glowplug recall = messed up ECM tune?

jgeppelt

TDI
1997 Passat TDI (B4)
okay, so I had the Glow Plug recall performed on my 2005 passat tdi last week. Ever since then I have had the "emissions workshop" light coming on when the car is started. I had the code read at my local auto parts dealers and the code specifically states:

EGR flow insufficient detected
Eplanation
Faulty EGR vacuum regulator
Probable cause
aa1 - faulty egr valve
aa2 - blcoked egr passages

So, I called the dealer that performed the recall to inquire if the ECM software update they performed as part of the glow plug recall could have caused this. Their reply was no.

So, today I went to clean to EGR valve and noticed that an EGR bypass had been done - I assume by the previous owner - who I have not been able to reach. From my research it appears that this is farely common: removing the EGR cooler and replacing it with plates on the manifold and block. I also learned that the only way to keep a bypassed EGR from throwing a code is to have the ECM tuned.

I have never thrown this code since owning the car - and the EGR valve has been bypassed the whole time, as I didn't do it...

The question: Assuming the ECM had been tuned (the only way that I've been able to tell you can keep a code from popping up), would the software update from the glow plug recall have messed that up?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Absolutely, From what I understand, you don't just update certain portions of the ECU code. A completely new Code is uploaded. Any previous tune is erased.

jgeppelt

TDI
1997 Passat TDI (B4)
The previous owner just called me back. An EGR bypass was done along with an Alligator ECM tune. Based off of Johnboy000's response, is there an easy way to have this tune restored? The previous owner mentioned having the ECM "flashed"? If so, is there anyone in Denver, CO that can do that for me? Can I do any damage to the car driving it until I can get it retuned?

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
No damage, just a CEL/MIL on your dashboard. There is a kerma vendor in your area IIRC.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
See my response to you in the other thread that you posed this very same question.
IIRC=if I recall correctly