Is the end of my TDI near?

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
As soon as VW comes up with the cash offer for my car, I think the 24 or is it 25? year relationship with diesel may be nigh.
The wagen has a Westfalia hitch is anyone with a 2009+ wants it, and wants to swap out their rear bumper rail. Otherwise it goes to VW.
Not sure what is next but with an only 20 minute 17-km commute, it is not worth it for me to continue with diesel.
It has been good, though.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Its really not worth it unfortunately. Many gas cars will get you the same mpg around town, only on long highway drives will you see any major gain, and that's when not spending hundreds in repairs. Its a shame really.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
My main deterrent for the diesels, now that I don't have to commute anymore either, is the "let's flip a coin and see if it starts" in the cold winter days. Having said that, the newer TDI engines like to crank better in the dead of winter.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The mk7 1.8T appears to be the start to the end. Coolant lines through the exhaust manifold to drop EGTs is the start towards VGT gas motors, which will make torque like a diesel and way better top end power. Those motors with a fairly reasonable tune will make 220hp/250lb-ft on our dyno, and the bottom end torque is similar to an EA288. Yes the diesel makes another 50lb-ft tuned, but 250 is plenty for everyday use, the cars are ~5k cheaper, heat up faster, and don't have particulate filters (yet...) to worry about.

It'll be a long time before either Mark or I don't have a diesel, looking into doing another T3 aaz in a mk1 myself just for the fun factor. But we've also got over 30kwhr of batteries kicking around to play with, and that's before considering anything that might go in a vehicle.

When you can press a button on an app to heat your car up and defrost the windows in the am without starting an engine or opening the garage door, it won't be long until the masses move over to those platforms. For a majority of users a 100-150 mile range EV works great for daily use, then they can have toys for the weekend. Electrics are coming, fast, governments are getting involved in a big way now and that giga factory is the start of many. I've already seen a leaf motor stuffed in a CRX that runs mid 12s and there will be off the shelf options sooner than you'd think http://www.bosch-presse.de/presspor...bosch-e-axle-offers-greater-range-121216.html

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Indeed the day of ICE engines are numbered, never mind diesels... It's a shame for us enthusiasts or what people like to call "petrolheads". I love diesels, the sound, the torque, and the general principle of compression ignition, but the complexity of diesels (especially modern ones) leading to higher purchase prices, maintainence costs (I know this one is debatable) and price of fuel being negligible between rug and ulsd makes diesel not make much sense in the real world... It's really a technology (at least in North America) for those who just love diesel or actually do so much driving it somewhat makes sense. I will argue that the bigger SUVs make more sense in diesel, but that's about it... I'll still buy a diesel if the price is right just for the sake of driving a diesel

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I ended my 17+ year run with VW diesel with a Chevy diesel, only cause i wasn't gonna swap a 2015 for a 2015 and wanted a truck

Who knows, might be the last vehicle i own that is diesel powered as i would like to keep it for the long haul

I love my diesels, but with the maintenance driving up the cost, and not much savings, maybe it is time to go gas

the question is once the manual is dead, Electric will like run supreme

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Over on the heavy truck side of things, diesel will be here for some time.

CAT and Robert transport Dove into CNG and LNG as a fuel for OTR trucking, and have had some success, at the very least they have diversified in case crude jumps in price.

EV's are coming on the heavy side, but will likely find application in last-mile delivery to start - just not enough range or options for EV power when you need to haul from Toronto to Vancouver and your SLA is 4 days.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I'd hate to admit it, but the Dodge Cummins I just drove 1600k in rode pretty nice :) I enjoyed the exhaust brake too.

As far as passenger car diesels, they are dead in North America and will start to diminish world wide. Hoard em while you can!