Dogbone & Driver Side Engine Mount Bolt Sizes & Lengths - 02J Trans

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
I had done a ton of searching to find the actual lengths of these bolts so I could replace them with 10.9 grade flanged bolts and never found my answer completely.

Here's an FYI just in case someone else was looking for them.

Note: due to the leading tip on the bolt that's pointed and has no threads, I've noted the actual length with out that tip in parentheses.

Dogbone Mount Bolts:
  • subframe - (2) M8 x 1.25 x 45mm (threads full length) (the actual length of threads - 40mm)
  • middle - (1) M10 x 1.5 x 70mm (35mm shank / 35mm threads) (the actual length of threads - 30mm)
  • front - (1) M10 x 1.5 x 30mm (threads full length) (the actual length of threads - 25mm)

Driver Side Mount Bolts:
  • Mount to Body - (2) M10 x 1.5 x 55mm (20mm shank / 35mm threads) (the actual length of threads - 30mm)
  • Mount to Transmission - (2) M12 x 1.5 x 65mm (25mm shank / 40mm threads) (the actual length of threads - 35mm)

deepseafortydog

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI
Great post! Exactly what I was looking for. I had to put a helicoil into the tranny on the middle of the dog bone mount. It has worked its way loose and now I think I'm going to have to get the tig welder out, fill the hole, re-drill and tap... ugh

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Good information never gets old.:)
The dogbone 70mm bolt evaporated...
Ordered a new one, all is good!;)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Great post! Exactly what I was looking for. I had to put a helicoil into the tranny on the middle of the dog bone mount. It has worked its way loose and now I think I'm going to have to get the tig welder out, fill the hole, re-drill and tap... ugh
Same problem here, but I'll be using a timesert on mine.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You should be able to drill out and install a key locking insert without having to do any welding, since there are different OD's of the key locking inserts that are larger than the major diameter of the helicoil