Seat Memory Gone Haywire

juniormarbles

Unlocking my Mark V TDI with keyfob or door lock will reset the seat to an awkward position (I did not set it and it's unknown where that came from).
Pressing any of the saved memory button (1, 2, or 3) once I am in the car will restore the seat position to my previously saved settings. The position will stay until I lock and unlock the door again, at which time the awkward position returns.

I followed the manual trying to reset and remove the weird position, but so far to no avail.

Any tricks how to erase a preset position so I can lock and unlock my car and retain my selected and saved position without having to press the memory button every time?

P.S.: I posted this on Vortex, but did not get any response so far.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Had similar issues, needed to r&r the drivers seat switch (pretty sure directions were either on this site or myturbodiesel.Com). Once the switch is out you can open it to access the circuit board and see if there are any obvious issues. In my case the switch board had corrosion and just needed to be cleaned up. Otherwise replace switch. Pretty easy to find at scrap yards or probably not overly expensive to order.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/how-to-repair-a-failing-power-seat-switch-on-vw-or-audi/

Being electrical this could also be one of the harness and/or ground issues somewhat common w/these

Last edited:

juniormarbles

I appreciate your solutions, but I don't think I have the problem where these solutions apply:

I can recall, set and reprogram with any of the 4 memory switches fine. Only after I unlock the door does the seat sets itself to a phantom setting.

So the unintended seat setting must be somehow related to locking and unlocking the door.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Have you replaced the door harness? A fairly common problem on these

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I appreciate your solutions, but I don't think I have the problem where these solutions apply:

I can recall, set and reprogram with any of the 4 memory switches fine. Only after I unlock the door does the seat sets itself to a phantom setting.

So the unintended seat setting must be somehow related to locking and unlocking the door.
Don't discount the switch. It is easy to pop out and clean. If that does not resolve the issue, you can look at replacing the door harness, or checking the other switches on the seat.

juniormarbles

I will take out the switch, inspect it closely and restore contacts, if necessary.

Driver's door lock was recently replaced, which also restored the interior light coming on again when opening the door. So all door-related/harness functions work again, so I am not inclined to deal with the harness hassle at this time.

I am not sure whether it is significant or not, but: lately the trunk light does not come on anymore (interior lights work, proper voltage getting to bulb, but ground connection at bulb seems open). I've been reading up on this and it's usually a connection failure inside the lock that is the cause. But who knows whether the two issues are related?

Last edited: