Cr170 turbo?

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Kind of in turbo mode lately. New Danville on Duramax and other things was wondering about cr170 for my TDI. Right now malone stage 2 and straight exhaust. Do I need extra tuning or can I get away with malone 2 with a cr170? Was thinking about bolting one on and is it worth it? The TDI is my daily 3000 2014 junker to commute to work. Clutch is still stock at the moment

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I ran my cr170 with a Malone stage 2 delete tune for a couple months. Worked great. Imo, the biggest advantage to the cr170 turbo is that it is a higher quality, more durable turbo. The performance bump is fairly mild.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
What did you do after a couple of months after that retune? Thanks for the info by the way. Was wondering if it was streetable with just the #2 tune.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I had a stage 3 tune that maxed out the 3 bar map sensor (~29 psi) loaded when I got the chance. It ran great with the stage 2 on both turbos. I didn't notice any difference between the turbos while running the stage 2 tune. It's a great daily driver turbo. I think X-Man turbos has a hybrid cr170 that makes a bit more power.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Will drive fine on a stage 2, definitely worth it for the top end power if upping the tune, should perform about the same with a tiny bit of bottom end lag if left on a stg2.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
Will drive fine on a stage 2, definitely worth it for the top end power if upping the tune, should perform about the same with a tiny bit of bottom end lag if left on a stg2.
Ok sounds good. I'll have to wait a little been sick again no energy but tune upgrade and turbo and clutch when I can. Cancer sucks.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Can limit bottom end torque and add top end power to keep the clutch happy, no worries or charge there. keep fighting

newguy2tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Can the DSG handle stg 3 with that xman hybrid turbo long term? Any more recent long term and longer mileage reports on that setup?