2002 Jetta TDI with immobilizer issue... PLEASE HELP!

ExclusiveAuto

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-Speed
I purchased a 2002 Jetta TDi 5-speed as an extra "get good gas mileage daily", but I bought it but needed some front end paint. It was running and driving fine when I first bought it but did have a glow plug/coil light on the cluster. I did the harness replacement and replaced all 4 plugs in case I wanted to drive it. The car was running fine, but I parked it an attended to other projects. Long story short, it sat in the driveway for about 4 months and it drained the battery. The key battery and remote work fine.

I ended up replacing the battery and went to start the car and the immobilizer light is blinking on the dash - it does the normal initial crank and fuel cut. After all the research I have done, it looks like the repair is to obtain the cluster pin code (which is not possible with vag com), so my research led me to order a software called "vag tacho" to obtain this pin. I have since bought 2 versions of vag tacho from ebay, which both have not worked. I ended up breaking down and just calling a locksmith. Again, I have a working key, with working remote and basically just asked him to obtain the cluster pin for me. $80 later, he provided be with a 5-digit pin. He then said, by the way, the chip in the key probably just went back, I can cut you another key and the car will probably work. So, $150 later, i now have a duplicate key, but still the same issue with the car unable to crank.

I'm assuming the5-digit PIN I have received from the locksmith is correct. Can someone walk me through exactly what I have to do to disable the immobilizer (or recode the system) so I can have a running car again? Thanks for the help!!!

-Jon

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
if all you did is replace the battery I'd recommend trying a simple hack first...leave the key in the on position for 5-10 minutes, turn to off, then try a start

The long pause is sometimes enough for the system to get over whatever glitched when the battery was installed and recover its senses. :)

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Another option if Vince's suggestion doesn't work is disconnect the battery overnight, reconnect it in the morning and try again.

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
Make sure you are using one of the keys with the security chip...my son's used 2000 came with a key that only opened the doors...would turn the ignition but did not have the chip for the immobilizer to ping.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Good point if you have more than one original key try them all.