Is this Working Properly After Accident??

Harlan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
2002 Jetta GLS TDI with manual trans. 51k miles. Bought it used, and car has run perfect for the last 2.5 years.

A very young driver (2 days with license) hit it while it was parked. The car "moved" 20 ft backwards (says he wasn't going that fast...) Transmission was in neutral, with just the e-brake on - "fortunately". It was towed to body shop as the car barely ran, because the intercooler was smashed, exhaust leak, lots of smoke from tailpipe....

Body shop replaced front bumper, grills, absober, thrust sensor, impact bar, pass. front fender, intercooler, sensor, and ducts.

Seems like it is running OK, but I want to describe something that I noticed driving it to work, and wondered if "this is the way it should be..?"

Sitting at a light in neutral, I reved the engine to 2000 rpm. Holding my foot steady on the (gas) pedal, I pushed down on the brake pedal. Engine RPMs fell to 1100rpm. Letting off brake pedal, engine RPMs climbed back to 2000rpm....

It is repeatable - cold, hot, 2500rpm, 1800rpm.....it seems to drop down to 1100 rpm.

Is this functioning OK??

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
There is a limiting system that prevents you from applying both acceleartor and brakes at the same time.

Basicly, the ECU doesn't know what you are tring to do...accelearate or slow down.

Harlan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks Herm-that's kinda what I thought, but just trying to make sure it "runs like it did before the accident."

cage

Top Post Dawg
Yeah ever since the Audi sudden acceleration issues in the late 70's early 80's VW is paranoid about law suits.