Help - can't open hood !

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Ok, so this afternoon I was adding windshield washer fluid, closed the hood. THe little black latch handle apparently broke, since when I just now (6:30 PM) tried to check the oil - it did not come out - I can pullon the interior handle it it pops up, but no black t-handle piece (it looks like the interior end broke off). How can I get it open, and maybe repaired ?

2000 Beetle.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Should be able to move the latch with a flathead, not uncommon for the plastic piece to break. Drilling a small hole through it and using a piece of metal wire will get it functional for a bit, remove grill for easier access.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Ok, so this afternoon I was adding windshield washer fluid, closed the hood. THe little black latch handle apparently broke, since when I just now (6:30 PM) tried to check the oil - it did not come out - I can pullon the interior handle it it pops up, but no black t-handle piece (it looks like the interior end broke off). How can I get it open, and maybe repaired ?

2000 Beetle.
If you can fit, reach in with your hand and pull down on the part of the latch that rolls forward when the "tongue" is pulled on. It's more of a pull towards you and downwards.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Car going to see local VW mechanic at 1:30

As soon as this is taken care of - I need to check / add oil. Got 2-3 qts of Mobil One 0w40 European Car Formula ready to go.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well -

Couldn't just replace the plastic strap - needed the whole latch - should be in tomorrow morning. In the meantime - got a piece of wire on the old latch, and when I got home needed to add 3 qts oil...

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Dude, 3 quarts of oil is a lot. How fast are you burning/losing it?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Obviously, I haven't been very diligent about checking it. I think it was changed last summer, and I haven't checked it since we left NC in August.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I check the oil in our cars EVERY time that I fuel up...

Obviously, I haven't been very diligent about checking it. I think it was changed last summer, and I haven't checked it since we left NC in August.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well "gentlemen" - considering I have had that Beetle since March 2003 and have put 304,000 miles (total is now 369,600 miles) on it - Come talk to me when you have reached those milestones...

I think a know a little bit of what these vehicles require. Life has happened alot in the last year.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Well "gentlemen" - considering I have had that Beetle since March 2003 and have put 304,000 miles (total is now 369,600 miles) on it - Come talk to me when you have reached those milestones...

I think a know a little bit of what these vehicles require. Life has happened alot in the last year.
That's it? I turned my Jetta into a summer autocross track car at 378k. And most of us here have over 400k on the clock.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
That's it? I turned my Jetta into a summer autocross track car at 378k. And most of us here have over 400k on the clock.
Now that I can agree with you on. Mine is around 366k and it has never had the head off and still has the original clutch, turbo and IP.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Well -

Couldn't just replace the plastic strap - needed the whole latch - should be in tomorrow morning. In the meantime - got a piece of wire on the old latch, and when I got home needed to add 3 qts oil...
I don't see why you need to replace the whole latch. Just get the tongue. Here is a youtube video showing you how to.

https://youtu.be/Qf2UJLt3oL0

Here is the Jetta/Golf one, so it's not much different. https://www.tunemyeuro.com/hood-lat...nd-gti-includes-free-quick-pin-1j5823593c01c/

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I removed 14 posts. Lets keep this civil.

Thank you.

:)

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't see why you need to replace the whole latch. Just get the tongue. Here is a youtube video showing you how to.

https://youtu.be/Qf2UJLt3oL0

Here is the Jetta/Golf one, so it's not much different. https://www.tunemyeuro.com/hood-lat...nd-gti-includes-free-quick-pin-1j5823593c01c/

Pin that holds the tongue went missing - hence need for latch.

19 year old car - plastic and rubber pieces start showing their age and breaking/leaking. Got a few other things that need replacing that led to the oil issue in all likelyhood.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is it not possible to replace/improvise the missing pin? Seems I have read that here somewhere.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Same basic problem here, 17 yo car. Latch gets crappy and old, and you can't pull on the inside handle AND pull the tongue out at the same time, so ... off to the mechanic it went.

Same thing on the hatch lock - the electronic actuator connects via a piece of plastic, which breaks, so now it's manual unlock with the key, and re-adjusting the latch by hand to get it to close each time. (Had to rip off the inside plastic trim on the hatch to get to it).

I go through about 1.5 qts per change, which I do around every 8000 miles.

Cars don't live forever.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Pin that holds the tongue went missing - hence need for latch.

19 year old car - plastic and rubber pieces start showing their age and breaking/leaking. Got a few other things that need replacing that led to the oil issue in all likelyhood.
If you can get the hood to pop up, you can still pull on the metal part that is being pulled on by the plastic part and open the hood. I've done it before on several cars. From there, replace the plastic piece and pin with a new part. The latch itself is metal. I don't see how it just wears out that fast. The plastic part is an easy replacement including the pressed in pin that it rotates on.

The link i sent you has the alternative way to connect it one the built in pin falls out. It's a pin and connector, a mini version of something you would use to connect a trailer ball hitch to a receiver. https://www.tunemyeuro.com/quick-pins-for-vw-hood-latch-pull-handles-2-sets/

Last edited:

jcm1990

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
Mine also had the plastic handle break off...pop the hood as usual with the inside handle, go to the front of the car, lift up on the hood and unlatch it by hand.

Maybe one day when i am ordering some parts ill throw the $6 repair part in the cart and fix it. Not worth paying shipping, let alone a mechanic, to fix IMHO.