Cylinder Head Replacement

Tab3538@hotmail.com

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
I recently had a water pump seize on my daughter’s 2000 VW Beetle TDI. The exhaust valves bent so I got the head inspected for cracks and rebuilt. Using careful instructions from this forum, I timed the cam shaft, locked it and did the same for the crank. Long story short, I have it all together now but it won’t start! I did follow the timing belt PDF to a tee (profound thanks to the author). I turned over the engine manually twice as prescribed and everything stayed aligned.
My only hypothesis is that maybe the injector pump got out of time or glow plugs are not working as the the harness looks like hell.
Sincere thanks for any help the forum can offer

Tony

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Tony

Did you lock the IP with the pin or just eyeball it?

Did you purge all the air out of injector lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Are you sure you locked the IP in the correct hole and not the false one?
With the pin installed it should be in the 1:00 position.
Verify it with an inspection mirror.

Crack the lines at the injectors and place rags around them and crank the engine a couple of times till fuel comes out then tighten them up, if bled and timed correctly it will fire.

GP’s are not really needed to start the car.......it helps but not really needed.
I’m assuming your doing this in your garage so temps are not be.ow freezing.

Last edited:

Tab3538@hotmail.com

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
Hello, well, I did lock the injector pump! I didn’t purge air! How do you do that? Just loosen one of the injector lines?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Loosen all of them and crank till you get fuel spraying out re tighten and start...use rags to contain the spray

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tab3538@hotmail.com

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
Awesome! I am confident that the IP was in the correct one o’clock position. I will definitely bleed the fuel system right now! Thanks again

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
csstevej;5569031 Crack the lines at the injectors and place rags around them and crank the engine a couple of times till fuel comes out then tighten them up said:
I said it above ; )

Tab3538@hotmail.com

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
Well, I was just removed the lines and #4 wasn’t even wet. Not sure what is going on but still won’t start. Note: I did remove the IP gear as part of overhaul but it was easier to see the alignment to align the pin. Thanks again

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You just took off the belt driven gear and not the hub below it right?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you getting any fuel to the injectors?
If not try hanging a bottle from the hood like an IV with a hose to the inlet of pump and try re-priming it.

Last edited:

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Got clear fuel lines.
Can you see fuel coming from the tank into the pump?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not on the NB’s for some reason.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
In my case (because I installed a rebuilt IP) I used a MityVac to pull fuel through the IP.
A bit of cranking and she lit.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If timing is correct, my troubleshooting always goes back to checking and verifying these three things:

Fuel - car should start, even if one of the cylinders isn't getting fuel (for whatever reason)
Air - if you had the head off, i'm guessing you looked at the intake and cleaned it up if needed (?)
Heat - check compression. Not enough compression = no heat.

Also, make sure the electrical connector for injector #3 is clean.

Tab3538@hotmail.com

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
Thank you Csstecej, Flee, and Nuje. I verified the fuel lines are clear. I need to investigate why it is not getting fuel. I will keep trying to bleed the system and if that doesn’t work, compression tests and the like. Really appreciate your help and I will follow up when I get it running so it can be there if someone else experiences the same in the future.

Tony

Tab3538@hotmail.com

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
Hey guys- just want to offer sincere thanks to each of you for taking the time to share. You were right - the injector pump was dry as a bone. I bought a cheap harbor freight vacuum pump and started pumping. It fired up as you guys said it would and runs like a top!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That’s what this community is here for....to help one another.
Glad you got it fired up!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
You guys are the best. Really appreciate everything. This forum makes me love the car even more
This forum is a big reason I have my 3 and know so much, not that I know that much but most of my knowledge came from here...I do my best to give back when I can so things like this happen. These cars are amazing and I dread the day I have to try to find another car that I enjoy as much as my mk4s

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tab3538@hotmail.com

TDI
2000 VW Beetle
Update: Car is running like a top! And after oil change, I didn’t find any metal in the oil which makes me feel better that I didn’t mess up the installation. Thanks again guys!