RNS 510 vrs Kenwood DNN992???

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Been in mental conflict over which unit. Going from RNS 315. Also owned an incredible Kenwood excelon DNN 992. Both with added backup camera are at apx. the same cost

Asking input especially from experienced rns 510 & Excelon model users on their personal likes and dislikes.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I’d go with whoever has the better support/warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 510 wouldn't be warrantied as it wouldn't be orig.
Past experiences both Kenwood and Crutchfeild were very helpful.
Both would be used. Both are @ slim risk of bad purchase...

Although I prefer O.E.M. a good prefix 510 is way overpriced, IMO.

A factory refurbished Excelon series seems a better tech, sound, featured product when @ the equivilant $? After owning one in my Passat I would say it had sound and features that would satisfy anyone. A big learning curve but doable even for this semi-non technical guy.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Been in mental conflict over which unit. Going from RNS 315. Also owned an incredible Kenwood excelon DNN 992. Both with added backup camera are at apx. the same cost

Asking input especially from experienced rns 510 & Excelon model users on their personal likes and dislikes.
The 510 wouldn't be warrantied as it wouldn't be orig.
Past experiences both Kenwood and Crutchfeild were very helpful.
Both would be used. Both are @ slim risk of bad purchase...

Although I prefer O.E.M. a good prefix 510 is way overpriced, IMO.

A factory refurbished Excelon series seems a better tech, sound, featured product when @ the equivilant $? After owning one in my Passat I would say it had sound and features that would satisfy anyone. A big learning curve but doable even for this semi-non technical guy.
The Kenwood will do anything an rcd510 can, better and with more features.
I'm not overly familiar with your model, I have a newer excelon model but mine has video playback and carplay/Android auto. That alone makes it worth it.

Also you might need to get the adapter to retain the factory controls in your car.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
The Kenwood will do anything an rcd510 can, better and with more features.
I'm not overly familiar with your model, I have a newer excelon model but mine has video playback and carplay/Android auto. That alone makes it worth it.

Also you might need to get the adapter to retain the factory controls in your car.

I'm thinking that too. Even with all the interfaces and needed items I think I can do refurb/used Excelon less $ than installing used rSn 510, factory rear camera & wiring, recoding for b/u camera.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Bingo. You can get the ddx9703s for around $300. It has every feature you can think of and more. Rear/front and dash cam video input. HDMI, hd radio, nav, Android auto etc.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Bingo. You can get the ddx9703s for around $300. It has every feature you can think of and more. Rear/front and dash cam video input. HDMI, hd radio, nav, Android auto etc.

I thought only the dNx models had navigation? That would really do it

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Yep you're right. Only the dnx has built in nav
But that being said, any Android auto unit has nav as well, albeit via Google maps or waze

The ddx has a GPS module that helps with accuracy and you can't beat Google maps for live traffic and other features.

The common complaint regarding Google maps as a dedicated GPS, is no signal zones. But there is actually a work around. You're able to download offline maps. You won't get the live traffic of course but you can have exact streets etc. Pretty much like a standalone gps. The range of area is pretty big too.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
When cellular is not available, having the nav database local is a benefit.

That said... Kenwood will offer way more customization of the sound and other options, and no nonsense of "component protection" that the VW devices have now. :( Why are they making it more complex when their radios really aren't all that?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
When cellular is not available, having the nav database local is a benefit.

That said... Kenwood will offer way more customization of the sound and other options, and no nonsense of "component protection" that the VW devices have now. :( Why are they making it more complex when their radios really aren't all that?
Exactly. It's night and day difference between aftermarket and what is offered from the auto manufacturer. I personally like Kenwood over pioneer, but even still a pioneer nex unit will walk circles around the rcd510 or any other VW supplied unit. My Kenwood has more setting and features than I even know what to do with.

One of my favorite ones is the multiple adjustments for audio output and input. With the rcd if you had the music playing loud and a call came in, the ringing was obnoxiously loud. Another neat feature is the speaker splitting. Usually I have a tablet dry up to play movies with the audio pumping thru the Kenwood unit and at the same time my phone connected for Android auto. I split it so the Android auto only outputs to the front speakers and the movie to the rear.
Little things like that

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
For those worried about the lack of built in nav and having to rely on Android auto, I routinely drive in no signal/poor signal areas. I know this so I have several offline maps downloaded for Google maps that get updated periodically. The unit doesn't skip a beat with nav. Sure you could go with a dnx or other similar model with built in nav, but frankly I'd personally save the money for something else as Google maps via Android auto walks circles around any built in nav unit I've used.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Input appreciated.

Having owned a DNN992 I absolutely loved the sound and capability. I wouldn't mind just going with a quick plug and play of a rsn 510 for now. But $4-700ish for used 510 is ridiculous IMO, Especially with "sudden death" syndrome looming over a 5 year+ O.E. unit.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
Just went through this whole exercise myself and am curious why nobody mentioned the RCD330+ which is the factory upgrade to the RNS510. They never sold them in the US but you can get them from overseas for less than $300 and they are plug n play and include BT, carplay, android audio, etc. I am swapping out my 510 as soon as mine arrives. You just have to be carefull to get the right version if you want android audio and in this case you want the no name brand. They are basically pulling these from VW's overseas. Check out the link below as their is a forum dedicated to the radio.

http://rcd330plus.com

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Just went through this whole exercise myself and am curious why nobody mentioned the RCD330+ which is the factory upgrade to the RNS510. They never sold them in the US but you can get them from overseas for less than $300 and they are plug n play and include BT, carplay, android audio, etc. I am swapping out my 510 as soon as mine arrives. You just have to be carefull to get the right version if you want android audio and in this case you want the no name brand. They are basically pulling these from VW's overseas. Check out the link below as their is a forum dedicated to the radio.

http://rcd330plus.com
p.m.ed ya!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
People keep stating that the RCD-330 is an OEM radio, but it doesn’t have a VW label or part number anywhere on it. People have had issues with these radios dying after 6-7 months.