TDI into Toyota (another one)

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
Just thinking. You think I will need some sort of restrictor on the line to the actuator. Just to "smooth" out the air signal going to the actuator. Mybe another needle valve is needed?

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm thinking i will also need a check valve inline with the brake booster, but pretty sure there is already one on my truck from the boosted ford SB V8 that lived there previously.

Jesse

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
Jay, I know you haven't drove much yet. How was the brakes on your truck? I have read on other forums that people complain about the brakes when you add the bigger tires. I like thinking, since I'm in Houston with idiots on the road, converting to Hydro-boost with making brackets to have 2 V6 calipers on the front and one on the rear with the Transfer-case parking brake.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Brakes

I drove it some when it had the V8 in it and the brakes were the last of my worries. Seemed to stop okay. I mean its not a brand new toyota Tundra with massive rotors and 4 piston calipers but it seems to stop just fine. I do have the newer V6 IFS spindle setups on the front axle but it is still drum in the rear.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who didn't mind driving around in my 1977 CJ-5 with manual drums on it and 33's... lol... now those brakes were insufficient but I just drive to the vehicles capability and never had any issues (except for a few wheel skids coming to stop signs Ha)...

Also, I would love a xfer case mounted e-brake. Its on the wish list, but still behind the 4 link rear suspension and cage which will happen first...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
yeah the rear drums are more than adequate on our yota's....the front disks on the tacomas leave much to be desired, they are not even as good as the 89-95 4x4 trucks, so I upgraded to the tundra calipers/rotors....super easy mod and makes a huge difference in the slow pedal feel~!

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
I stumbled across a kit to run the Early front rotors and calipers on the bake and then you're forced for other means for parking brake (ie transfer case kit). So I will try that out with V6 calipers on the front with hydro-boost when I get it up and running and go from there. I will be running 37" tires and with the way people drive in Houston, I want more, plus I like to play in mud and water....drums from my experiences, don't like water....lol.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Disc brakes

Just out of curiosity, where did you find this and how much $$? Prolly never happen but never say never...

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Progress is slow

The girlfriend's 2.7T allroad's tiptronic just decided it no longer wants to cooperate so that has moved to the top of the project list. ANd of course I can't do anything the easy way so I have begun a 6 speed conversion. Should be a nice car when completed but it is pushing the Toyota to the back burner for another couple weeks.... AGAIN!!!

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Brakes

JayTee,

I did the Sky Manufacturing rear disc conversion kit on my '84 using Caddy rotors. Worked well. There are now others. My next move is to install the Jamar hydraulic line lock as an e-brake. I'll put it right where the old one was. I have heard great things about it from the hardest core rock crawler guys around here rocking Fordyce and Rubicon trails.

Truck is looking good, mate!

EDIT: Ok, just kidding:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/71/category/112/

Last edited:

TDIinWI

TDI
'15 Jetta SE TDI (Current Chariot), '05 Passat TDI (RIP), '03 Beetle TDI (RIP), '00 Golf TDI (RIP), '98 Jetta TDI (RIP)
what a great project, I had always wanted to convert my 2000 tacoma to diesel, and looked at the half cab imports, but I found out it would be a much larger project since I was a dummy and opted for the V6 when I bought it. I love the yota, but hate the current fuel mileage. I also wonder, why the hell didnt they make a suicide door for the xtra cab ? Ideally I'd love to have an 04 diesel, we'll see if it ever happens. Glad to see your project is coming along nicely.

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Allroad conversion is coming along (couldn't leave well enough alone so it is going to be a stage 2 2.7t) so hopefully will get back on the toyota here in the next couple weeks. It's killing me to keep walking by it. Although I can't wait to drive that allroad...

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
JayTee,

I did the Sky Manufacturing rear disc conversion kit on my '84 using Caddy rotors. Worked well. There are now others. My next move is to install the Jamar hydraulic line lock as an e-brake. I'll put it right where the old one was. I have heard great things about it from the hardest core rock crawler guys around here rocking Fordyce and Rubicon trails.

Truck is looking good, mate!

EDIT: Ok, just kidding:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/71/category/112/

Another good cheap option is a hydraulic ball valve.

http://stores.ushydraulicsales.com/-strse-Dynamic-cln-High-Pressure-Ball-Valves/Categories.bok

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Please don't part it out yet ... give me a chance to talk one of my friends into it! Such a damn steal at that price. Jesus!

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i started it last night

Well,

Went out and looked at it and figured that if I am going to sell it I might as well get it running. I charged the battery and touched the key and Knock knock knock, she fired right up. Hearing it is giving me second thoughts. That combined with the idiots calling me that I know just want to make money on it are making me think I might pull the ad and just finish it, throw a plow on it and use it... Feeling confused... lol

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
JayTee013, $6800 is a deal for sure. Jimbote's right - if you sell it, set the reserve at 10K. Or finish it, drive it 'til something breaks (like my throwout bearing or input shaft bearing just did), then sell it. You'll know by then whether or not it's worth keeping. I will definitely be keeping mine, although like you, I am not super excited about taking everything apart again :rolleyes: I'd venture to say you'll be really pleased with it when you finish it and it's fully driveable. FWIW.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
what cummins said ^^^....fix it and drive it for awhile...you'll always regret never enjoying all the hard work....I've put over 35k very satisfying miles on my swap so far and loved every minute of it... ;).... besides you need to drive it so all the toyota TDI swap dudes can have a western jamboree get2gether :D

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the Toy-wagen has moved on to a new owner... Nice kid and I have no doubt he will finish it and he has the time to give the project the proper attention it needs. As an added bonus to the sale and since he is close by, I was granted a ride in the 'finished' project. Although things like this are never finished...

On another note, Just went out and bought a Tacoma plow truck on saturday so when the 3.4 gives up I might be back in the swap business, but hopefully not for awhile.

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
Good to hear it went to a good home! Hard to give up these things...giving it to a good owner always helps.

Haha...waiting on the 3.4 to blow, don't hold your breath ;)

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
tacoma

250k miles on it and just broken in. ha ha. thing still purrs like a kitten.

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI
For the jetta:

1.)Vr6 wagon springs rear and front?
2.)What shocks were used? Bilstein HD? for what car and engine; wagon, sedan and vr6 or tdi? Does it matter?

TDI
Toyota TDI
alternator

How'd you wire up the alternator? The toyota uses a 3 wire plug (sense, light, ignition). The vw only uses a two wire plug.