What did you do to your MK7 today?

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
This is a cross post from another forum but from the past weekend. I'm working on several retrofits. I was pushing for a Thanksgiving weekend drive but I won't make it. Now pushing for Christmas, feeling confident, haha.

Post will be most useless without pictures. I didn't take many but I'll add them later, lots of progress yesterday/today...
- Neuspeed TDI Turbo Disharge Damper... combined with Neuspeed intake, hoping for a bit of turbo noise, not performance gains
- Sound actor retrofit complete... not sure if it will work yet, but it's fully installed and wired (should be installed before the windshield, what a pain)
- OEM front fog harness fully installed and wired, just waiting for the bumper
- PDC harness(es) fully installed and wired, also waiting on bumper
- ACC sensor harness fully installed and wired... needs remote activation, and the plastic trim piece I somehow forgot to order
- DCC harness(es) routing almost complete... fed through firewall then into each front wheel well
- Added wires from cabin to ABS Module for TPMS Set and ESC Mode select via shifter surround buttons
-- Also added clutch position switch wire... exists on 46 pin ABS diagram but not on the 38 pin (not sure if I'll need it when I switch ABS's)

Sounds exhausting. Looking forward to the pics. Im still waiting on my ESC Mode switch from China.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Wavetrac LSD finished Saturday. I did NOT do the install, DSGs are beyond my reasoning. Case did not need grinding. Factory shims fell in tolerance spec. Feels like a completely different car.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Wavetrac LSD finished Saturday. I did NOT do the install, DSGs are beyond my reasoning. Case did not need grinding. Factory shims fell in tolerance spec. Feels like a completely different car.
Where in Rhode Island are you?

Last edited:

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Sweet, are you feeling the difference in street driving?
Yeah definitely but I couldn’t find anything on break in procedures so I’m going easy for the first 500 miles. I’ve hated the way my car feels with snow tires on and this helped the feel significantly even with ESC/ASR enabled. On/off ramps and hard breaking all have a completely different feel. I have not done any launches yet. It pulls itself through turns and feels like I have more control over the car. I would think this will all increase when putting back on summer tires.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@mayday_soc I'm in SoCal so no snow tires for me. Wavetrac would be a way down the line mod. I'm interested in the difference it makes for you once you're off snow tires. Mostly I'm just curious. I don't see myself getting to a power level that warrants an LSD since I'm in Cali and need to stay emissions compliant. At most I'll end up with the CR190 from Kerma.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Once things get back to whatever "normal" turns out to be, we should plan a get together.
Yeah for sure. Hey you don’t have a recommended TDI mechanic in RI do you? I’ve been doing most of my own work but I’m not comfortable tearing into my head/valves/timing chain.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Yeah for sure. Hey you don’t have a recommended TDI mechanic in RI do you? I’ve been doing most of my own work but I’m not comfortable tearing into my head/valves/timing chain.
Phil at South County Auto in Westerly is a VW/Audi Master Tech. We haven't used him yet as we're new to the area, but he's on our list. BTW, you have a timing belt, not a chain...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are a couple good gurus in MA that aren't too far from RI. Schnell Snail (Chris Zanis) in Wareham, and Kraftwerke (Chris Hill) in Walpole. Both are great. Chris Hill has kept all my TDIs running for years. Getting a timing belt service done correctly is worth driving a bit.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
There are a couple good gurus in MA that aren't too far from RI. Schnell Snail (Chris Zanis) in Wareham, and Kraftwerke (Chris Hill) in Walpole. Both are great. Chris Hill has kept all my TDIs running for years. Getting a timing belt service done correctly is worth driving a bit.
Yup. They are also on our list...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ugggh. I noticed the rear driver side door speaker hanging( the little one in middle, not the round one on bottom) when I opened door today. Looks like the black plastic backing on left bottom corner broke off, some still attached to panel. Also have water infiltrating along both rear doors now, which seems to be the bottom speaker seal failing from what I've researched so far.....

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Took it in for the "60k service" on Weds. Told the advisor I wanted the 60k service and brake fluid flush(been 2yrs. and 30k since it was done last). All was said and done with a discount I had was $314.13. However,I was told no air filter in stock so that wasn't changed out... got it home to put on the skidplate I removed before taking it in( don't want installed improperly or bolts ruined by dealer)... I noticed on receipt nothing about ad blue being filled, so off to WalMart I go-get the 2.5 gallon jug for $6.98. It takes almost all of it. Then I check under hood. Washer fluid wasn't topped off, but coolant was at least, as that was just below the min line when it went in. Engine oil was about 1/2 way in hash marks. Look at receipt again and shows only 5 quarts used, should be 5.8 quarts(at least my other service receipts show that amount) . Guess they'll be getting a nice review that they've been sending me emails for.....

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Sorry to hear that about the service center, really sucks. I'm torn about my scheduled service visits because I have VW Care, or whatever it's called through 120k. I haven't paid a dime for any scheduled service. I have the OEM heavy duty skid plate and at my last visit they didn't reinstall any of the small skid plate screws (T?) and they didn't reinstall the washer on all but one of the large (13mm?) bolts.

I left the service advisor a message advising then, just asking for my hardware... no response. Emailed the advisor directly (not wanting to send it to the department address) hoping he would make it right, even included the part numbers... no response. Emailed the department... no response. Then a month later, got the email invitation with the survey, which I filled out thoroughly... no response. Complete BS, but they did top off my fluids.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I did my 40K service myself. Other than that I'm doing as little as possible. This is my last ICE vehicle until I go electric.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Today starts a new project. Found a 2015 GTI locally that was rear ended, didn't have a front license plate (no holes), and was Tornado Red. Paid $500 for the entire front bumper assembly.

