Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
I assume you mean a manual transmission.

If this were a 2003 model, then I would expect a 5 speed. Being a 2013 model, GM would be a typical load of fail if they didn't have a 6 speed as the manual transmission option.
Yes, manual my bad:)

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo

Thanks for the link. read the whole thread not too much optimism from the posters.

Found a link posted there on Cruze models and it does not look like the diesel model will be available with a manual:(

Also, with the base MSRP #'s the price looks like it will be no better than the VW once a couple of options are thrown on it.:(

I guess I am just cheap as I cannot in any way stomach cars with 20K+ price tags. Just does not seem like any car is worth that kind of cake. $200 bucks a month over 4 years is all I want to spend for a car/truck. Guess I live in a fantasy world and will continue buying used cars.

Paying $400+ per month+fuel+insurance+maintainance will =$600-700 per month to own for 5 years:eek:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have to laugh at some of the posts in that link. "50 MPG is a game changer". Really? So the cars we've already had available capable of that were what exactly? Don't remember much game changing back in the '70s, or '80s, or '90s, so why exactly can we expect it to change today? Last I checked, the F150 and Silverado still outsell anything that gets 30 MPG let alone 50. :rolleyes:

And the other posts that prove, once again, GM is asleep at the wheel. Like "I sure hope a manual is available". Yeah, keep hoping buddy. I am too. :(

Let's just hope for the best: that these cars DO actually materialize, and that they don't suck, and they sell in great numbers AND that GM actually is able to build them to keep up demand, and not have some lame "20% alotment" on them while offering people $5000 cash to take home a gasser version while jacking the price of the diesels up an extra $2k "just because". Sound familiar?

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I guess I am just cheap as I cannot in any way stomach cars with 20K+ price tags. Just does not seem like any car is worth that kind of cake. $200 bucks a month over 4 years is all I want to spend for a car/truck. Guess I live in a fantasy world and will continue buying used cars.

Paying $400+ per month+fuel+insurance+maintainance will =$600-700 per month to own for 5 years:eek:
Would it be so bad if you owned it for 5 years after paying off? The one nice thing about buying used is that no one else had the chance to screw it up (missing OCI's, TB's, etc).

bibendum

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta tdi
Thanks for the link. read the whole thread not too much optimism from the posters.

Found a link posted there on Cruze models and it does not look like the diesel model will be available with a manual:(

Also, with the base MSRP #'s the price looks like it will be no better than the VW once a couple of options are thrown on it.:(

Even if it was cheaper than a vw, the build quality will still be that of Government Motors. A pile of rubbish

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Let's just hope for the best: that these cars DO actually materialize, and that they don't suck, and they sell in great numbers AND that GM actually is able to build them to keep up demand, and not have some lame "20% alotment" on them while offering people $5000 cash to take home a gasser version while jacking the price of the diesels up an extra $2k "just because". Sound familiar?
I look for them to be in limited supply for at least through mid model year 2014. All other things, I agree with you. In order for other car companies to see the US as a viable market for diesels, we need the Cruze diesel to be a success.

I had heard late spring or early summer of next year for the Cruze diesel, which I would assume that it would be marketed as a 2014.

bibendum

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta tdi
Well, I drove a 2012 sonic, as a rental, I have not driven a 12 jetta, but the sonic seems cheaper built than my 09.

kaanage

TDI
1.9 PD Polo
One of my friends has a Cruze diesel and it seems reasonably well made and OK for getting you from A to B but it isn't particularly inspiring to drive. The engine seems 'looser' than that in our 2.0 CR Golf - it feels fairly similar in power delivery to the Golf.

Down here, the pricing for the diesel Cruze is VERY competitive - close to that of the Hyundai i30 diesel and a lot cheaper than the Focus diesel (let alone the Golf).

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
In Germany, Chevrolet prices are MUCH lower than comparable Hyundai prices... and Chevys always have about 30% off MSRP on top of that.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
2013 CY Cruze Diesel

Last hint I saw was as a 2014.

Chevrolet will introduce 13 all-new or significantly updated models during 2013 in what one executive calls a "big year" for the General Motors Co. brand.
"A couple … will be complete surprises, which we're thrilled about," Mike Albano, head of Chevrolet communications, said during a media briefing Wednesday.
Among vehicles Chevy is counting are the all-new 2014 Silverado pickup, Silverado HD pickup, Tahoe and Suburban SUVs, all-new 2014 Impala sedan, Spark battery-electric vehicle, 2013 Cruze diesel, 2013 Sonic RS, 2014 SS performance sedan, refreshed 2013 Traverse SUV and 2013 Equinox with a new V-6.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121011/AUTO0103/210110352#ixzz290It9h9Y

Disappointed it will require urea, happy to see another diesel offering, wondering if GM will do more harm than good?

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I doubt it. It's becoming cliche to point out that diesel was "killed by GM" three decades ago--it's only the journalists point that out anymore. I'd be more concerned with the journalist "oopsing" and reporting rumor as fact.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Urea is a good thing. Basically, you've either gotta use urea or fuel, and if you're using fuel, you're raising EGTs sky high during NOx reduction.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121011/AUTO0103/210110352#ixzz290It9h9Y

Disappointed it will require urea, happy to see another diesel offering, wondering if GM will do more harm than good?
If you look at the mileage comparison between the Jetta and Passat, it seems that using Urea will give better mileage. Also implies that the cruze will be heavier than the jetta and probably closer to the passat, so it has to use urea instead of just the dpf.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The Jetta is using the DPF plus a NOx trap, both of which require regeneration with fuel. (There's also an H2S trap, due to the NOx trap's output during regen containing H2S, which is deadly.)

