"Gold Standard" UOA for 2004-2005 Passat TDIs

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I noticed that someone has posted today a "gold standard" for FE wear of around 30-40 for the 1.9L TDI motors, but it seems that every single UOA I have seen for the 2.0 PD motor seems to have FE rates above 50 at least. My last UOA had numbers in the 70s and I have since changed and will do again (probably at the dieselgrandad GTG in Fondy).

So can any of your gurus pipe in about what you folks feel the optimum 2.0 PD FE rate is for the 2004-05 PD Passat TDI motors? Thanks of course in advance! ;)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Iron wear rates.

In other words the amount of metal coming off the cylinder walls, right? Which equates to the wearing of the cyclinder walls, the main indication of overall life of the engine since compression is the primary factor for a diesel enging to keep working.

I believe chromium is the rings wear.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
owr084 said:
As Far As I Know

You must not get out on the internet often:rolleyes:. BTW (By the way), google returns 4,750,000 hits alone if you search on AFAIK...;)
No. I actually get out on the web a lot and understand many of the acronyms.

Expecting me to look up a shortcut that someone else took is just rude. It is the responsibility of the writer to explain if asked, not mine to do extra work because they chose to be lazy, even if the acceptable norm for some.

What's the next expectation? Someone posts in a foreign language and we should all indivdually have to do the translation?

Duh! Common sense needs to prevail.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
TomB said:
No. I actually get out on the web a lot.

I choose to speak english the language I speak, not take the lazy route and use acronyms instead of words. Just like I don't speak slang. I speak plain old english.

I should not have to do the extra work of searching the web in order to "translate" shortcuts used by others in conversations. The expectation that I should do this is just rude.
ROTFLMAO!!!! :D

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
TomB said:
No. I actually get out on the web a lot.

I choose to speak english the language I speak, not take the lazy route and use acronyms instead of words. Just like I don't speak slang. I speak plain old english.

I should not have to do the extra work of searching the web in order to "translate" shortcuts used by others in conversations. The expectation that I should do this is just rude.
Then I guess you chose not to be versed in emoticons or smileys too... Here's a hint - this one ";)" means "I'm just ribbing you. Don't take things so seriously."

So, you mean to tell mean to tell me that you always say "exhaust gas recirculation" valve instead of egr valve? Or positive crankcase ventilation valve instead of pcv valve? Injection pump vice IP? Timing belt and not TB?:rolleyes:;)<--the two smileys are used to mean "yeah, right" in a sarcastic, yet joking, light-hearted manner

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Man are you guys veering off topic on this one! I am phrasing it again. Ok I am asking again, does anybody know of the "gold standard" UOA (used oil analysis) for the 2.0 Passat TDI motor for the cars that were made 2004-2005. In particular what is the better range for Iron (FE) on these cars.

I am mainly curious to see what those numbers are on cars that are in the broken in range (lets say 80000 miles).

Fisher

TDI
none
You should use a convention of ppm/1k miles. Different people change at different mileage. Just guessing, but 4-5 ppm Fe/1k miles seems to be pretty normal for both engines. Obviously, the lower the better.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Fisher said:
Just guessing, but 4-5 ppm Fe/1k miles seems to be pretty normal for both engines. Obviously, the lower the better.
I may have seen one 4-5 ppm UOA from a Passat. Why do you guess that this is pretty normal?