Fans randomly comes on

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It was 32 this am and soon as I started the engine, the fan comes on a few secs later. Idle of course goes up when the radiator fan comes on. Drove it to work and it did it again during a stop. Has been like this for 6 months or so. Replaced both temperature sensors. The one to the right of cylinder 1 and the one in front of the engine. I don't have defrost on.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, start there. Don't throw any more parts at it.

If no DTCs can be found to steer you in the right direction (I would be asking both the Engine and the Climate modules), then I would go after looking at what data could cause a fan command. Which on a BRM should just be coolant temp or refrigerant pressure, both of which can be monitored via a scan tool.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
OBD works, start there. Don't throw any more parts at it.
Best advice you'll find on a forum! [emoji23]
Any Joe Blow can change parts, but the fact of the matter is, they can also diagnose.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Do what Brian said, though you might not find anything with VCDS. You probably have a bad ground. The engine raises the RPM so the alternator can keep up charging the battery, that's why the fans are also coming in. It happened to me a while ago, I cleaned the grounds and all it's good now.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Didn't see any useful codes the last time I checked. Only 20 bucks so far on parts. I will check refrig pressures next.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Do what Brian said, though you might not find anything with VCDS. You probably have a bad ground. The engine raises the RPM so the alternator can keep up charging the battery, that's why the fans are also coming in. It happened to me a while ago, I cleaned the grounds and all it's good now.

Good point, checking ground points is always something worth doing.

lrb

TDI
2008 mk5 golf 1.9tdi
Have the same problem on my 2008 golf 1.9tdi.
I did, however, start throwing parts at ot. 2 coolant temp sensors, fan and yesterday an air con pressure switch. Since renewing the air con pressure switch the fans dont come on as frequently so im pressuming its got something to do with air con. Im cheching earths this weekend.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Have the same problem on my 2008 golf 1.9tdi.
I did, however, start throwing parts at ot. 2 coolant temp sensors, fan and yesterday an air con pressure switch. Since renewing the air con pressure switch the fans dont come on as frequently so im pressuming its got something to do with air con. Im cheching earths this weekend.
I'm sure mine is due to ground but I can't track it down. Probably because my battery is in the trunk. I ran ground all the way to the engine bay and same thing. I will have to put up with it. Not a huge deal.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well I relocated the battery back to the engine bay from the trunk and it looks like it’s resolved. No more high idle and no starting issues. I can’t believe an 0/2 wire has issues. Too many intermittent issues. Now I have to relocated the Webasto.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Lesson learned, never relocate the battery on a diesel powered car. I always thought the weird issues I had with the radio, starting, and high idle was due to the battery being relocated. All of the issues didn't show up right away. I even ran negative all the way to the starter and still same issues. I should've put the Webasto where it belonged from the start, behind the drivers side front bumper. What a relief. Now my engine will probably go kaput because I ran it without oil for a minute.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Lesson learned, never relocate the battery on a diesel powered car. I always thought the weird issues I had with the radio, starting, and high idle was due to the battery being relocated. All of the issues didn't show up right away. I even ran negative all the way to the starter and still same issues. I should've put the Webasto where it belonged from the start, behind the drivers side front bumper. What a relief. Now my engine will probably go kaput because I ran it without oil for a minute.
a minute isnt anything huge. not good. but the parts weren't dry. some people have run them out of oil before. only time will tell.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
a minute isnt anything huge. not good. but the parts weren't dry. some people have run them out of oil before. only time will tell.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I could tell there was a sound difference, light scraping sound. Oh well it's a BRM, maybe now the cams will wear to the point that I need to replace it. at 280k, no need for a cam yet.