Golf iV TDI manual transmission oil change

KeithOfOhio

TDI
2001 VW Golf manual TDI
Questions pertaining to a VW Golf Mod4 TDI 1.9L engine MANUAL TRANSMISSION OIL:

1) What is the capacity? 4.3 pints

2) What is the specification? (Am planning to replace with AmsOil.) AmsOil 75W-90

3) Manual infers a 100K change interval; is that okay? probably

4) MAIN QUESTION: What is the procedure to replace the maual transmission oil? (I know there is a plug to be checked for fluid level every 6K mile.) http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/manual-transmission-gear-oil-change-Jetta-Golf.htm

Last edited:

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 2004 jetta wagen
To find the inlet to the manuel trans:
1. Remove the engine cover (that's to make life easier).

2.On the right front side near the base of the transmission you will see screw plug staring up at you. This is the access to open and fill the trans.

3. The drain plug calls for removing the engine belly plate. Toward the rear of the trans near the axle shaft you will see the drain plug.

When I drained and filled my 2000 jetta I do not recall using 4 liters of trans oil. I vaguely recall using 2 liters. I bought some upgraded oil from Bora, (Vender) here in tdiclub. (It really increased my mpg by 3 miles in 4th gear. A blown 5th gear. That is another story that takes too long.)

It really is an easy job

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 2004 jetta wagen
To find the inlet to the manuel trans:
1. Remove the engine cover (that's to make life easier).

2.On the right front side near the base of the transmission you will see screw plug staring up at you. This is the access to open and fill the trans.

3. The drain plug calls for removing the engine belly plate. Toward the rear of the trans near the axle shaft you will see the drain plug.

When I drained and filled my 2000 jetta I do not recall using 4 liters of trans oil. I vaguely recall using 2 liters. I bought some upgraded oil from Bora, (Vender) here in tdiclub. (It really increased my mpg by 3 miles in 4th gear. A blown 5th gear. That is another story that takes too long.)

It really is an easy job

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
2 liters - get the VW G60 gear oil (replaces the old G52) - the dealer near me matched the World Impex price...and yours may if you ask nice..

I change mine every 8 years...in another 8 years the VW oil will be up to G90 or something...

Ray

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I suggest some high temperature [removable] thread sealer for the plugs. My plugs seep a little and I will use sealant next time.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I did this research on my 1997 Cabrio and found out that it is filled with 2 quarts or 2 liters of synthetic. I've decided to let it be.

For manual transmissions/transaxles and stand-alone differentials, I think you're better off to never check them at the fill plug unless you see leakage. Otherwise, you run the risk of introducing some grit. You also run the risk of putting the wrong fluid in there. Been there done that.

On our 1983 240D, its transmission and differential got changed twice in its life (so far with me; new owner now) when one of the seals on them started slinging fluid. Changing fluid stopped the slinging. Same thing for the power steering pump.

Unless you're going for extreme life, I'd consider them sealed for life.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
There is plenty of cases of people who have blown their 5th gear by not checking their trans fluid and letting it get too low.

Never checking it at all is probably the worst thing you can do IMO.

My 99.5 shifted MUCH better after I changed it's fluid.

Despite the popular myth that transmissions are sealed for life, they are in fact NOT.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Tranny oil

Stick with VW G60. Two liters should be plenty just to drain an refill.
I have done my Jettas and Beetle, both shifts a lot smoother after the oil change.
ALWAYS ALWAYS remove the filler plug first not the drain. I made a tool using a 17 mm Hex head bolt to remove the plugs.
Removing the belly pan and the top engine cover as well as the driver side wheel makes the job a lot easier.

Last edited: