paddle shifters issue

bubulica

TDI
2013 T-reg TDI
I had my 2011 DSG Golf sitting unused in the garage for about a week or so. Outside temps in the low 10's and inside garage temps in the high 20's.
Car starded just fine after a week, but when I set it in manual mode the paddle shifters wouldn't work (like dead, nothing happened). Tried to manually shift with the main shifter and the engine revved way up for a very short time (1-2 seconds) and the tranny was not responsive the way it normally is. Put it back in "auto" mode and it ran just fine, no issues.
Parked the car (engine off) at the shopping mall for 30 minutes or so, came back and turned it back on. Started fine, as always, but this time no issues whatsoever with driving in the "manual" mode using either the main shifter or the paddle shifters. It was like after "rebooting" everything went back to normal
Just curious you others have had a similar behavior or not. An by the way, this is the 2nd time this is happening over three winters since I've had the car.
Thanks for any inputs.

edman007

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
DSG's don't like cold, and many people have reported shifting problems in the cold, last week it was about 10'F and it took like 2 seconds to get into gear, and when cold the shifting is rough. I suspect that's what you're seeing, in automatic mode you probably just don't notice the lag as much.

Did you try letting the transmission warm up and then try the paddle shifters?

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
I have occasional issues with my paddle shifters to. From time to time they don't respond which is annoying to discover when you''re driving and trying to shift. That said it goes away after I restart the car. I do not however notice any other issues shifting when this happens though, and weather doesn't seem to be a factor.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
My 2011 golf had the same issue . Brought it to the dealer a code came up when tgey scanned it and they replaced the paddles and never had the issue again.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
I've had perhaps 3-4 instances, all in sub-freezing weather, where the paddles were inoperative but shifting manually with the shift lever worked fine. In each instance, when the engine was shut off and restarted a few minutes later, the paddles had healed themselves miraculously. I wondered but haven't investigated if there might be a poor contact in the steering wheel to steering column interface.