A Month and 5,000 miles

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
I’ve had my A3 TDI for a little over a month, and a little over 5,000 miles now, and thought it might be useful to share some of my observations. It’s a white Premium Plus with black interior (I wanted brown), and Navigation Plus with Connectivity, Driver Assistance Package, and Convenience Package.

First off, I like it. I’ve always been a big fan of small, well-appointed sedans, almost an oxymoron until now, and this Audi is probably about as close to my ideal as I am likely to get. Sure, it’s smaller than a Corolla, as one poster has pointed out, but that’s fine with me because it’s just me: I don’t have a wife, 2.4 kids and a dog. And the trunk is plenty big enough for my purposes: a couple of suitcases, a computer bag and some miscellaneous stuff. I am currently on a cross-country trip and can drive much longer each day than in my lately traded Passat or Jetta without feeling beaten to death. On the highway, the car hits its stride at about 80 mph, ideal for cruising the wide open spaces of the West. It’s a great car below 80, too, but it’s even better at or over.

The only problem with cruising at 80+ is that’s about where the fuel economy goes over a cliff. I’d been getting in the low to mid-40s (hand calculated) around home in eastern Massachusetts, but the higher speeds have driven the MPGs into the mid to high 30s, and even lower, on occasion. Perhaps a change to winter blend fuel can account for part of that. The discrepancies between the car’s computer and my own calculations continue to mystify, and there’s no consistency. For example, on two back-to-back fill ups the car’s FE 2 computer said 43.5 MPG, both times. My hand calculation for the first was around 37.5 and the second was 41.5. Go figure. The smallish tank limits the effective range to around 425-450 miles vs 500+ in the Passat and Jetta.

UPDATE: I just filled up at Ft. Huachuca, AZ. FE 2 read 45.9 while my hand calculation came out to 45.5. That's on a tankful that was almost all 80 MPH from east of El Paso. Hm. I fill it the same way, to the brim, every time. I am beginning to wonder if air is getting trapped in the tank sometimes but not others. I can't think of anything else that would account for such a lack of consistency between the car's computer and the hand calculations.

Only one problem so far, and it’s a true first world problem: the online audio streaming packs up arbitrarily and for long periods of time. It didn’t work when I first got the car. Took it to the dealer who said it worked fine, and sure enough, it worked fine … for a few weeks. Then it quit again in Missouri only to come back to life a week or so later in Texas. Everything else with the WiFi connection works great: I can surf the web, stream audio from my smartphone via the Bluetooth, etc., only the Audi streaming doesn’t work, until it does again.

Took it to the Audi dealer in El Paso for its 5000 mile service and mentioned the WiFi problem. Not only couldn’t they fix the WiFi, this was the first A3 TDI they’d seen and they didn’t even have an oil filter for it, so no 5000 mile service either. I’ll try Tucson this week.

Not so petty peeves:

Unlike any other car I have ever owned, or heard of, the sun visor can’t be extended when you want to block the sun from the driver’s or passenger’s side windows. Really annoying. Solution 1: buy a Jetta. Solution 2: get one of those floppy hats birdwatchers wear. Might look funny, but it works great and I needed one anyway.

Visibility out the back: both on the road and backing up. Large blind spots and lots of neck craning backing out of parking spaces. Solution: get the Driver Assistance Package. $1400 is a lot of money for a back-up camera, but the DAP also includes a blind spot monitor for both right and left, and four electronic curb feelers fore and aft with an MMI diagram to let you know where you are too close to something. Just having the blind spot monitor makes the $1400 seems a lot more reasonable.

Would I buy an A3 TDI again? Definitely, but this time I’d go for a Prestige, white with brown interior and all the bells and whistles. The options I got are impressive so I'd like to find out how good the rest are.

Last edited:

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Massachusetts to Ft Huachuca is some drive! If you are able to make it to Audi North Scottsdale (out of the way from any interstate) they are one of the top rated in the country and will surely have the parts needed.

But anyways, the 2011-2014 Jetta (not sure about 2015) only have the visor extension on the driver's side, not the passengers. So, I guess you're still better but I think VAG is trying pretty hard to cut costs.

Interesting to see MPG variation. The computer for the A6 is usually consistent with itself, but hand calc is always lower OR higher depending on the drive. Such as driving to California, it is typically lower. Short bursts up through the mountains (1800ft to 7000 and back) it is always higher.

My A6 has a sport-tuned suspension on it from the factory and it is (IMO) much less comfortable than the Jetta for long trips. Around town it doesn't matter, but 400+ miles I prefer the VW.

