Do i need a block heater??

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
no probably not I have started my car down to -40 F without one, It did not like it but it did start..... What I would say is having one will:

1. Ease the Stress on the starter
2. Deliver oil to essential components faster (Due to the Oil Being already Warm)
3. Reduce overall Stress on the Battery
4. Cabin Will already have heat when you start the car. ( No Matter How Cold it is outside)

My vote would be to put one on it anyway, If you cant do it immediately it will not be that big of a deal. Hope this helps

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Have an air chizzle if your going to put the freezer block heater in. its a great heater and takes up no room but its a PITA to get the plug out.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Ive put one on every diesel car we have......priceless when it's 0F out.....plus you have some heat too while driving.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
How hard is a FrostHeater to put on and are they worth the effort?

I was going to say that a Frostheater is a much better solution than attempting to put in a blockheater.

However - If you have followed the basic guidelines -
1) - Good battery
2) - Proper engine oil
3) - Good, fresh fuel appropriate for your area for winterization
You shouldn't have any problems starting , even in the dead of winter. Just wait for the pigtail to go out, then continue to start.

BTW - windchill has zero effect on the car - you're more concerned with what the real temperature is.

I've started my 2000 NB in 0-10 F no problems - and there are members who live in colder locations who also don't have problems. Pittsburg isn't even a hard test.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I don't think a 2003 has a frost plug, does it? So a block heater isn't really an option. Frostheater (coolant heater) would be the way to go.
But like was said before, the car should start regardless, the heater is more for ease of mind, creature comfort, and to make cold starts easier on the hardware.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
Do you need one? No.

Should you get one? Yes. A frostheater is even better.

You get heat much quicker and it's significantly easier on your starter, battery, and other engine components.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
frost heater is better, starts car, warm air immediately. freeze plug heater, just warm engine, not colt, no heat when air is on from the start. but the core plug heater draws way less watts and does the job and takes less time to warm up the air as well. So if you dont mind paying more on your utility bill in the winter then go for the frost heater inline on your coolant system. i dont have that much room left in my engine bay so i whent with the freeze plug heater. The freeze plug heater costs half as much as the frostheater too.
your choice.
I put mine on a timer to it only starts warming up at 5am vs always on. 3 hours and its warm enough. no difference vs always on.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
As far as I know.....no.
Acquaticmind , it takes about an hour, you should drain as much of your coolant as possible into a clean container to reuse after you install the frost heater.
As stated by others .... you don't need it, but once you have it you will wonder why you waited so long epically when the temp drops to zero and below......just my .02.

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
No freeze plugs in a Alh ,and similar blocks. Thus the frost heater . I use a 1500 watt Alaskan pad attached to the oil pan with high temp silicone.
You might be able to drill your block to put a block heater in , but I doubt it.
Cheers

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The ALH does not have freeze plugs, so a standard block heater isn't an option.

The 1Z/AHU does have freeze plugs and can use a block heater. I love mine (wagon only) but they're not needed. I've started my B4 sedan at -35°F unaided before and we have weeks of subzero temps. The near instant heat is nice though.

Frostheaters in certain cars take up a ton of real estate, I despise them on the B4 since they take up so much room and are usually in the way. I prefer a battery blanket, anti-gel in the fuel, and a magnetic heater to warm the oil. The Frostheater does nothing to warm the oil or fuel either.

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI ALH
Hey folks,
i just moved to the Pittsburgh area and I was wondering if you folks thought that it got cold enough up here to need a block heater?

Thanks

I love my frostheater.....I'm in MN so it's a lot colder but just having your engine up to operating temp almost immediately will be easier on the engine and give you instant heat and more importantly DEFROST ABILITY....foggy windows/shield can be dicey in these diesels when the only way to get defrost heat is drive.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So do the tdi's have a freeze plug or not that allows for the install of a block heater? I'm hearing yes and no on this thread.
all engines have freeze plugs, that i know of. never heard of a engine block with out them. i did not know the alh does not have them. thats so dam odd. WHY would they do that?

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
Love my frost heater too in Northern NH. Just tested on the weekend it was only 9, but wanted to makes sure it was operational as expected... they get hot... You wont be sorry and they are easily installed with ramps...
I love my frostheater.....I'm in MN so it's a lot colder but just having your engine up to operating temp almost immediately will be easier on the engine and give you instant heat and more importantly DEFROST ABILITY....foggy windows/shield can be dicey in these diesels when the only way to get defrost heat is drive.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I live in Edmonton, Alberta and have no EXTRA Heater... Never a problem. The car is parked in an unheated Garage and starts like a charm...!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Pittsburgh? I say not needed except for rare occasions. It would extend battery life a bit.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The block gets hot, temp gauge and my scan gauge read about 190 f.