Front Motor Mount Bolt

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
A few days ago, while driving through the ATM, the front motor mount bolt cracked, the engine apparently walked a little bit from side to side and took out my power steering hose which resulted in a tow back home.

I pulled the motor mount and am planning to replace it. I also sourced a replacement bolt. First of all, can anyone tell me if this is a stretch bolt?

Thanks,

h.ubk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Yes, it is. It probably broke because it wasn't replaced at the last TB job...

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Which bolt is this? One of the horizontal ones that go in the block or one of the vertical ones in the mount and bracket?

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
This is for the front motor mount -- the 17mm bolt on top. I just replaced both of them and put in a new front mount.

I have no idea on the ages of the other motor mount bolts. Should they be changed as well?

Thanks,

h.ubk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
stretch bolt? really? ive taken mine out 4 or 5 times in the past with no issue. no torque wrench, just wrench it down on the medium setting on my impact. There is something else going on with why it broke. look at your other mounts, im thinking your side motor mount next to the turbo is loos. The first time i took it out, i used blackforest's mount kit and the bolt was too long and the engine rocked back and forth so i reused the stock bolt, then i made my own mounts after some hokey puck mods and an engine pull. If its a stretch bolt i never have seen any data as to its use. Just go grab a grade 8 17mm bolt, i dont know the thread pitch. or junkyard a bolt. Only bolts that should be replaced like that are internals or flywheel bolts. otherwise a dab of locktight is used on just about every bolt i have ever taken off and reused unless its a critical bolt. heck ive reused the cam bolt about 6 times not at the 74 ftbls i keep it at with no issue.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked the other motor mount bolts today and they are just fine. I had pulled the top bolt a few times while figuring out how to do the starter motor a while ago and torqued it down pretty well.

h.ubk

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I’m sure the guys saying it’s a stretch bolt are thinking of the mk4... just replace the bolt and torque it to spec. Add a dab of locktite if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I have noticed this is a huge problem in looking for info on my car that many of them are written for the MK4 and assume certain things are the same for the MK3.

h.ubk