www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 6th, 2019, 21:27   #1
mikeb95

Default Need a switch fuse/power line....where to look

So here's the story...installed a new radio-a Pioneer. I've noticed that since I've installed it, my car is hard to crank in the morning or after sitting for some time....so today I started diagnosing the issue. Volts at the battery when shutting down is 12.8.....next morning it's 12.2-12.3....and starting it seems like it's having issues. This is just sitting over night.

So I tested the amp pull....car shut off, it was pulling 1.7Amps.....when I pulled the radio fuse, it dropped down to .9 (still high but closer to .5---what I've heard it should be). I've read from this site and others that the acc line is pulling that voltage and needs to be switched to a "only when running" line. So I go to the fuse box and most of the slots that don't have fuses are not wired up for power.....so question is,....where can I get a switch power wire from to hook up to the yellow acc line on the radio?

Oh and battery is just a little over a year old, an Interstate. And the alternator was replaced about 3 months ago. The radio was October and the draining right after the radio.

I've put the stock radio back in for the time being.
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:15   #2
Carlos_TJ
Veteran Member

Isnt the yellow line an always 12vdc line for the car stereo memory?
Anyways a swirched 12v source you could use os the cig lighter.
Or if you want your aftermarket stereo to behave like the oem get a can bus adapter box
Carlos_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 11:03   #3
relumalutan
Veteran Member

Your battery is draining because the CANBUS module is for lack of a better word is not "sending the radio to sleep". I assume that it is not detecting the new radio.
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:59   #4
mikeb95

So part of my install, I did add the Maestro idatalink box and wireset to keep OEM functions like the steering wheel.

For the CANBUS lack of sending a signal for the radio to sleep....what are options? Buy a new one? pull one off a car at a scrap yard? Any place to find what version would send the signal to sleep?
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:04   #5
Carlos_TJ
Veteran Member

^^^ do you have a part number or model name for that maestro box? Sounds like you should have it all figured out
Carlos_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:29   #6
mikeb95

It's the Maestro RR. I even updated the firmware the other night and no help. It's a 2006 so thinking it must be the CANBUS module. If the weather is nice, might hit a scrap yard and see if I can get a newer model and see if that fixes the battery drain issue. I also need to hookup my VCDS and see what other errors pop up. I faintly remember some type of communications issue, but need to confirm.
Old March 8th, 2019, 13:41   #7
relumalutan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb95 View Post
It's the Maestro RR. I even updated the firmware the other night and no help. It's a 2006 so thinking it must be the CANBUS module. If the weather is nice, might hit a scrap yard and see if I can get a newer model and see if that fixes the battery drain issue. I also need to hookup my VCDS and see what other errors pop up. I faintly remember some type of communications issue, but need to confirm.

I have an upgraded version of the CANBUS module. I had it installed in my car with a RCD330G+ radio and it didn't drain my battery.
Pay shipping and $20 and it's yours.
Old March 14th, 2019, 13:20   #8
mikeb95

So update on this, sorry relumalutan--just now reading your response. I went to a scrap yard and found a new version of the CAN-Bus and installed it. So far so good. I picked it off a 08 or 09 model, mine was an 'H' version and the new one was a 'Q' version.