Need to order lower bumper guides (uppers are the same), and a full set of new clips, parking sensor brackets, screws etc. Will also need to figure out what kind of connector the GTI's LED fog lights use. The TSI/TDI fog's have an H8 connector, whereas the GTI uses these:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Shameless plug for my build thread... but I've consolidated a good bit of info from the PDC Retrofit Question thread into my own project (with credit given). Short of it is that OEM sensor brackets run $15-30 ea. This might not be so bad if you only need 4 or 6, it was too much for me needing 12. JBWeld Plastic Bonder works great for securing them, even without the plastic staples that Erwin calls for. I found a generic hole punch kit on eBay, has all the sizes you would need.

Build thread here... https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cuzoes-2015-golf-tdi-s-journal.373961/post-7561487

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Already got the part numbers I need:
  • GTI Front PDC Bracket Outer Left: 5G0919493B
  • GTI Front PDC Bracket Inner Left: 5G0919493C
  • GTI Front PDC Bracketp Outer Right: 5G0919494B
  • GTI Front PDC Bracket Inner Right: 5G0919493C
All are about $14 each, and yeah, I fortunately only need four of them. Interestingly, the PDC sensors don't call for thermal stapling (only the parallel assist sensors). VW says to use epoxy and clamp:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Even better, I didn't realize only the sides called for the thermals. As much as I like buying tools I couldn't justify buying the thermal staple tool. Are you buying the OEM tool for punching holes and clamping the brackets?

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
For anyone else who may be interested, here are all the other part numbers needed for the MK7 GTI front bumper:
  • Bumper Cover: 5GM807217HGRU
  • Upper Grille w/ Red Stripe: 5G0853651AJBTU (LP) or 5G0853651AMBTU (Non-LP, i.e., the stripe is lower.)
  • Upper Grille w/ Chrome Stripe: 5G0853651AKBTV (This is from the GTD, and I believe only comes in the LP version.)
  • Lower Grille: 5G0853677D9B9 (DAP) or 5GM853677D9B9 (Non-DAP)
  • Skid Valance: 5GM805915A9B9

• Lower Bumper Guide Left: 5GM807723A (Upper can be reused.)
  • Lower Bumper Guide Right: 5GM807724A (Upper can be reused.)

• Right Fog: 5GM941700A
  • Right Fog Grille: 5GM853666D9B9 or 5GM853666C9B9 for non-fog blanks.
  • Left Fog: 5GM941699A
  • Left Fog Grille: 5GM853665D9B9 or 5GM853665C9B9 for non-fog blanks.
Now, the assembly I bought had everything but the lower 'skid' valance included as all of the above make the complete front bumper "assembly" as found on https://www.car-part.com/. And just like my MIB2 navigation box, make sure you search multiple model years and trims; I found my Mk7 GTI bumper listed as one for a "Mk7.5 TSI w/o fogs."
Even better, I didn't realize only the sides called for the thermals. As much as I like buying tools I couldn't justify buying the thermal staple tool. Are you buying the OEM tool for punching holes and clamping the brackets?
Nah, the clamping tool is nothing more than a fancy drill bit with a bolt, nut, and some washers....which is exactly what I plan to use instead.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I certainly wouldn't have bought the clamping tool either. Generic hole punch kit worked great though, $50 on eBay. I'm looking for something else to punch nice clean holes with, haha.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
A family friend owns an auto body shop. So he's the one who will actually be doing the punches for me as I'll also be getting my hood resprayed due to rock chips (and eventually wrapped) as part of this entire process. That said, it looks like for the MK7's, you need an 18.2mm punch for the PDC sensors and 26mm for the side sensors. If I needed the punch, the Škoda one can be found for $22ish on eBay: BEA000001

I was going to respray my front bumper too, as mine is suffering from clear coat failure that seems all too common on 2015 Red's. But I chose to go the OEM+ route instead.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
So I'm not the only one looking at my front bumper suspiciously with regards to the clear coat. My car is TR also. And I meant to say I'm looking for more things to punch holes in. I ordered my PDC kit from AliExpress and I needed 18.2mm for the PDC's and 26.5mm for the sides. I'm sure your shop will measure the sensors first though.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Finished DCC install on my Golf S. This meant module (J250), harnessing, level sensors (two front, one rear left), accelerometers (two front, one rear left) and of course the dampers. So this also included replacing the steel Golf knuckles with the aluminum ones from the GTI/R because DCC dampers are 55mm.

And since I was replacing the knuckles I also needed to replace brakes, opted to install the Porsche Macan 4 pot fixed calipers with 345mm rotors. I'm going from 6 pots with 330mm rotors to 4 pots with 345mm rotors... I guess that's a side-grade. These fit under Neuspeed RSE05's without a spacer. I'm excited about this because I have Whiteline LCA's which add caster and I was getting minor rubbing.

I also installed EuroSport camber inserts to get back some of the camber I had when I was running fixed camber plates, but now without the noise/harshness. This should be another hedge against rubbing. I'm going to let the car settle for a week or so, then get an alignment and DCC basic setting/calibration done.

Not today but I also installed power folding BSM mirrors, parking aid/assist and full black interior (pillars/headliner/handles, dome lights, etc.).

I know, useless without pictures and @Nuje did show me and I did not learn yet.. I'm very busy, haha.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I do seriously want to see your black interior retrofit; I'd love to do that (my wife's 2016 e-tron is all-black interior and looks SO much nicer than my VW's "meh-grey"), but from searching parts sources it doesn't seem available here (North America). This guy over at Vortex got his recovered in alcantara, but that's just way too much suede-ish nap to the material for me.