www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 19th, 2019, 00:41   #1
RustySax1949

Fuel Economy: Yup - it's a TDI!
Default Diesel Oil, or "Here we go again!"

I'll probably get heavily flamed for this story, but here goes anyway:

Since I bought my 2003 Jetta TDI, I've used the correct VW-spec oil in the ALH engine with each oil service. But 5,000 miles ago, I found myself in a dilemma: Engine was due for an oil change, we were campground hosting miles from the back forty with no approved oil anywhere to be found, and no time to spend searching for some. Plus extremely poor internet service, let alone getting it delivered.

I remedied the situation by using Mobil Delvac 1240 that I carry on the RV to feed it's engine - a 450 hp Detroit Diesel 8V92T. Yup, 12 liters and 1400+ ft.lbs of torque back there, just a wee bit more than the TDI. It's a straight 40wt with a 0.80% sulfated ash content, and an API (now retired) CF-2 rating. (You can buy the same oil at a Detroit Diesel dealer's parts department under their "Power Guard 40" label.) This oil is formulated for the HD two-stroke engine, one which the mains and connecting rod bearings never get a "rest" between power strokes, unlike a Cummins, Cat, a current generation Detroit, or even our beloved TDIs get. And, yes - I did install a new oil filter at the same time.

Since I'm coming due for another oil change at 235,000 miles, I thought I'd share some things I've noticed while running the "wrong oil" for my engine:

1) It doesn't blow blue smoke out the exhaust when first started. Factory-spec oil killed lots of mosquitos until the engine warmed up.

2) It still starts easily (I live in temperate climates year-round.)

3) It has not used ANY oil at all over 4900 miles. With the VW-spec oil it nearly always was down a quart at oil change time.

4) The engine seems to be quieter, not as much clatter.

So that's my story. I doubt that I've done irreparable damage, but thought others might be interested in what happens in a light-duty diesel when it's fed heavy-duty diesel oil.

Let the flames begin!
RustySax1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:07   #2
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

I would love to see an oil analysis to show the wear patterns on this oil. You may be the only person to ever try this in a VW diesel.

Im a fan of using “real” Diesel engine oils in our cars. A quality synthetic CJ-4 or CK-4 will perform better, hold soot in suspension and prevent wear better than any 505 oil can. With that said, SAE 40 is really too thick for an ALH. DD 2 strokes shear oil so multigrades aren’t recommended in these applications. It’s also CF spec which is ancient.

Thicker oils tend to quiet engines. No surprise there.

Thicker oils also reduce valve stem leakage, so less smoke at startup and less consumption.

Monogrades generally are less volatile, so less consumption as well.

You may get the same effect if you try an SAE 30, there are some synthetic monogrades, which would be more suitable for the turbocharged ALH.
CleverUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 07:32   #3
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Just for whatever it's worth, many years ago a member in Ontario with a then MK IV had the oil changed to correct VW specs, at 10,000m had the oil analyzed at a lab. Result oil was still 100%. Had it analyzed at 20,000m again at the lab and result was the oil was still 100%. Then at 30,000m had it tested again and the oil was still good.

So why some people are so anal if they go a bit past the "due" date is beyond me?
Nothing bad will happen if you extend the oil change by a few thousand m/km!!!
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 07:54   #4
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

That oil should work fine until you encounter cool weather. I'm in agreement with JettaPilot, the correct spec oil doesn't just expire at exactly 10k. I've extended the oci to as much as 15k while traveling.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 13:28   #5
RustySax1949

Fuel Economy: Yup - it's a TDI!

Hmmm. . .

Maybe I'll just change the filter and pull an oil sample, something I do regularly for the big DD. Will also be interesting to compare samples between the four-stroke VW and the two-stroke DD. . .

Turbo - I live in the RV full-time and "snowbird," staying in 60-80 degree weather year-round, so I don't think cooler weather will be an issue with the Jetta.

FWIW. . .

RustySax1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 15:13   #6
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Honestly, you should have used a CF-4 or newer spec oil. But as long as it didn't blow up....
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2019, 06:48   #7
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
So why some people are so anal if they go a bit past the "due" date is beyond me?
The best part, it looks like he is using 5k OCI's.
Old July 24th, 2019, 07:45   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
The best part, it looks like he is using 5k OCI's.
That's not how I read it. In any case, hopefully he does send in a sample for analysis, and reports back with the findings.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 23:28   #9
tdiman
Veteran Member

Mine will be at 20,000 in 6,000 miles will be testing and then Designing to continue or change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 03:17   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

When TDIs were launched in the mid-90s VW didn't spec synthetic oil. However, they found the non-synthetic was developing coke on the top piston ring (allegedly because of its proximity to the combustion event) "freezing" the ring and causing excessive oil consumption. They switched the oil requirement to synthetic and the 505.00 spec.

So one fill with single weight non-synthetic may have been OK, but continued use may be risky.
Old August 4th, 2019, 05:09   #11
johnsTDI

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

You should Only use the proper spec and Viscosity Oil it calls for on Your engine I Only use dealer spec 5w30 Castrol Professional Oil & filter in my 2012 TDI $50.00 for Oil & another $17.30 for Oil filter at Local VW. i could use mobile 1 esp at $15.00 a liter but the dealers is cheaper and its proper oil & filter i change Oil & filter myself at 5,000 km's because its equiped with a turbo and i want to extend its life. but thats me many will argue that there extending there oil changes 15-20,000 just keep in mind. the Oil filter is in bypass mode at that mileage so its no longer filtering oil

but letting dirty oil back into Your engine. and if its a equiped with a turbo your jeperdizing its life span by wearing it out earlyier than normal. Oil is still cheap to buy vs buying an engine or turbo unit. many examples online of people pushing there oil changes well beyond the life of the oil change rec. with a disasterous & expensive $$ outcome.
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 05:46   #12
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

5k km oil change intervals? Somebody has been reading the Jiffy lube brochures.
Old August 4th, 2019, 11:09   #13
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
You should Only use the proper spec and Viscosity Oil it calls for on Your engine I Only use dealer spec 5w30 Castrol Professional Oil & filter in my 2012 TDI $50.00 for Oil & another $17.30 for Oil filter at Local VW. i could use mobile 1 esp at $15.00 a liter but the dealers is cheaper and its proper oil & filter i change Oil & filter myself at 5,000 km's because its equiped with a turbo and i want to extend its life. but thats me many will argue that there extending there oil changes 15-20,000 just keep in mind. the Oil filter is in bypass mode at that mileage so its no longer filtering oil

but letting dirty oil back into Your engine. and if its a equiped with a turbo your jeperdizing its life span by wearing it out earlyier than normal. Oil is still cheap to buy vs buying an engine or turbo unit. many examples online of people pushing there oil changes well beyond the life of the oil change rec. with a disasterous & expensive $$ outcome.
Changing the oil every 3,000 miles is silly and a waste of resource$. If youíre doing it to reassure yourself then Iíve got some bad news for you...

I wish I would have used a different oil on my Ď09 buyback Jetta. Those 2.0 TDIs shed lots of iron because VW used main injection to supply fuel for Regeneration of the DPF and it washes the oil off of the cylinders. I never tried a 5w40,10w40 or 15w40 Real Diesel oil but Iím sure it would have resisted the cylinder washing better than the 5w30 507 oil they tell you to use. VW finally figured it out with the 2015s.

If you donít believe me install a magnetic drain plug on your oil pan. Itíll blow your mind how much metal is on there. Itís all grey cast iron from the cylinder walls.
CleverUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 13:19   #14
johnsTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
Changing the oil every 3,000 miles is silly and a waste of resource$. If youíre doing it to reassure yourself then Iíve got some bad news for you...
I wish I would have used a different oil on my Ď09 buyback Jetta. Those 2.0 TDIs shed lots of iron because VW used main injection to supply fuel for Regeneration of the DPF and it washes the oil off of the cylinders. I never tried a 5w40,10w40 or 15w40 Real Diesel oil but Iím sure it would have resisted the cylinder washing better than the 5w30 507 oil they tell you to use. VW finally figured it out with the 2015s.
If you donít believe me install a magnetic drain plug on your oil pan. Itíll blow your mind how much metal is on there. Itís all grey cast iron from the cylinder walls.

Listen to what You Just wrote
Old August 4th, 2019, 13:39   #15
johnsTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Just for whatever it's worth, many years ago a member in Ontario with a then MK IV had the oil changed to correct VW specs, at 10,000m had the oil analyzed at a lab. Result oil was still 100%. Had it analyzed at 20,000m again at the lab and result was the oil was still 100%. Then at 30,000m had it tested again and the oil was still good.
im not fond of Getting Oil Analyzed because it wont tell You the true condition of piston bearings. if Your thinking of pushing Oil&filter to 20-30,000 usa mile intervals thats asking for trouble. because theres no Oil filter on the market that will keep filtering past around the 7,500 usa miles it will go into bypass mode and not filter anything in bypass mode its letting all dirty diluted contaminated Oil thru the Filter into Your engine is that worth it? really.? Your better off spending the lousy $75.00 on proper spec oil & filter than to sit back and risk & watch the engine wear down to crap. fresh oil Preserves engines not contaminated dirty extended oil changes.