mk4 MFA cluster conversion questions

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
In reference to this post, which is supposedly a copy of another post I cannot find:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=48366

I'm just trying to figure out the part number for the connector that connects the extra buttons on the wiper stalk to the MFA cluster. I looked through the aforementioned thread a bunch of times, but no part number was listed for that black connector housing (referenced as T6e).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
No idea what the part number is, but if you call up a VW parts dept, they should be able to suss it out for you.

BTW, in doing a quick search for that part, I found a nice summary of the thread here, along with some info from vortex, put together in convenient .pdf form.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
The stalk part number is in the first page of that PDF. Thanks for the pdf, I’m interested in getting the MFA cluster and trying to do the conversation myself. It a bit down on my list of thins to do right now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Also as an FYI, B5.5 passats with mfa/FIS share the same stalk. My wagon has a passat stalk in it, works as designed.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The only problem is figuring out how to remove Passat stalks in the junkyard, since there's no key available to unlock the steering wheel (and then remove the airbag and wheel itself).

The same is true for Mk5 cars and later Passats (I assume also B5.5? I don't keep up with Passat generations) as far as the outside temp sensor goes, though the clip that holds it onto the left front plenum on the bumper is hard to find, outside of the dealer.

I actually found the part I referenced, but I'm not 100% that's it. The part reference comes out to the same connector as a mk4 tail light connector. I might have one on the parts car I can snip off, and use butt splices to connect it to VW repair wires (another thing you can get cheap from the junkyard).

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you try turning hard enough, you can actually get the wheel to turn enough to release the airbag. I don't remember for certain, but I think that's the correct connector for that switch.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm just trying to figure out the part number for the connector that connects the extra buttons on the wiper stalk to the MFA cluster. I looked through the aforementioned thread a bunch of times, but no part number was listed for that black connector housing (referenced as T6e).
Was looking for something else in the wiring bits 'n pieces bin and came across this - pretty sure this is the connector on that side of the steering column.
Part No.: 893 971 636

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
That black connector for the stalk is already in place isn't it? You're just adding terminals to it for the screen?

I seem to remember you didn't need an extra plug

Quote from that thread

"I was a bit surprised to find that my Golf already had the 6 pin connector (connector T6e) in place. Pins T6e/5 and T6e/6 contain wires used to control the intermittent windshield wiper regulator (ref wiring diagram 52/20, tracks 253 & 254). Pins 1 through 4 were empty, and will be used for the MFI control wires."

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you're right, now that I think about it.
Maybe he just wants to get the repair wires fitted while outside the car and then move over the existing wires when installing (?).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
That's kinda what I was planning on doing. I wasn't able to get the pin for the replacement cluster last night, so there's not much point yet in outfitting the replacement wiper stalk just yet.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
When I did mine I fitted the stalk, removed cluster, fitted the pins into the stalk connector then ran the wires up and into where the cluster wires come in.

From there I got the cut and soldered the ends and connected the pins into the plug so the wiring was a decent length.

I found that way I didn't have to little or to much wire.