VW dealers now charging $65 for radio codes

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Really you're paying for the guys time to look it up.

I have mixed feelings about it. True you're taking up an employee's time but some things should be considered overhead by the dealer.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

Call Volkswagen of America and ask for the radio code. They should give it to you for free. I've done this for a couple of my VWs and my Audi TT conversion (I called Audi in this case). Last time I called was two years ago.

Eric

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
They just changed the policy about 6 to 8 weeks ago

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Whine? Cry like a baby? W@hat's a poor boy to do. Imagine if you bought a house and had to call the builder and ask for a code to turn your furnace on? It's just silly is it not.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Don't try guessing these codes. I can't remember exactly how many tries but I locked a radio up with a few tries finding the right buttons from my poor memory. I even had the right code in front of me but was trying to put the radio in another car I was restoring. Once the radio locked up it wouldn't even accept the right code. I ended up realizing if I reinstalled it in the original car it should fire up again. Sure enough, it reset the system and I had a few more attempts again. VW doesn't like you swapping radios around.