The Passat is using the DPF plus SCR. The DPF requires regeneration with fuel, the SCR gets constant spraying (based on demand) of urea.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
If you look at the mileage comparison between the Jetta and Passat, it seems that using Urea will give better mileage. Also implies that the cruze will be heavier than the jetta and probably closer to the passat, so it has to use urea instead of just the dpf.

the passat gets better fuel economy because the egr rate (waste gas recirculated) is far less than the golf, basically the NOx is destroyed by urea and not reduced in the combustion chamber

in diesel engines the egr rate is directly related to a reduction in fuel economy

so urea in the cruze diesel is a good thing

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...ZMSn3b_IKQWQ-I9EQ&sig2=5cxmvszmF27oT7n-8tsi-Q

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
What's not to like about urea? It's cheap, effective, and readily available. The lack of urea use in the Golf and Jettas is a negative- IMO.

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Cruzin into challenges

truman: >What's not to like about urea? It's cheap, effective, and readily available.

I see it as little different than the periodic fuel filter change in the TDI. It is not a significant issue in the purchasing decision. I'd consider a Cruze-D. Top concerns are:

• No wagon. No sale. Ignore bullet points below.
  • Which engine is this, exactly? (AFAIK, GM has access to at least two candidates, and one has unhappier customers than the other)
  • How does the fuel system do on US-spec tanker bilge, plus inconsistent lubricity risks, contamination risks, and predictable mis-fueling? (what happens - how much to fix - who pays)
  • Does the machine have a credible chance of running to 250,000 miles without a new engine and transmission?
  • What will the actual mostly-hwy mpg be? (ignore EPA)
  • What are the transmission choices? (manual is OK)
I'm beginning to think that my next "new" car will be a run-out used PD that I'll restore.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Terrible

Just have a look on a fuel economy logging website in a market where the Cruze diesel is available:

Euro Cruze automatic average real-life logged fuel economy: 29.3 mpg
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...?fueltype=1&power_s=160&gearing=2&powerunit=2

Euro Cruze manual average real-life logged fuel economy: 34.7 mpg
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...?fueltype=1&power_s=160&gearing=1&powerunit=2
Not good. Maybe they are driving 110 mph on the Autobahn.
29.14 is reported mpg for a Golf 2.0 diesel with DSG on the same site.:eek:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
If you look at recent-model BMW 530d automatic fuel economy recordings at spritmonitor, they are better than the auto Cruze average. And a 530d has 600 lbs more, 2 cylinders more and nearly 100hp more than the Cruze.
I get better than the average recorded for my car there, but I don't do a lot of city driving. (Average is 5.95 l/100km, my recorded average over the last few tanks is 5.5 l/100km)
29.14 is reported mpg for a Golf 2.0 diesel with DSG on the same site.:eek:
The average for 2010-2012 Golf TDI DSGs is 6.3 l/100km (37.3 mpg) http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...power_s=140&power_e=140&gearing=4&powerunit=2
Manual transmissions get an 5.77 l/100km (40.8 mpg) average. http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...power_s=140&power_e=140&gearing=1&powerunit=2
There are always some unusually good and unusually bad data points. Maybe 29 mpg guy tows all the time?
No matter how you look at it, the Cruze diesel gets terrible fuel economy compared to the competition.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Just have a look on a fuel economy logging website in a market where the Cruze diesel is available:

Euro Cruze automatic average real-life logged fuel economy: 29.3 mpg
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...?fueltype=1&power_s=160&gearing=2&powerunit=2

Euro Cruze manual average real-life logged fuel economy: 34.7 mpg
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overv...?fueltype=1&power_s=160&gearing=1&powerunit=2
Pretty hard to argue for the diesel version when the gas version can do about as well and gas is significantly cheaper than diesel in the US. This doen't bode well for sales of the diesel Cruze in the US.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Pretty hard to argue for the diesel version when the gas version can do about as well and gas is significantly cheaper than diesel in the US. This doen't bode well for sales of the diesel Cruze in the US.

yes, but consider that the gasser version got a pathetic 25mpg, the diesel version looks pretty good:(

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-chevrolet-cruze-ltz-test-chevy-cruze-review

Also average was an observed 25 mpg, a little disappointing for such a midget engine. As we mentioned, the little Ecotec, at least under our whip, spent an awful lot of time zinging—and thus drinking.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Was at an ASE workshop last week, GM guy was there and he insists the Cruze diesel, along with the Cadillac ATS and the new Trailblazer will be in our showrooms for the 2013 MY. I informed him that the 2013 MY cars have been in showrooms since about August, but he still stuck to his guns.

We'll see...

(good news is, the Cruze's engine uses a BELT!).

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Last I had heard, they were going to be 2013.5s, so he's not lying until the 2014s start showing up...

(Prediction: The 2025s will start showing up before the Cruze Diesel ever does.)

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
yes, but consider that the gasser version got a pathetic 25mpg, the diesel version looks pretty good:(

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-chevrolet-cruze-ltz-test-chevy-cruze-review

Also average was an observed 25 mpg, a little disappointing for such a midget engine. As we mentioned, the little Ecotec, at least under our whip, spent an awful lot of time zinging—and thus drinking.
Very strange. I'm getting 36.4 with my 2012 Cruze 6m 2LT RS and that's mainly backroads.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Was at an ASE workshop last week, GM guy was there and he insists the Cruze diesel, along with the Cadillac ATS and the new Trailblazer will be in our showrooms for the 2013 MY. I informed him that the 2013 MY cars have been in showrooms since about August, but he still stuck to his guns.

We'll see...

(good news is, the Cruze's engine uses a BELT!).
Not exactly. The 1.8 non turbo has a belt, while the 1.4 turbo has a chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.