best gear to park on a steep driveway? car rolled while in 1st

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
reverse has the lowest ratio in the trans, so engine compression has the greatest advantage over driveline rotation... if your parallel parking by a curb turn your wheels full lock so it carves an imaginary arc INTO the curb

even when rolling backwards? I figured that reverse is a lot faster than 1st max speed that it would have a higher ratio and less strength.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
2nd gear, set the parking brake with your foot on the brake, car running. If its no holding, try 4th.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Has nothing to do with compression. Compression leaks out.

It's all friction.

As was said, use the "lowest" gear, highest numerically. It's been stated here that that's reverse and I have no reason to doubt it.

Since you're relying on friction it doesn't matter if the car is pointed uphill or down. Use
reverse.

This is simple physics. The gear that's easiest for the engine to turn the wheels is the gear that's hardest for the wheels to turn the engine.

You know, like a lever? You have a long pry bar and you can move a big weight. Now look at it from the weight's point of view. The big weight with the short lever can't resist the force applied by the little human.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, most of the plastic tabs will either be cracked, broken or will be by the time you get the console out and back in place. I've used JB Weld on a few of them.

As KLXD said, pushing on the brake pedal while setting the park brake is the best procedure.

Which gear to use is simple.... as Jimbote stated, reverse is best, followed by 1st.

To clarify in your mind (all readers), on a hill, in a safe place, try different gears and see for yourself.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
ok, I got it all figured out. kind of. tightened the 10mm nut quite a bit... it must of went nearly an inch down the shaft. and one cable seems to be longer than the other. the handle doesnt come up very much, tightens quick, but the e brakes still arent the best. it doesnt seem to bit every hard, but it is a bit stronger than before when I had nothing.

I probably need new cables and to jack the rear end of the car up and take a look at whats going on. if I have to make an order soon I will add e brake cables to the list.

question: will this center console piece with the cup holder from a 2004 Jetta fit into a 2003 Jetta? they sure seem to be different regarding the rear ashtray part and cup holder part but if I can swap the entire thing over from the 04 into my new daily driver (03) I would be very happy. the 03 doesnt have a cup holder by the e brake which boggles my mind.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I changed the cables on mine and not much difference.
I suspect the primary problem is at the caliper end?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The calipers on your 04 are toast, this is typical signs on a mkiv that the e-brake portion is sticking.

You can put the cup holder center console in the 03, it mounts the same, just remove the rear pieces and youll see. You should move the e-brake bracket as well, or just manually move(bend) the lever over a tad to make it work. 99-early03 didn't have these cup holders, only the later 2003's ended up getting that center console.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
ok, I got it all figured out. kind of. tightened the 10mm nut quite a bit... it must of went nearly an inch down the shaft. and one cable seems to be longer than the other. the handle doesnt come up very much, tightens quick, but the e brakes still arent the best. it doesnt seem to bit every hard, but it is a bit stronger than before when I had nothing.

I probably need new cables and to jack the rear end of the car up and take a look at whats going on. if I have to make an order soon I will add e brake cables to the list.

question: will this center console piece with the cup holder from a 2004 Jetta fit into a 2003 Jetta? they sure seem to be different regarding the rear ashtray part and cup holder part but if I can swap the entire thing over from the 04 into my new daily driver (03) I would be very happy. the 03 doesnt have a cup holder by the e brake which boggles my mind.

One of your calipers isn't releasing all the way or one of the tubes that the ebrake cable rides is is collapsed on the end.

The center section will swap over no problem. Most MK4 interior parts will swap between models and years 99-05.

https://www.idparts.com/emergency-parking-brake-cable-guide-tubes-a4-p-4510.html

You can buy them individually, right or left.

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Awesome. Thanks for the tips guys. Swapping e brake levers and center cup holder pieces right now and will figure out the cables/calipers tonight when I can get under the car

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wasn't me on standing on the brakes when setting the hand brake though I agree. I said to pull on it till it's holding, don't just yank on it.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
If you don’t have jack just get some wooden boards to drive back wheels onto for more clearance and a couple more to chock front wheels. It doesn’t take much room to check them out, unless replacing.
I think if brake is hanging up on tube it’ll hit full caliper stop on only one side when releasing cable, but could also be caliper carrier not working.
My brake takes three clicks to hold car fine. My equalizer apparatus is almost as crooked after readjusting the nut for stretch.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
What tends to happen when the cables are like they are in the pic is the short cable pops out of the equalizer and then you have no ebrake.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
yeah my cables are rough... one is wayyy longer than the other and I got very little e brake in the 04.

the 03, on the steep driveway, holds the car like an anchor with just 2-3 clicks. its impressive honestly.

just got done wrenchin'... been a long day. swapped the center console cup holder and e brake from both vehicles, then removed the drivers seats from both vehicles, totally detailed the cars interior with a vacuum and microfibre rags, then swapped the seats around so the 03 has the best of everything aka un ripped drivers seat.

going to swap the candy cane tail lights into the 03 tomorrow and jack the 04 up to see whats going on the the e brake cables, then shes ready for kijiji!!!

curious to see what it looks like under there so I got a better understanding of how it works and how it failed.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those aluminum tubes that the ebrake cable threads into will sometimes breakdown on the ends where the cable repeatedly pulls against them. Post a pic of where the cables disappear into those tubes.

Or one of the brake calipers is not releasing all the way to the stop.

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
You have the tool for resetting the parking brake mechanism when you replaced your brakes?

1st gear when facing down hill
Reverse when facing up hill.

I’ve heard of some people jumping teeth on their timing belt after their car rolled in the opposite direction in gear. You are spinning the engine backwards.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Can't refute the logic in that but I would argue that the load on the belt turning the valve train and pump backward isn't so great as to pull so enough slack out of the tensioner that the belt skips.

But better safe than sorry.

Next time I have the timing cover off I'll have to turn the crank backwards and observe the tensioner.

On a side note I have seen what happens when you try to rotate the engine using the cam and in that case the tensioner definitely does give and allow slack between the cam and crank.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The problem is not the cables per se.... it is the tubes they are in. The tubes on the car are robust, but I suppose they can succumb to salt/rust. Every set of cables I've replaced is due to the tubes collapsing like an accordion as I previously stated.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
what happens when you try to rotate the engine using the cam
that has bad idea written all over it. be carefull, VERY CAREFULL, you may end up redoing a TB for no reason other than curiosity.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
no I dont have the tool. been a busy week tinkering with other things in the cars. detailing and perfecting the small things. still havnt gotten to the underside of the car yet to inspect the cables/housings.

I will def post some pics.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
that has bad idea written all over it. be carefull, VERY CAREFULL, you may end up redoing a TB for no reason other than curiosity.
Huh?

You quote part of my STATEMENT to make it look like I was asking a question?

I wasn't recommending that. It is recommended in instructions on this site and my comment on the practice was the first argument against it I've seen here.

Last edited: