***The Driving Game*** - picture scavenger hunt v2

Forza91

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI, 2004 Golf GLS TDI
Of cars readily available in the US, all I can think of is : US, Germany, England, Japan, Sweden, South Korea, Italy... Sure you've got all the super cars, but that's treading in "having all the planets align" territory. I barely see any English cars, people here tend to love their Japanese and German cars.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Fun challenge, I got to prove my cousin wrong, he didn't believe it could be done around here as most vehicles are "American".

I hope I can get this pic uploaded before someone else. I have left to right:

American - Chevy
MY TDI
Korean - Hyundai Tiburon
Japanese - Mitsubishi
Australian - Subaru
German - VW Passat
British - Range Rover

I had to make several attempts at this picture as one vehicle or another was blocking the view. My cousin is driving my car to position it so I can get the rest in the pic :)

Last edited:

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Is this good for the win? (#809) Your TDI with cars from six different countries.

As you can see, I didn't have a lot of time to spare as the woman in the Subaru was about to leave. This took about 4-5 attempts to get every vehicle in the picture.

Last edited:

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Oh, I just found my TDI twin today, minus the mini-rear spoiler and still has the original tail lights :D

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
Dang shrifty that was close! Nice try! :)

Current challenge: (#809) Your TDI with cars from six different countries.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was going to post something like this, but I ran out of time... making dinner now and can't make it up to DC by 10pm.

That was the scaffolding they used a while back to clean the monument - it was lit from inside the scaffolding. The stuff they have up now to repair the earthquake damage doesn't look nearly as nice. :(

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Official ballot for centenary 7, challenge #800

Official ballot for centenary 7, challenge #800

voting for 24 hours starting now.

Lumber town, remember? These were school buildings used in the travelling lumber camps and are now located across the street from the Art Station.

I am going with choice #3 as my official submission. That's the School on Wheels.
Official Challenge #800 Entry

So, now that I know how centenary challenges work, this will be my entry. This angular glass building is the Brown Center at MICA; the peak at the right actually projects out over the street.

http://www.mica.edu/browse_art/brown_center.htm

Is this "interesting / unique" enough to satisfy the requirements of #800? I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone as this building is on the campus of the Maryland Institute College of Art, but WEB beat me to #803.
Challenge #800 Submission:

As a preface, I should mention that Saratoga Springs, where I live, was settled because of its many natural mineral springs. The building in this picture is the former Washington Bath House, opened around 1920, and since 1987 has been home to the National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame. Yes, there's a hall of fame for everything
Challenge #800 Submission:

Bank of America barn

This a was Phillips 66 Station from 1966/7. At some point it was turned into a Naugles fast food restaurant. Everyone called it "The Spaceship Naugles." Del Taco aquired the location sometime in the 90's I think, but somehow the "spaceship" moniker didn't keep.

It got pretty rough and recently closed and was slated for demolition, but a local campaign to save this landmark managed to keep the wrecking ball away, and as you can see it has now been restored into this combo Starbucks and Chipotle franchise. The college kids now refer to it as "Starpotle"
Official submission for 800

Always saw the covered wagon installation driving up and down I-205, but never put 2 and 2 together.

Last is my official submission. The Naval Museum which is home to USS Wisconsin (BB-64). She saw service from WWII to Gulf War I.
Well I made it...

adam4584

TDI
'04 B5.5 Passat, '09 Jetta tdi
my vote goes for VeeDubTDI

Current challenge: (#809) Your TDI with cars from six different countries.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I'm casting for midntdi, even though I really like whitedog's school train, simply because the photo is a little more visually appealing. :eek: Honorable mention to PressEnter too.

Current Challenge: (#809) Your TDI with cars from six different countries.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Tough vote, but I'd say whitedog.

Current Challenge: (#809) Your TDI with cars from six different countries.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Everybody can vote for a picture in the centenary challenge :)

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I will It's just tough to pick one.:)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I narrowed it down to visual appeal so it was between mine and Dozenspeed. With Starbucks in the picture, I decided to vote for my own. Besides, it was really difficult getting the exposure just right. I had to decide between -0- -1- or -2-:rolleyes:

OK it was more luck, but did you notice the way the sun caught the rims?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I have found great joy in learning one or two simple tricks from Digital Corpus with low-light issues. I suggest exploring your camera's menus a little more, and see if you can alter aperture (amount of light allowed) and exposure (duration) manually. Then you must have the camera super stable, I use a tripod almost all the time now!

All my pics with the blue time stamps are a cheapo $80 Sanyo from Wal-mart, it's really rather lame to be honest, but I simply use it's "anti-shake" mode in the daylight, usually on a tripod, and it's "night scene" for the night shots, definately on a tripod. These are cheesy good-enough modes that are pre-programmed idiot settings. It HAS "full manual" options, but they are a pain to use and very limited in range, so I don't bother. :rolleyes:

After that I'll commonly do one or two favorite post-production doctorings for a little "plus-it". ;)

Here's what even simple post-production can reveal in your photo even with the on-site difficulties and camera limitations. :)

Current Challenge: (#809) Your TDI with cars from six different countries

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
I'll vote for PressEnter, that picture would have been more dramatic in Black/White but I like it in color too.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
The camera on my phone isn't any better than that $80 one. I can set the exposure or choose a few pre-programmed choices and I can zoom, but beyond that it's all luck.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I didn't realize that we were being graded on the composition, lighting, etc. of the photo as well as the content. In that case, my vote goes to VeeDubTDI.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI

Of cars readily available in the US, all I can think of is : US, Germany, England, Japan, Sweden, South Korea, Italy...
Yugos would fit though they are hard to find. And maybe someone would get lucky with a Russian car brought over. There are still Peugeots around, but they are as rare as Yugos.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't realize that we were being graded on the composition, lighting, etc. of the photo as well as the content. In that case, my vote goes to VeeDubTDI.
You can grade on whatever scale that you want. Oldest, most universal, pretties, biggest, smallest, whatever it is that YOU want.

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
Yugos would fit though they are hard to find. And maybe someone would get lucky with a Russian car brought over. There are still Peugeots around, but they are as rare as Yugos.
Did Lada's ever get sold in the US? I've seen a few Niva's on the roads up here.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Lol! Well.....heh heh.......:eek: ahem. It's a vote for your favorite entry...simply...and I was trying to fine-pick justify the tough choice. Beauty of a vote is everyone gets to choose on their personal criteria? I think we produce some quality stuff for a bunch of amatuers sometimes, and I think it's neat how the particpating community dictate the recipie that is this thread. :cool:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Gotta vote for VeeDubTDI, especially if I wanna kepe crashing at his place for Impexfest this weekend :)

Craneguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle (sold), 2014 BMW 328d
My vote for Centenary 7 (#800) goes to whitedog - for "School on wheels".

CG