Heater core fix; no start

obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
Mk4 Jetta tdi 2003

I just changed out the heater core. Fun job, but I digress. Put all connectors back, save center console outlet. Now no start or instruments.

Have power to cluster (time and mileage only)
Have radio power.
Have flashers and lights.
Have door lights inside and overhead lights.

No buzzer, instruments, or any other dash.

Checked all fuses on drivers side and above battery: all good.

Checked all connections again. Nothing unplugged or missing outlets.

Assistance please. I have an appointment tomorrow and a 500 mile trip Saturday.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Haven't done that job!

Were there any grounds / commons to disconnect in all that?
I'm picturing a bundle having a group of ground wires joined to an eyelet on a body post, which got in your way somehow.

Just a thought, but that type thing would get you a selection of things that have power but no go/light.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Sounds like connector not on squarely.

obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
Haven't done that job!

Were there any grounds / commons to disconnect in all that?
I'm picturing a bundle having a group of ground wires joined to an eyelet on a body post, which got in your way somehow.

Just a thought, but that type thing would get you a selection of things that have power but no go/light.
Cheated. Didn’t even get the main bracket out got the dash loose, but just moved everything with disconnecting only what was in the way: dash cluster, took 13 mm bolts from under steering wheel out so column would be moveable, connectors for vent lights, flashers, rear defroster, stereo out, vent controls, center vent behind stereo cluster, and connectors for the fan and vent module. I disconnected (under the hood) negative cable on battery, ac lines, and coolant lines. In the cab I shifted the dash enough on the passenger side to get to the ac/heater core box. I took out the bolts connecting the cross member to shift it up enough to get clearance for the box to come back a few inches then out through the passenger door along the footwell. Everything in reverse. Hooked up battery. Nothing. Did not take one ground wire loose in the whole ordeal.

obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
Sounds like connector not on squarely.
Possible. I will have to take everything apart to see. At least I know how to get it all out now. Should only take a couple of hours.

Question I have is do I need to reset anything with the vagcom after this job?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Sounds like a ground, you didn't see it because it's stuffed up in there somewhere...
I think the one you're looking for is supposed to connect at a 13mm right at the steering column...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
Sounds like a ground, you didn't see it because it's stuffed up in there somewhere...
I think the one you're looking for is supposed to connect at a 13mm right at the steering column...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
That is some great insights. I’ll look there before total disassembly

obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
Possible. I will have to take everything apart to see. At least I know how to get it all out now. Should only take a couple of hours.

Question I have is do I need to reset anything with the vagcom after this job?
Took steering wheel and lower cover off. The pressure from the column dropping put stress on the key harness on the left side. Because I didn’t remove the steering wheel the cover underneath the column covered the view of the connection. Voila, it’s loose. Plugged it in, power. Thanks for the input.

Now the trim pieces go back on.