At 90mph is where my MPGs fall down. RPMs are pushing 2k at that point and the V6 sucks, not sips.

IIRC only the A3 and 2015 A8 has LTE capability. I'm on Tmobile 3G and it's slo......w.

Good to hear you're liking it! We need more Audi folks on here

Seppoboy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT, traded due to seat discomfort, hello BMW 328xd
Thanks for the thorough update, good to hear.

Does the A3 have 5,000 mile service intervals, or is there a one-time service at 5k? My old VWs had 10k intervals, and I am getting 10-11k on the BMW service indicator. Long service intervals are a must-have for me at 30k miles annual driving.

A3 is nice, but I found even the A4 back seat to have too little room, and can barely squeeze into the A3 rear seat. Jetta and especially Passat spoiled me for space, that's for sure.

ChinaBob

TDI
There's an initial free service at 5,000 miles and then every 10,000 miles after that. You can buy a service package to cover the 15, 25, 35 and 45K services for $810 - about half of what they's cost without the package.

I also had a seat discomfort problem with my 2013 Passat TDI SEL. Traded it for a Jetta premium with nav. Better but still not good. The A3 with its 12 way power seat seems to have fixed the problem.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
This sounds like a fun break-in trip. I did a similar thing with my new JSW TDI when I got it - Miami to Seattle in 6 days by myself. Yes, it's the RPMs for the most part that kill fuel usage, but you're correct that winter blend will also knock off 10 to 15 %. In the neck of the woods where you are now, their winter blend may not even exist. Hopefully that's why you noted an improvement, but break-in also helps. I also hate black interiors and I have one, so I understand. As for visibility, I recommend a passenger's side mirror from the UK, so it's convex to use on your driver's side. It takes a day or two to get accustomed to it and then it's really helpful. It will not solve all of your problems, but hopefully it will make a difference. Have fun on the rest of the trips you encounter.

ChinaBob

TDI
Update at 8500+ miles:

My marathon road trip continues on to Portland, OR. All the car's functions are working perfectly with one exception, which I'll go into below. The hand-calculated fuel economy has settled into the low-40s for sustained 75~80+ MPH driving while the fuel economy 2 display pretty consistently shows about 5 mpg more.

The one problem area is the Audi MMI app on my Android that controls music streaming, car finder, pictures destinations and online destinations. None of them really work well, and some don't work at all. I am guessing that the bugs are all or mostly in the app, which in my former hi tech world would not even qualify as alpha software, let alone beta.

All these bugs with the MMI app have lead me to develop a notion about why all this cool stuff went into the A3 first, before the higher line models. I have to wonder if we're the guinea pigs, or the alpha and beta testers if you will, finding all the bugs so Audi can fix them before migrating these "features" into the A6s, A8s, etc.

Fortunately, none of these problems affect the basic functioning of the car. It does all the on-board stuff just fine, including the Google maps, etc. I can certainly live with the bugs in the MMI app until Audi gets them fixed.

I am just in the process of replacing my Google Nexus 5 phone for the Republic Wireless Motorola Moto X Gen. 2 for other reasons and I'll see if it makes any difference in getting the app to run better. So far, the Moto X has synched right up with the bluetooth, downloaded the phone book, and connected up with the Audi's WiFi, so things look promising.

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Update at 8500+ miles:

The one problem area is the Audi MMI app on my Android that controls music streaming, car finder, pictures destinations and online destinations. None of them really work well, and some don't work at all. I am guessing that the bugs are all or mostly in the app, which in my former hi tech world would not even qualify as alpha software, let alone beta.
I have to agree, the phone integration portion of MMI is awful . It's a clever idea to build the compatibility into the phone rather than the unit itself, but the implementation is very, very poor. Having to run the app all the time is quite annoying. Might be ok if everything worked, but it doesn't. The phone integration, bluetooth, music streaming, etc in my 3 year old VW is far better. Completely seamless. Given MMI retails for $2600, the price of two to three laptops, at best its a big disappointment, at worst a ripoff.

ChinaBob

TDI
The one problem area is the Audi MMI app on my Android that controls music streaming, car finder, pictures destinations and online destinations. None of them really work well, and some don't work at all.

I am just in the process of replacing my Google Nexus 5 phone for the Republic Wireless Motorola Moto X Gen. 2 for other reasons and I'll see if it makes any difference in getting the app to run better. So far, the Moto X has synched right up with the bluetooth, downloaded the phone book, and connected up with the Audi's WiFi, so things look promising.
Um, I am going to have to take back some of the nasty things I said about the Audi MMI app. Replacing the Google Nexus 5 with the Motorola Moto X has made all the difference in the world. The internet Music Streaming works as it should, as does the Picture Destination, as far as I can tell. The Car Finder looks to be right on, but the online destination still needs a bit of work; it pinpointed an address across the street from the one I put in.

The only time the Moto X music streaming didn't work was when it was sharing the armrest storage compartment with the Nexus 5, even though the latter was turned off! (It had worked perfectly when the Nexus wasn't in the car.) Deleting the Nexus 5 Bluetooth pairing in the MMI and disabling Bluetooth in the Nexus 5 fixed the problem. I don't know whether the discrepancies are in the hardware or OS (I'd upgraded the Nexus 5 to Lollipop (version 5.0)) but kept the Moto X the way it came, with KitKat (4.4.4) and I am not upgrading it anytime soon.

One final note: the Republic Wireless Moto X $10 a month plan may just be ideal phone for a car with its own WiFi, like, for instance, an A3.

Last edited:

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Um, I am going to have to take back some of the nasty things I said about the Audi MMI app. Replacing the Google Nexus 5 with the Motorola Moto X has made all the difference in the world. The internet Music Streaming works as it should, as does the Picture Destination, as far as I can tell. The Car Finder looks to be right on, but the online destination still needs a bit of work; it pinpointed an address across the street from the one I put in.

The only time the Moto X music streaming didn't work was when it was sharing the armrest storage compartment with the Nexus 5, even though the latter was turned off! (It had worked perfectly when the Nexus wasn't in the car.) Deleting the Nexus 5 Bluetooth pairing in the MMI and disabling Bluetooth in the Nexus 5 fixed the problem. I don't know whether the discrepancies are in the hardware or OS (I'd upgraded the Nexus 5 to Lollipop (version 5.0)) but kept the Moto X the way it came, with KitKat (4.4.4) and I am not upgrading it anytime soon.

One final note: the Republic Wireless Moto X $10 a month plan may just be ideal phone for a car with its own WiFi, like, for instance, an A3.
Glad its better for you. Changing phones aint happening for me, month old iPhone 6. Still thumbs down from the Apple side of the camp. Hopefully we'll see some updates soon.

ChinaBob

TDI
Changing phones aint happening for me, month old iPhone 6. Still thumbs down from the Apple side of the camp. Hopefully we'll see some updates soon.

Take heart, the fact that these functions are in an app are on balance a good thing I think. It means that you don't have to schelp your car down to the dealer when fixes become available, you can just download them to your phone. Having an app also means not only more convenient bug fixes but easier enhancements as the software matures and stabilizes. Logic tells me that iPhone app upgrades should be at the top of Audi's To Do list because of the preponderance of iPhones in circulation as well as the relative simplicity of having only a limited number of hardware platforms and operating systems to code for. Woe be it to us Android jockeys who ride a dizzying array of hardware platforms, not to mention various custom OS tweaks for various carriers. The permutations and combinations are mind boggling.

That being said, I got lucky with buying the Republic Wireless Moto X. Their custom tweak, some of it in the hardware so you have to buy their phone, shifts phone calls and text messages to WiFi when available, which for most of us is most of the time, and doubly or triply so if you have an A3 with connectivity. Their phone only uses the cell network when there's no WiFi, cutting monthly phone bills down to a fraction of what most plans cost. I figure my break even point to pay for the phone is less than a year. (YMMV depending on which of the four plans you choose.) The big bonus for an A3 owner is that the Moto X plays well with the MMI app.

So, let's see, I bought a $40,000 car and a $400 phone to save 40 bucks a month on my phone bill. Yeah, that works. :D

Last edited:

ChinaBob

TDI
The big bonus for an A3 owner is that the Moto X plays well with the MMI app.
Oops, not so fast ChinaBob! There are days when it logs in just fine but refuses to play the audio streaming. It seems to happen first thing in the morning after the phone has been on another WiFi network. Simple solution: turn the phone off, then back on again. This apparently resets something left over from the previous network. I hate to think that this might have been my problem, and solution, all along. Live and learn.

Otherwise, my A3 turns 10,000 miles today, on Route 1 between Monterey and Cambria, CA. Couldn't think of a nicer setting. Other than the above mentioned hassles with the audio streaming in the MMI app and a couple of other niggles with the MMI the car has performed perfectly - no other issues at all.