Chemical Reaction Kinetics of EGR in an Internal Combustion Engine-A Layman's Analogy

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Consider the combustion in the cylinders of an engine as a dance in a big hall. The oxygen (O2) molecule is a girl. I'll consider myself a fuel molecule and another group of guys as nitrogen (N2) molecules. In a room of, say, about 21% girls, 78% nitrogen and 1% fuel -- which reminds me of my University days, but we didn't even have it this good with 21% girls -- the nitrogen and the fuel are all in competition to pair up with the girls, but each at different rates of success: oxygen and nitrogen don't find each to be other attractive mates at all -- kinda like dating a sibling -- and have rather slow chemical reaction kinetics -- unless it gets REALLY HOT in places, like over 2000°C -- so they pair much less easily and frequently than fuel, where there's definitely lots of chemistry :D. Also, the incestuous offspring of nitrogen and oxygen are quite nasty, called NOx. If you pack the dance hall with more or fewer number of people (increase/decrease the pressure) but keep the percentages of the girls, nitrogen and fuel the same, your chances as a fuel molecule pairing with a girl remains about the same.

On the other hand, suppose now a whole bunch of other people come to the dance - goths, stoners, LGBT, eunuchs, etc., but also a bunch more nitrogen joining them. They have no interest or ability to pair with the girls; we'll call this group of people EGR or "inert species." Nevertheless, they pack the room and now the mix of people is about 10.5% girls, 39% nitrogen and 0.5% fuel from the original group and the rest (50%) are EGR. The party atmosphere in the dance hall has taken a decided turn for the worse with the presence of EGR; the reaction kinetics of the whole dance has been disturbed. Now girls almost don't pair at all with nitrogen, and even I am finding it more difficult to find a girl on the dance floor and when I do, it takes a lot more time and effort to pair with a girl successfully and the result is rather less passionate.

The important part is, the pairing of nitrogen and oxygen are greatly reduced or almost eliminated, so that we get a lot less of their nasty offspring NOx.

This is how EGR works in a dance hall - I mean, internal combustion engine.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
LOL. I love this explanation Dave. Now, can you explain how EGR is NOT a big, bad, boogie man to your engine, in layman's terms?

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Pretty sure I used the exact same analogy almost 5 years ago somewhere. I need to find that post.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Too bad all those stoners just walked through mud to get to the dance hall and leave a trail of filth wherever they go.

-J

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Sad news is, some of the offspring of the complete and successful consummation of fuel and oxygen (CO2 and H2O) become EGR... Soot are fuel/oxygen's quick lustful romps in a dance hall with far too much- or poorly distributed fuel for the available girls. When soot come back as EGR, like the dirty way in which they were created, they don't bother to clean themselves in the corridor to the dance hall and they cake up everything in their path.

Now, if the bouncer outside (EGR valve) locks the door shut to the EGR entry line, none can enter into the dance hall, but a lot more NOx leaves at the end of the night. Newer dance halls have a screening room on the way out where the soot are imprisoned and burned in eternal damnation (coming out as reformed normal offspring of fuel and oxygen (CO2 and H2O), the rest as garbage ash that must be purged from time-to-time lest they fill-up and clog the screening room). When they come back in to the dance floor in the future, the hallways are a lot cleaner since there's a lot less soot in the first place.

Some dance halls also have a type of additional room in the exit where NOx, the incestuous offspring of nitrogen and oxygen, get born again by a baptism of reductant (urea or HC), heat and a special bed of Zeolite or rare-earths - depending on reactant - to yield nitrogen and less-noxious species before going back out to the world.

You don't want to know what are HC and CO in this analogy... :D :D.

Anyone want to tackle explaining HCCI in similar terms? :D

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
So, I suppose defeating an EGR is the equivalent of raw dogging any girl you can get your hands on, damn the consequences.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
So, I suppose defeating an EGR is the equivalent of raw dogging any girl you can get your hands on, damn the consequences.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I'm OK with my engine not eating its own feces in an attempt to recycle it, like some dogs do.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I'm OK with my engine not eating its own feces in an attempt to recycle it, like some dogs do.
Dogs detect undigested protein and don't want to waste it. They are much like Prius drivers who hypermile.

pete 1234

TDI
sharan
egr

hi can any tell me if a small vacum leak from the brake servo can cause the egr valve not to work properley,the problem im having is lack of power 3rd and 4th auto gear box thanks pete

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
EGR also allows you to have higher dynamic compression with less parasitic loss.
Example:
You run 1.3 bar absolute boost for IQ of 20 (around what stock does).
Without EGR to get that intake boost of 0.3 bar the turbo needs to do X work to do Y flow at 1.3 PR. Power is work times time. In a turbo, that is basically pressure ratio * flow.

With egr on, stock EGR map says 560 mg/s so it will reduce the flow Y-some value (based on temperature etc). Boost is still 0.3 bar at the intake, but the flow is less... so less work done by the turbo, less loss of energy for the same dynamic compression.

Not sure whether EGR on or off in that condition makes more EMP or not, but that would also increase dynamic compression.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Great explanations. Dances were much less complicated when I went to school.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I almost snorted coffee all over my keyboard when I read that....

:D

Dogs detect undigested protein and don't want to waste it. They are much like Prius drivers who hypermile.

:)