towing a '65 beetle with my 03 TDI question

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
I recently picked up a 1965 beetle, and need to tow it about 14 miles (mostly level). I have a tow bar, but there's no hooks on the tow bar to attach the safety chains.

wondering if I should just loop the chain around the tow bar, or if I need to attach the chains to the beetle somewhere. I obviously don't want to damage either car...

Suggestions for safe travel/towing would be appreciated!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
When I used tow bars on the old Beetles I just ran a chain down to the torsion beam and used one of those threaded carabiner things. I have towed all over like that, including one from Texas to Missouri behind my '98 Jetta. Never lost one yet.

Congrats on your new project. My Dad drove a '65 Beetle until 1984, I remember it well. Unique year in that it was the first to have the larger windows but the last to have the old non-slotted wheels and no badge on the engine lid. The 40hp engine was super reliable, too.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
thanks oil hammer. picked up some carabiners today.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
14 miles? just hire a flat bed to haul it, cost what $50 or $75 bucks?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
That's no fun! But, depending on the value of the older Beetle. I bought a 61 three or four years ago and had it delivered by enclosed trailer. Special circumstances were involved. The car had not been rained on in 28 years.
61 Beetle

Beetle with a Beetle.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Just a reminder that (not 100% on this, policies vary) your insurance will not cover any damages or loss if anything happens when flat towing or towing for any reason with a towing vehicle that is not rated for such a tow and also even if it is the equipment must be installed by a " qualified installer" same goes for a not at fault the faulty parties insurance policy will not cover for same reasons on both the towed and the tower.
Food for thought. You can get a 1,2,3 or more day towing insurance policy but again must be installed by a qualified installer and hook up methods must be an approved method for both vehicles. It's a supper sticky grey area I would not want to go down. The price/risk is just not worth it imo.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Back at the question- The safety chains are just that. In case the tow bar fails. So the chain just needs to be connected to both cars, anywhere you can, near the centerline for turn clearance.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I'm thinking a whole lot more than that. If I rent a u-haul car trailer, it's about $80. When I had my Jetta towed home 30 miles using AAA, I asked the driver what it would have cost if I was paying cash. $300 - $350

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
On the old newbeetle.com website (not sure this is still around) there was a picture of someone towing their green original beetle to shows with their green new beetle.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In my area I can get a flat bed to do a 20 mile tow delivery for $100. Check local tow companies not AAA or insured companies that only work on insurance payments.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
dwiesel... that is one sexy little beetle! love it!