What year?

Delete

TDI
2011 Jetta
Hello! My name is Tara

I've wondered onto this forum looking for information on A3 TDI engines. I am currently leasing a Fusion and that will be ended within the next year. I want to plan ahead and get everything in order. My biggest concern is reliability and mods. I had a 04 6.0L Powerstroke that about killed me. I had nothing but bad luck with it. I "wanted" it to be a drag truck, but it wanted to stay in the shop.

So now I'm looking to try a TDI. I do like mods and playing around with my vehicles. I don't like driving stock, it bothers me. I want to have a plan of what needs to be done to my TDI before I get it. Though, I want to make sure I get the best year for the A3.

I am on a budget so I am looking towards a 13 or older. I have been doing a lot of reading and I'm leaning towards a 2011? What is the best year for the A3 and what needs to be done to make it reliable before I start throwing mods at it? I already have an EGR delete on the list. I have also been reading they have transmission problems?

I really don't want to end up with another problematic diesel. I understand that it's always a risk and it always depends on how well it was maintained. But I'd like to go with the best route possible.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
It looks like they don't have a lot of data on the more recent models, and I do not see a link to separate the TDIs from the gassers, but true delta.com has pretty good reliability stats for many cars. I'm sure others will come in. Welcome.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
After deleting emissions they are really solid cars. Only remaining issue is the hpfp failures which I'm sure you've read about.

What state do you live in?

Last edited:

Delete

TDI
2011 Jetta
Whoop, sorry for the late reply. I work in sales at a Ford dealer and end of year/new year is hectic.

I am in NE Ohio, all the mechanic shops I've contacted thus far are unable or unwilling to do an EGR delete or anything emissions related :( thanks EPA

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Whoop, sorry for the late reply. I work in sales at a Ford dealer and end of year/new year is hectic.

I am in NE Ohio, all the mechanic shops I've contacted thus far are unable or unwilling to do an EGR delete or anything emissions related :( thanks EPA
I'm with you, a stock vehicle can always be improved upon.

Especially when you factor in the price of replacing a dpf, all your fuel savings go out the window then! Have you considered an older TDI?

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
No significant issues with my 2012 so far. Only CEL was for a sticky exhaust flap covered under warranty. Currently at 46k miles. Not sure what I'll do with dpf it it ever reaches the ash limit. Depends whether it will affect resale in Maryland.