allegedly due to higher particle and NOx emission.
Yet every country I have been in on both sides of the pond do not seem to have an issue with masses of tractor trailers polluting the air.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I know the prices are caused by demand, weather and the time of year. I have a few friends in the trucking industry and they also believe there is some kind of industry involvement to hold the prices steady to keep the trucking companies fees for delivery more steady. Conspiracy? Just saying.
I find this hard to believe. We are hit with fuel surcharges all the time when prices spike. Rail is even worse since they charge at 60-90 days after delivery. Sure doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me.