Best quality oil filter

D-Roc

TDI
None
My buddy has an 05 and logs a lot of miles. I suggested a higher quality oil filter with a high micron rating and a synthetic media, as well as oil analysis w/extended drains. Are there any filters out there for this particular year?
He is past his warranty.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
the OE filter for an 05 is good for 50K km. I wouldn't bother trying to find a better one.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Mann (rated for 50,000km or 30,000 miles when performing extended service intervals)

DB

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Drivbiwire said:
Mann (rated for 50,000km or 30,000 miles when performing extended service intervals)

DB
So is it safe to go 20,000 or 2 oil changes on the one filter? I did that the last time but was not sure if I should have or not. Looks like I could have gone 3 oil changes. I use Rotella T 5W40 Blue bottle.

KROUT

persona non grata
I would never leave an oil filter inn that longer. I dont care if vw says its ok or not. Mine gets changed every 5000 miles. I also use rotella.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
KROUT said:
I would never leave an oil filter inn that longer. I dont care if vw says its ok or not. Mine gets changed every 5000 miles. I also use rotella.
What oil are you using to change it at 5000 miles? The Blue Synthetic or white bottle? 10,000 miles is recommended. That is if your using good oil.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Lefty said:
So is it safe to go 20,000 or 2 oil changes on the one filter? I did that the last time but was not sure if I should have or not. Looks like I could have gone 3 oil changes. I use Rotella T 5W40 Blue bottle.
I would change the filter when you change the oil, to get as much of the old stuff out as possible.

My first post on this thread was intended to inform that the filter is good for use with long-life oil (up to 31K mi)

KROUT

persona non grata
I use the white bottle rotella. And yes its changed at a max of every 5,000 miles. Keep in mind my tdi is a high performance tdi (well compaired to most)and the oil temps far exceed the normal oil temps to a stock tdi.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Thanks missed that little tidbit of THE WRONG OIL BEING USED...

DB

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
If you want the best in oil filtration, put in a dieselgeek bypass system. I put one on my car yesterday, it filters down to 2 microns. With your normal filter you have to be very careful about restricting flow and starving oil to bearings. The bypass system just takes a small % of your oil and filters it to a very high level.

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
I also have a DG bipass filter & use Amsoil synthetic which is rated for extended drain periods. Most of the TDI guys using this combo change oil @ 25k & frequently send samples of their oil out for quality control tests. Read on to check it out.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
I only run quality oils in my pristine engines and the best part is I pay less for oil and my engines are in BETTER condition...

I wouldn't use the white bottle Rotella in my lawnmower since it doesn't even meet that specification.

If you have some old worn out IDI engine built back in 1960 sure why not use the grease like 15w40 non synthetic.

As for my oil changes:

VW 20,000 miles between changes (UOA)
MB 13,000-19,000 miles between changes (FSS+ monitoring)

DB

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
Well my first engine lasted 283,000 and the oil pan is clean and bearing are still good. Nothing but white bottle rotela since 40,000 miles. I had a crank pully problem take out the head. While the white bottle oil may not be aproved by some here I have 2 high millage tdi's that run it and its great.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'll put in my two cents...

I always said, "If you want to start something, talk about oil."

The oil can't be too good

The filter can't filter too clean

The oil can't be changed too often (if you are looking for engine nirvana)

Most people don't realize that the reason that car companies have made recommendations for extended oil changes is not because the oil is so great or the filtering is so improved, but because of EPA regulations and conservation efforts (different countries, different rules, but tending the same way). Everybody is wanting to be GREEN and throwing away oil after 3,000 miles doesn't fit with making the world a cleaner place.

I guess the difference is whether you are an oil company, trying to sell oil or a tree-hugging Sierra Club member trying to save the whales and sequoias, whether you change oil and filters more frequently or less frequently.

There is a 'best' oil, but a whole lotta 'great' oils. Just pick a good synthetic, because that will protect your turbo much better, especially in stressed situations.

As for filters, I believe there is very little difference between the makes of filters that go into the canisterless 'green' style modern VW diesels. Mann, VW's OEM, Bosch... I wouldn't doubt they don't use the same media. But eventually, they all start to become clogged and inspite of a comment to the contrary, it is not a matter of engine oil starvation, but whether your pressure relief valve opens, allowing infiltered oil to bypass the filter... don't every do that. Don't even risk it.

If you are changing filters every 20,000 miles, you will buy 10 filters over an average life expectancy ownership of 200k, or about $100, give or take.

If you change in 10k it's another $100... or if you figure it out, do you want to spend 1 cent a mile or 2 cents.. or 4 cents?

I put in my two cents.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Oil filter media in the OEM VW A3 Filter vs after market A3 filter media:

There is a reason why the OEM can go 30,000 miles.

The media in the MANN OEM filters is also a special fiber designed for use with synthetic lubricants. It resists hardending and is capable of extended service.

The full flow filter in any properly maintained TDI is as a matter of fact NOT filtering anything out of the oil. Wear metals are so small that the filter is just there to stop the one in a billion large flake that can occur in normal use.

Cut a filter up after 20,000 miles and examine under a microscope...the only thing you will find aside from an occasional metal particle in the 20-50 micron range is saturated filter element.

These motors aren't Model T's or Chevy 350's that generate large amounts of metal. Using appropriately rated lubricants [fortified with correct additives] all but eliminate the wear metals in your motor.

Here is what you will find in the oil after 20,000 miles, nothing larger than 2 microns was found:

The full flow oil filter simply cant stop particles in this size range. Now if you add a by-pass we have something worth debating :D

DB

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I would NEVER use a Fram...ever

The extra flutes are all well and good, but once again, I'm going to be 'old school'. There is more to oil changes than a bit of debris that gathers on the filter. And like I said... 1 cent... 2 cents... what's the big deal? 1 penny a mile? Filters are easy to change. Engines are not. If I get an extra 50,000 miles by being a bit more anal, the extra filters are paid for in engine longevity.

"Live well and prosper"--Spock

DwightC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5M
Drivbiwire:
Nice ferrogram. Looks like normal rubbing wear particles at maybe, 500x magnification? and they're mostly ferrous, too, since they are lined up in a row. Thanks for posting them.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Franko6 said:
I would NEVER use a Fram...ever (snip)
__. No "technical" info other than the eyeball test but I was just in the Wawmott here in town. I looked a the Fram recommended for the TDI - you couldn't make it flimsier if you moulded some Kleenex into the right shape (it was marked "Made in S Korea"). You could make me put that filter in my engine but you better bring something .40 caliber or bigger if you're gonna try.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
D-Roc said:
My buddy has an 05 and logs a lot of miles. I suggested a higher quality oil filter with a high micron rating and a synthetic media, as well as oil analysis w/extended drains. Are there any filters out there for this particular year?
He is past his warranty.
The OE filter (Mann?) is good for a 10k-mile oil change interval (recommended for PD engines using a 505.01 or better motor oil). The Wix filter (aka NAPA Gold) will also be fine.

There is no need to change the filter unless you're changing the oil. Or to change the oil without replacing the filter.

Also, despite the good results reported by our friend from Georgia, it is not a good idea to use conventional motor oil in a modern TDI engine.