Why are there glow plugs on the coolant flange and how do I get a new pigtail?

TDI
2013 Sportwagen, 2012 Golf
This is on my daughter's New Beetle. i replaced the glow plug harness but noticed that the one in the picture looks really ratty. They look like glow plugs but I figure they are temp sensors as they are on the cooling flange. Is there a harness pigtail available?

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
They are coolant glow plugs, 10 amps each, not monitored by the ECU, this is why the 5 speed cars have a 120 amp alternator instead of a 90 amp. I've never seen an offering for a replacement harness but you could take bullet connectors and heat shrink and dress it up if needed...

The coolant glow plugs just help warm the engine up when it's cold

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
On my previous car, they'd all but disintegrated with corrosion, caps cracked, etc. I figured I was going to cause myself way more problems by taking them out, and trying to "fix" them, so I just left 'em there, non-functional.
No issues at all by doing that.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Many of us don't repair these, just clean it up. Does not seem to be noticeable (warm up time).

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Many of us don't repair these, just clean it up. Does not seem to be noticeable (warm up time).
Lol, right...if it's cold outside it'll take a while either way

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks for the link. A tad pricey. I think I'll go the heat shrink tube route
Before you do maybe check the amperage they all draw.
If any are bad you might replace those first.

I thought I read someone threaded the terminals and used a nut on them.
This was a LONG time ago, don't remember specs. :(

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I fix these by running an #8-32 die on the plug terminal and sandwich a loop wire terminal between two brass nuts. Wrap it with friction tape. These glow plugs almost never burn out in my experience. Can't remember ever having to replace one due to failure.

I think its a good idea to have them operational. The quicker the coolant temp gets up there the better your fuel economy will be.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
When I did the ALH install in my 84 Vanagon, I included the Coolant GPs and associated electrical bits to make them functional. I did the install mainly because I removed the EGR Cooler which does help with engine warm-up!

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I fix these by running an #8-32 die on the plug terminal and sandwich a loop wire terminal between two brass nuts. Wrap it with friction tape. These glow plugs almost never burn out in my experience. Can't remember ever having to replace one due to failure.

I think its a good idea to have them operational. The quicker the coolant temp gets up there the better your fuel economy will be.
^^^^This is why I'm on this site daily, learning new ways to fix problems.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg

Excellent idea thanks for the great tip.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm about to do (as many have) a 5sp. swap into my non-coolant-glow-plug car that came with the automatic.
I have given absolutely zero consideration to replacing the coolant flange under the vacuum pump so that I can have coolant glow plugs. That's how "necessary" I think they are.
(Granted, I live on the west coast where "brutal cold" is -5°C, but still...car is good with them sitting dormant.)