Cabin Filter Cover?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Neither of my cars have this cover thingey. I just have the bottom frame
for the cabin filter, and the little shelf top tray piece that sits into the rain tray.
How does this thing sit? I want to pick it up since I'm replacing all the plastic
under the windshield on the '01 (have a crack in the rain tray and I just can't
live like this)...

Last edited:

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Neither of my cars have this cover thingey. I just have the bottom frame
for the cabin filter, and the little shelf top tray piece that sits into the rain tray.
How does this thing sit? I want to pick it up since I'm replacing all the plastic
under the windshield on the '01 (have a crack in the rain tray and I just can't
live like this)...

I have a spare cabin air filter cover. In NE Portland.

Pick n Pull has em too.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
It's in ETKA and is listed in the parts diagrams for MKIV Golfs and Jettas, but neither of my cars has it installed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It is a MKIV part. Looks like it goes on the firewall side of the filter holder. For all I know it could be there on my cars: I wouldn't necessarily see it.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
The photos on the Russian site I linked above show it installed towards the engine, not the firewall so you'd see it when replacing the cabin filter.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
IBW, I think that diagram pic is showing it on the front, based on where the filter is in reference to the heater blower motor.

That said, I'd never seen the part before this thread, so I may keep an eye open in the wrecking yards.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I can't see the use. I've not run into a wet filter when the cowl cover assembly was intact.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I can't see the use. I've not run into a wet filter when the cowl cover assembly was intact.

My experience is that I tend to have a lot more debris packed in the front of the filter, and I wonder whether this would force the accumulation to distribute more evenly.
That said, I don't know that it'd make any difference, as my filters are never completely plugged when I change them, even beyond the recommended intervals.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
My thinking is 'if it's there, there's a reason the VW boys put it there'.
I've never had (visible) crud collect in my cabin filter itself.
I'm thinking this mystery cover is more about efficient air flow than keeping out crud.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
You may not live around cottonwood trees. When I open up the tray cover on customer cars it is often hard to see the ribs in the filter. Chances are that they've never changed the filter in 200K+ miles. They may have not known that they have a filter until I brought it to their attention.

And they can have a complaint of the heat or A/C not delivering very well.